NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bazil the quaker

JJsHoney

Bazil my 3 year old evil quaker lol can't fly, he never seems to get lift and only glides down the floor, I bought bazil when he was just weaned from a breeder at a flea market (ugh I KNOW) on impulse, and not knowing anything about quakers. So I went home jumped on line and did as much reading about him and his species as possible (to know then what I know now! ha ha) and thats when I noticed he had already been clipped :mad: upon closer inspection it was a butcher job :( I think they just went at him with scissors and didn't pay attention to what they were doing. So I cleaned up their hack job and made his wings as even on both sides and proper as I could.. but my poor little buddy never got the chance to learn.. is there anyway to help him? I know its been a loooonnnnggg time but whenever he flies he lands hard and pants for a long time, even just on a short trip from the cage top to the floor, (he flaps his wings so fast and hard).

100_1104.jpg

100_1866..jpg

Edited by JJsHoney

How cute!!! Weight lifting!!!!! Perch him on your finger, lightly put tour thumb across his feet, lift him over your head then bring your arm down, soon on the down stroke,hopefully he'll start flapping his wings.

Jayd

Ah, he's so cute Bonnie! What about perching Basil on top of his cage, standing on the sofa and jumping off whilst waving your arms madly in an up and down motion? Mmm, thought I'd seen it in a film before!!

Good luck in your training - can't wait to hear how successful you are! :)

No Dave, they are all grown in all except for 2 which he just lost due to moulting, I have not clipped him since I brought him home (9/22/2007), he was hatched 6/17/2007 and living in his breeders rabbit cages :( no perches just bowls of food and water on the floor they climbed everywhere..

ooh and just a little bit of info he was baby number 20 from his parents that year

The #20 really isn't part of the situation. Quakers can have 3 to 4 clutches a year with between 5 to 7 chicks in each clutch. It just may be that your bird simply doesn't know how to fly. Just to be light hearted, he just didn't start off on the right wing. Many greys have the same problem as well as other species of parrots. I don't think the clipping really was a problem unlesss the your Q was clipped as a baby and kept that way for a long time. Some can fly and have no coordination or a sense of how to land. I don't think your bird will suffer though. After all, he's being treated with honey and spice and everything nice, right?

LoL @ Dave!! Now if we could only convince Bazil that I am treating him nice! hahaha

I know him being # 20 had nothing to do with it, but I was reading his hatch certificate and just thought it was a neat factoid :)

ok, well if you don't think he is suffering than I am ok :) I will continue lining the floor with blankets when he is out...