NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ANY safe scented products to make the house smell nice?

carriekinz

Is there ANY scented wax melts (tarts) that are safe to use around birds? I really enjoy having different scents but I'm afraid to harm our bird so I haven't used any since he arrived. I am not a fan of vanilla or flowery scents so those options are a no-go.

Surely someone makes non-toxic scented wax tarts to melt in a burner? Maybe this is a good business idea for our crafty members? :)

JUST FOUND A LOCAL COMPANY THAT SELLS NATURAL CLEANING SUPPLIES--could someone please critique these ingredients for bird safety (I don't know what sodium borate is)? They also have reed diffusers with 100% essential oils...can I please have one??? LOL AND they sell pure essential oils that can be added to water to spritz...would that be alright NOT in the same room as Mr. Bird?

All Purpose: Saponified Organic Oils of Coconut, Olive and Jojoba, Essential Oils, Organic Aloe Vera and Rosemary Extract

Scents Available: Peppermint Zinger, Citrus and Ginger

Glass Cleaner: Distilled White Vinegar, Alcohol (from grain), Sodium Borate (a mineral salt), Essential Oils, Saponified Organic Oils of Coconut, Olive and Jojoba, Essential Oils, Organic Aloe Vera and Rosemary Extract

Bathroom Cleaner: Saponified Organic Oils of Coconut, Olive and Jojoba, Distilled White Vinegar, Sodium Borate (a mineral salt), Essential Oils, Organic Aloe Vera and Rosemary Extract

Edited by carriekinz

Unfortunately, there are no scented candles that can be used around birds. If the package says--non toxic---that only refers to it being non toxic to people. There' s an item that has dried leaves . It's usually made for designs in the house. The most common are wreaths and Xmax decorations. Both are hung on the wall. It's made of dried eucoliptus leaves. It has a nice odor and it's safe for birds. There may be other things but candles, whether they're scented or not can't be used around birds. They can be used in an area where there's a window which constantly pulls the odor out without it drifting in the bird area and that's usually in another room..

All candle wax (other than beeswax candles) have toxic fumes in them. I use reed diffusers - these were actually recommended by my vet. As long as you buy the ones with natural essential oils they are fine for your fid. Just throw everything else away!

You can always use some spices like cinnamon in some water and heat it on the stove or one of those little warmers for good household smells.

That would be a good idea! I don't really care for cinnamon scent either but it's better than the lovely odour of wet dog today! LOL Rain--go away!

I thought soy wax was safe...but I am learning that 'safe' doesn't mean bird safe. I will start my search for reed diffusers using essential oils. I am sad that my house won't be smelling like a tropical location, ha ha, but I am happy the bird will be alright.

I've never had to think about this specifically because of a bird until now, but I've always loved making pomanders for gifts so I'm going to start doing that for my house too. Just take an orange, lemon, tangerine, lime...whatever you like...and stud it all over with whole cloves spaced about 1/4 inch apart. As it dries it will become a solid ball of cloves, and smell lovely. It can be kept as long as the scent remains, and refreshed by leaving it in a paper bag filled with cinnamon, cloves, and spices, with maybe a few drops of clove essential oil. In a week or so, take it out, blow or shake it clean outside, and there you are. You can leave pretty bowls of them around, or tie a ribbon around them and hang them up.

I can't answer for the essential oils being healthy or not-I always open my windows while I clean, no matter what I use, just in case-and I know most other critters, like my cats and dog, are much more sensitive to the essential oils than humans are. Most of the food items they're from are safe for birds as far as I know, but the thing is the EO's are highly concentrated. But the cleaners you listed are pretty simple, natural formulas and you can make them yourself too, wholly unscented: use plain liquid castile soap diluted with water for the cleaners, add baking soda when you need a scrub, and for the glass cleaner just vinegar in water does the trick.