NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is this OK??

eubankclare

Hello, is this cage ok for an African Gray to live in its whole life?

African grey/Amazon cage Haiti

haiti_robbie1.jpg

Length 66cm

Width 55cm

Height 156cm

Bar spacing 22mm

I will add toys and things just wondering if the size is right?

Does anyone have this cage or can anyone recomend a better one from experience?

Thanks

Clare

Edited by eubankclare

I have this cage - but the rule of thumb regarding a cage is "buy the biggest you can afford and house". I'd love a bigger cage - but don't have anywhere to put it! This is absolutely fine for a grey - and if you go to parrot care to purchase your grey - this is the one that comes in the "package". I changed the dowell perches though and there is a big java branch and rope and cement perch - but it's a really good cage (especially for the price) :)

Maybe going to look at parrot care next week to see if a gray is the bird for me :)

Come round to mine - you'll sharp realise you don't want one!! Ha Ha - only joking! Don't feel rushed as parrot care have that "offer" on - it's on all the time! It's a good package though - the only useless thing being the "feather tether" harness !! :)

Buy the BIGGEST you can afford. Once you fill it with perches and toys it will seem small. All my birds have been upgraded to enormous cages after I bought what everyone said was the "recommended" size for a grey or amazon, only to wish I had bought bigger ones...:(

My cage is 42x28, and I work full time. That's a pretty big cage, but I feel it gives Morgan lots of playroom when I'm gone so much. Again, if you have space to get an even bigger cage, I would recommend that you do that.

I agree with Penny, I bought what I thought was a large cage, the "Mediana" by Avian Adventures. It measures out at 34" x 24" x 40" H, I wish now I had gotten something larger, but this was the size that was recommended to me by the experts that I consulted with. I love that it has the playtop, and the cage is well made with excellent access to the bird from the main door, and the bowls from the outside, like I said, I just wish it was a bit bigger.

I do. I love this cage for my birds. The front completely opens for total and easy cleaning. Newspaper fits perfectly in the trays for easy installation and removal. Ana Grey loves the playtop where I can hang several toys. There are also 2 food bowls up there for snacks. The top tray is also removal which I love for the summer time. I would purchase this cage again, in fact I did for my ekkie! https://www.petsolutions.com/EZ-Care-Playtop-Bird-Cage-for-Medium-Birds+I45180320+C60.aspx

Penny! It isn't the spoiled that got my reaction, but the thought of all the cage cleaning you must go through! I set aside several hours every Sunday for the big clean with the apple cider vinegar, your house would take me all day and several showers.

My sister-in-law has the same cage as luvparrots, and also likes it very much. I have a larger cage: http://www.getbirdstuff.com/getbirdstuff/4228-featherland-folding-villa-stainless-steel-bird-cages-mirror-polished-ff80808116f67bef0116f8e6664411ef-p.html that I like a lot. I work full time, and I wanted a cage with plenty of playroom, so Morgan would have plenty to do while I'm at work. Moreover, stainless steel is VERY easy to clean, which is nice if you have a larger cage. That said, I'll be paying for this cage for quite awhile yet--it isn't cheap. I'm just hoping the cage will last forever. The powdercoat cages last 6-10 years, so I have been told. Then paint chips and rust develops, and they have to be replaced. Hopefully, this cage will last for Morgan's lifetime.

My sister-in-law has the same cage as luvparrots, and also likes it very much. I have a larger cage: http://www.getbirdstuff.com/getbirdstuff/4228-featherland-folding-villa-stainless-steel-bird-cages-mirror-polished-ff80808116f67bef0116f8e6664411ef-p.html that I like a lot. I work full time, and I wanted a cage with plenty of playroom, so Morgan would have plenty to do while I'm at work. Moreover, stainless steel is VERY easy to clean, which is nice if you have a larger cage. That said, I'll be paying for this cage for quite awhile yet--it isn't cheap. I'm just hoping the cage will last forever. The powdercoat cages last 6-10 years, so I have been told. Then paint chips and rust develops, and they have to be replaced. Hopefully, this cage will last for Morgan's lifetime.

Thats some cage, real nice!

• 2 weeks later...

I have this one & a larger model & I really like them. I'm using this cage for my Quaker, who is a really busy bird & requires lots of space & things to play with. I really didn't feel like it would be comfortable for my Timneh. He has the model where the living space is 36" L x 22" D x 45" H. They make this style in a few different sizes. I tried to find a website for you, but couldn't find my model.

I personally like this style. I like the bar spacing. I think the all horizontal bars are super for arranging perches, etc., better for climbing & for cleaning at the bottom. Everything wipes off these cages really,really well. Mine are consistent bar spacing, very decent quality, sturdy, but lighter weight than the cages I had before. They're also easy to move around.

I won a couple of Ebay actions, last year. They were brand new & the smaller one cost $115 & the larger $165, delivered. After 8 months, I would have been happy with my cages at twice the price. I think my fids are happy, too.

I'm new here- just been "lurking" for awhile. I just bought a used BIG cage- but now that I have it am afraid to use it. It was for a Cockatoo and I think the spacing is too big for my little grey. I am afraid he will get his head through the bars- and get seriously hurt if he falls. YIKES! What bar gauge and bar spacing should I be looking for?

I think the recommended spacing is 1 inch. However, the bottom line is that your bird should not be able to get his/her head between the bars. Not sure I've been very helpful to you. Maybe some others will respond as well.