NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Desperate need of Help

Glassy

Well, I just looked at those pictures and your bird doesn't look like anything you've described. Actually, I should have looked at those pictures before but I didn't know they were posted. Full amount of feathers, looks like a healthy bird in general. Just like any other grey. If you've seen white and grey feathers, it was molting. So, the only problems you really have are some of the other things that have to do with personality and acceptance of new but strange things that are going on in a new environment with a new household habits with new people etc.

PS--concerning weight gain-------greys aren't known to gain weight easily. Very hard to do. If anything, a person needs to watch out for weight loss which happens just about every time a grey has some type of serious illness. Weight loss is the reason why so many people have scales. Rarely is the the subject of weight gain discussed. Even a cage bound grey won't gain much weight. People worry that their baby greys don't weigh as much as they've heard it should weigh but that has to do with the size structure of the parents.

The important thing that happens at a vet's office is that

1---the vet checks the general structure of the bird--small, medium or large type, and then explains what general weight the bird should be concerning it's size and rarely does a vet say that the bird needs to lose weight..

Edited by Dave007

Hi Glassy, Llamarr is a fine looking grey. I agree with others, I see no plucking going on here, perhaps some molting. So relax. I always give my fids the foods I really want them to eat in the AM. I believe that is when they are probably most hungry so I give them their cooked/fresh vegetables then. It's great that you and your family care so much for Llamarr but take it easy and relax. Let Llamarr lead the timely for moving forward. Watch her body language and don't push her too much. Talk to her and leave her cage door open and let her set the pace. Greys are so intelligent and understand so much more than we realize so relax and enjoy. Llamarr is so lucky to have found you!

I think he looks like a fine looking grey from the pictures you shared of him but that vet visit is important right now and the diet can be worked on gradually for it is going to take time to get him onto a healthy and varied one.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.