NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Freezing

eubankclare

If you're referring to parrot mix, yes you can. Some people use very little parrot mix so it goes in the freezer. That's also done to kill any small seed bugs that may be in the bag. If you're referring to veggies, it's best to buy the mixed variety that is in the store freezers . It's sold as steamed veggies. Don't really know if those veggies could be refrozen. If you freeze reg veggies and thaw them out, more than likely, they'll be mushy and lose their crispiness.

Sure it is, lots of the members make batchs of different foods, mashes and such and freeze it in small containers, in fact an ice cube tray works great for mashes and bean mixes, you just empty them out into a freezer safe container after they are frozen and then you get out what you need and thaw in the microwave oven.

Please don't forget the fresh food!. Some veggies get stronger tasting after freezing, such as broccoli..Please make sure you pre wash with organic apple cider vinegar, or "GFS" [Grape Fruit Seed Extract!!!]

Thanks

This may sound silly but why cant it just be washed in water?

I wont forget fresh but i was just thinking if i do a cooking session i know ill always have something there just incase

All fruits and veggies have not only dirt, but pesticide's, germs, oil's etc on them, Vinegar and GFS are disinfectants! Thanks

We make mash in batches that last 6 months at a time. This works:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6401559_make-parrot-mash.html

I also buy fresh veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc) and grind it up and freeze about 2 week's worth in sandwich bags.

We have 7 fids and we have to do stuff like that to speed up morning feeding or we'd never get to work on time. When I'm organized, it takes only about 15 minutes to reload fresh water, pellets and dish out a wet bowl of mash + veggies for 3 cages (and clean up any morning poo that didn't make it to the trash can lol).

Edited by Lambert58

To start with, this recipe is un safe for our Greys. See this warning;;;;Do not use with out further research!!! I won't feed this to my fids....Jayd

THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION!!!!

Sprouted lima beans and navy beans are poisonous - do not use lima beans!!! The following beans are good to use: pinto, black, lentils, pigeon, barley, whole green peas not split, mung, kidney, garbanzo or chick peas. Natural rice, wheat, rye, barley, sunflower and safflower seeds are also nutritional sources for sprouts.

Step 3 in this recipe:

1. Add soaked, sprouting beans to the stock pot. Add water, covering beans with an excess of approximately 2 inches of water.

TOXIC OR UNHEALTHY BIRD FOODS

Avoid anything high is salt, sugar, and fat content.

Alcohol

Apple seeds

Apricot pits

Asparagus

Avocado (entire plant and fruit)

Beans - Kidney, Lima

Beans, any dried

Butter

Caffeine

Carbonated beverages

Cherry pits

Chocolate

Cigarette tobacco

Dried fruits (containing sulfides or sulphates)

Egg Plant

Gatorade

Milk/cream in large quantities

Nectarine pits

Olives

Onions (raw or cooked)

Peach pits

Pear pips

Plum pits

Raw Peanuts

Rhubarb

Tobacco

Tomato (entire plant, a little fruit okay)

• According to Avian Web, soaking the beans for a minimum of 24 hours is a must. Many of the beans used in this recipe contain toxins. If the beans are not properly rinsed and cooked, the toxins could damage a parrot's kidneys and liver.

THE INTENSE COOKING WILL DESTROY ANY BENEFIT THIS MIGHT HAVE HAD!!

Things You'll Need:This is the recipe...

3/4 cup black beans

• 3/4 cup lima beans
  • 3/4 cup kidney beans
  • 3/4 cup soybeans
  • 3/4 cup garbanzo beans
  • 3/4 cup black-eyed beans
  • 3/4 cup great northern white beans
  • 3/4 cup brown rice
  • 3/4 cup crushed barley
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup rolled wheat berries
  • 1 1/2 cups millet