NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How do you know?

eubankclare

After deciding to buy a grey, the potential buyer visits the different babies and there may be one that always shows interest in the buyer and constantly wants to be near that person. That's * letting the bird choose you*. It doesn't mean that it's a guarantee that the bird will always favor you though. What if you go to purchase a bird from a clutch and no bird pays extra attention to you so letting a bird *choose you* isn't always a definite thing. Don't put such a thing on the top of your list. Think about picking a very healthy bird. That's important.

Edited by Dave007

Clare, sometimes it happens that way that the grey picks you when it is in a clutch of other babies and sometimes there is only one to choose from but no matter whether the grey picks you or not it will come to accept you as his parront and you can build a relationship that will last a lifetime so don't worry about it.

I started visiting my babies clutch ( just 2 ) when they were only a couple weeks old & then every couple weeks after that until I picked mine. Well, I was actually leaning toward the other baby at first but after about 3 visits it became obvious that Biscotti wanted to be my bird! He would come & hang around me & play with me the whole time I was there so he was the one I picked. The other one was also a beautiful healthy bird, just more independent when I was there visiting. Biscotti is still very much attached to me & I am so glad he chose to be my bird!

Like Judygram said, sometimes you get to choose ( or be chosen :) & sometimes there really is no choice. With love & preparation you will have a wonderful companion either way!

Follow your heart.

We picked Leo from a pet store pile of 2 greys and 1 military mccaw. He's a blessing and has bonded just fine.

We went back 2 months later and snatched up the other grey on a rescue mission (that military mccaw was steamrolling her).

I'm pretty sure that any significance attributed to how a little one responds in the 10 minutes that you spend looking at the clutch is irrelevant. In fact, I'm 100% sure that will never matter.

Just pick a fid. I'd say healthy fid, but ya know what? if he/she is unhealthy then take care of them and get them healthy.

Love is pretty simple. Really.

Dave007 is spot on as always, as our resident decades long breeder par excellent.

I will say, we had the joy of being able to visit 2 clutches of greys that were only days apart on hatchdays.

We spent 2 hours each visit twice weekly from 6 weeks old onwards. At about week 8 one started coming to us more than the others. At week 12 a second had started coming as well each visit and drifting between me and my wife the entire time. There were 8 greys between these 2 clutches. The rest would entertain themselves and watch cautiously as Dayo and the other grey would visit each time from there on out.

One Grey at 12 weeks old, flew for no reason about 6 feet across the floor and attacked my hand inflicting a pretty severe bite. This took myself and the breeder completely by surprise. That one grey also got to where it did not like the husband breeder and would growl when he went near the cage. The wife had to take on all feeding activities from that week forward and it barely let her do so.

My point in writing so much on this, is because I feel strongly that if a grey chooses you. The chances of having a good relationship from day one are 100 percent. When we brought Dayo and Leah (The second Grey) home at 16 weeks, they were both completely comfortable and desired only to be with me or my wife at all times. We did end up taking Leah back the 2nd day due to rapid weight loss and it was very obvious she was not yet weaned.

There was no "Getting acquainted time" required nor any doubt my wife was Dayo's love muffin and it remains that way to this day.

So if you do have the chance to visit a local breeder, do so! :)

Edited by danmcq

You're going to really hate me when I tell you this! If you do go with the breeder you're talking about, I am extremely dubious that the one that you go to visit and "chooses you" is actually the one that comes home with you! He's not a breeder that lets you see them too early - he breeds at his home and when they are old enough to bring to the showroom he brings them there (I do understand why he doesn't let too many people know where he lives). There will be two or three in the show room and you can hold them all and decide which you would like. I really don't think that the one I had "chosen" was Harvey - it's not like they'd painted his toenail to depict my ownership!

I know this all sounds terrible - and I would have loved to have the experience that others have depicted here - but it didn't make a difference anyway - he's mine, all mine!!!!! :)

Clare choose the grey that you are most comfortable with and that is most comfortable with you. You will know, just like when you meet the person for you, you just know. So relax and don't stress over it. Just enjoy finding your new forever companion.