NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Exhaust fan

dw310

Does anyone know if one of those window fans that can run in the "exhaust mode" is strong enough to clear a room of dander?

For example: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xn8/R-202099167/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If not, what exhaust fan do you recommend (if any)?

Also, does setting up a room to have a "breeze" in it either through exhaust or by fan put the bird at risk of getting sick? I have heard that they shouldn't be in a draft. Is that correct?

Thanks!!

I don't know if that fan would help of not. I can't imagine that it would be strong enough to get all their dander, but I don't know if anything would be. Personally, I use a fairly large air purifier with two different filters, one catches the larger dander, the other catches the really fine stuf, but it still doesn't get everything. I'd still have to dust twice a day to keep my table with the "wet" sheen, so I don't even bother. I figure I am getting more enjoyment playing/watching my parrot than I do from a well oiled "wet" looking piece of furniture.

Dan recently posted that he thinks a humidifier helps draw the dander to a landing place as opposed to continuously floating about for us to breath in, I tend to agree, and I also keep a humidifier running. Between the two machines at either ends of the room, I do notice an improvement.

If you do try the exhaust fan, and if it does work, then let us know!

As far as the draft goes, I'd ask our more experienced owners to either agree or disagree, but my understanding is that cool or cold drafts are more the concern. My understanding is that the Congo can get quite cool, and our birds can deal with that, but they don't get the cold temparatures and wind that say, I get in Canada. So, that being said, with summer approaching and the weather nice, I'm leaving all the doors and windows open (with screens) and it can get breezy in here, but nothing more than I'd expect in the jungle, and the breeze is fairly warm...

OK. I may get one this weekend, an see how it does.

I have been running a humidifier since I adopted Morgan, and started up the purifier this past weekend. It just seems that a couple of minutes/day of an exhaust in the area would take a load off of the purifier. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll post how it goes.

That fan is marginal to exhaust the room, but would help remove some of the larger "floaters." I've found a simple box fan (like the 20" fans sold at Home Depot) with a 20x20 furnace filter in front of it does a better job. It can be placed close by the cage or play stand, and pulls down and dander into the furnace filter. I've augmented mine with a charcoal filter for any lingering odors.

I had a detailed post about it, but can't seem to find it now.....so, I'll go take some pictures if interested

The draft isn't an issue. Although I don't have the fans pointed to the cages, there is a good amount of air circulating in my bird room. They seem to enjoy it, especially when their toys move around on their own. :)

Actually, I feel just the opposite. In the pro contractor department of Home Depot ( my wife is a manager there) , that item is used to pull out all types of dust because of interior work that needs to be done in homes. It's an exremely popular item and does excellent work, and is very poewerful. much more so than any type of purifier. In a bird room, the air can't be purified. It can only be pulled out inclluding large and small particles and everything inbetween. There's large particles and small particles of dust all over the place. In the past, I've told countless people to pick up one of these items because of heavy duty paint odor and also dust. The item can cover a very large room or even 2 rooms . The mechanics are this---each fan can work at the same time or one can be shut off while the othe is working or both can work at the same time. It's put into a window and on;ly whatever is in the room can be pulled out. I have the exact same type of exhaust fan in my large bird room and it's extremely powerful.

The mechanics of this item are very reliable and long lasting and extremely strong and no matter what store you buy them in, they will last a very long time. The one below is a different brand but exactly the same as in your link. No air can be pulled into the house unless the machine is reversed and put back into the window. Luckily, the price has finally decreased. This machine is extremely quiet. Drafts aren't needed. I also have one in my breeding room.

This one is 15 yrs old.

"""risk of getting sick? """

Just the opposite. Good breathing is greatly increased.

DSCN0181.jpg

Edited by Dave007

This machine has nothing to do with air conditioning. It works like any other appliance. The dust goes out the window. The window is the place that it's put in. Window is lifted about 12 to 15 inches--machine sits in any window and sucks out everything. Very simple and doesn't cost any more than any other fan. The only difference is that it takes the air and sucks it out. No big deal. The item is only 4 inches thick. Cleaning? just like you would any other fan. take off the front screen and wipe the blades off. Put screen back on.

PS---now that I've completely read that link, I can see that it has many new features that mine doesn't have so lucky you if you buy it.

Edited by Dave007

OK. So I found the Bionaire fan (in the home depot link above) at BJs for $15 less and got it. (I'm not sure if BJs is nationwide in the US. It's like Sams or Costco-a big discount warehouse.) If I hold a feather in front of the fan, it will pull the feather through. However, feathers in the cage don't flutter with the fan on. Not that I would expect them to. I think I will keep it, as it has to be helping with the micro-dander. Hopefully it will help my purifier filters last a little longer. This entire fan cost only $15 more than one replacement HEPA filter. That's a deal.

OK, so this particular fan can be installed without removing the window screen. The fan has been on about 12 hours/day for 2 days and you should see the window screen! It is full of dander and small feathers. This fan definitely works. I think it's going to help the purifier filter last longer. Just thought I would let you know!!

• 5 months later...
That fan is marginal to exhaust the room, but would help remove some of the larger "floaters." I've found a simple box fan (like the 20" fans sold at Home Depot) with a 20x20 furnace filter in front of it does a better job. It can be placed close by the cage or play stand, and pulls down and dander into the furnace filter. I've augmented mine with a charcoal filter for any lingering odors.

I had a detailed post about it, but can't seem to find it now.....so, I'll go take some pictures if interested

The draft isn't an issue. Although I don't have the fans pointed to the cages, there is a good amount of air circulating in my bird room. They seem to enjoy it, especially when their toys move around on their own. :)

Does it matter how big or small the box fan and the furnace filter is or can you just purchase anything and it will do? Would it work better if it was a specific size?

Edited by ecenur

Does it matter how big or small the box fan and the furnace filter is or can you just purchase anything and it will do? Would it work better if it was a specific size?

The filter and fan should be about the same size. As mentioned, a 20" box fan works perfectly with a 20"x20" furnace filter. I have one in the bird room that houses five greys, and find it very effective at dust and odor removal (when also using the charcoal filter along with the normal furnace filter).