NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about Fruits!!

neil

Hey Guys... Glad to inform you that Snowy is now 7 months old.. healthy, completely weaned and eating well.

He's mostly on a diet of different veggies and fruits.. gets his seed mix (prestige) in limited quantities 2 times a week.

Presently he eats (and loves) :

Fruits : Apples, Mangoes (Season almost over), Pear, Guava, Grapes (Season over), Fig, Tamatoes.

Veggies : French beans, cabbage, spinach, carrots, cauliflower, corn (sweet on the cob).

Was wondering if i am giving him the right foods.

Also wanted to ask which other fruits can I feed him safely, we have lychees, peaches, plums, cherries, watermelon available very easily in Mumbai.

Experts please let me know if any of the afroesaid can be given to him!!

Thanks.

Hello, Good food, not to many tomatoes, or spinach. Important veggies include: Leafy dark green's,like kale,collards,carrot tops, dandelion greens, mustard greens, squash, check out the veggie list. you also need your grains, brown rice cooked, mung, chick peas,split peas and lentils cooked, pasta etc. You actually give very little fruit to a Grey.

Thanks

Jayd

* Spinach has oval-shaped, dark-green leaves with a slightly spicy taste. Spinach is the highest source of fiber, calcium and Vitamin A of the leafy greens, with minerals and vitamin C as well. An extremely nutritious food, it also is a good source of iron and potassium. Although it contains oxalates it can be fed in moderation without a problem. Medicinal benefits: Blood builder and beneficial to feather health. Contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which prevent damage to the eyes from sunlight and free radicals.

It binds calcium....Yes this is true..... Dandelion and beet greens are the best.....Chard binds and has to much salt, a little is ok.Jayd

I've seen dandelion greens in Farm Fresh and Harris Teeter in my region. Actually I've seen them in most grocery stores I've ever been to. Often I find them near the herbs or specialty salad greens (radicchio or endive). I've been planning on getting Francis watercress, which I bet is quite nutritious, and I read of a cool way to feed it: float it in the water bowl and let the parrot fish it out to eat!

Xtreme, when I lived in apartments I grew some things in hydroponic pots and it worked well. I bet an avian full spectrum bulb would be just the thing for growing some greens under!

Jayd, I'm interested in one thing. Chard and beet greens are very closely related. Why do you recommend one more than the other? I would have assumed they would be similar nutritionally.

Chard is high in salt, where beet greens isn't, a little chard on occasion, like spinach is ok. Green-leaf, iceberg and watercress, is mostly water, very little nutritional value, dark leafy greens are not only good supplier's, but help with absorption of major nutrients. Radicchio and endive are ok as well as Carrot tops, Turnip greens, kale and mustard greens. Watercress: It is a moderate source of beta-carotene and vitamin C. Because it grows in water, be selective and use only watercress from a safe, reputable source to avoid waterborne illness.

Jayd