NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feathers

justalady721

I have a question since I am a newer parrot owner I still have questions every now and then.

My question is this. Houdini lost one of his big feathers it is one that had been trimmed and I am just wondering is it normal to lose them once in awhile or not. I know I have seen a couple of red feathers from his tail here and there but it is not every day its been spread apart . so is it ok to see this from time to time or is it something I need to worry about and take him to the vet???

Hi there, I'm sorry, I'm not really familiar with your parrot, how old is the bird? Depending on it's age, you could have a bird in a molt. My bird is a year in a couple of weeks, I noticed that larger feathers from the back (wings) area started to come out in December, then a red tail feather a few months after that, then finally a clipped primary flight feather came out, quickly followed by two more. They have already grown back in, and both my parrot and I are watching these new feathers closely for damage as they quite unprotected the way they are.

If when you scratch your parrots head you feel pin feathers coming in, you can't miss them, then you know your baby is in a molt.

If you have any concerns that it might be anything other than a molt, go see your vet. I've only had my parrot since last September, but I've been to two different vets a total of three times. The sound mind is well worth it.

Houdini turned one on April 17th. he is very good, very friendly,whistles alot , plays and sqwauks at his toys, I think he has lost maybe 3 red feathers one big and two smaller looking feathers. I have see a couple of small grey feathers and then the one large one that actually had the big quill. I was kinda shocked and didnt know what to think about that. but other than that he is fine eating good , his poo looks normal, he is very active.

"""""I am just wondering is it normal to lose them once in awhile or not. I know I have seen a couple of red feathers from his tail here and there but it is not every day its been spread apart . """""

Yes, it's very normal to see that all year long. The flight and tail feathers don't all fall out at the same time. Your bird isn't molting. The flight and tail feathers fall out when the blood supply ceases in that particular feather/feathers. There's no way to tell when it's gonna happen other than to say it will happen. It also doesn't matter if the flight feathers are clipped or not but sometimes, clipped feathers die at a quicker rate than unclipped feathers.

Hi, most Grey's starts their molt around 1 year old, nothing to worry about, he'll lose his red tail feathers and get brand new bright red ones, yes he'll lose feathers over time. Bath him, and I give mine extra protein, like chicken or turkey breast boiled, egg and shells, tuna or cooked salmon, no red meat... Dave007 just made a Grey't thread on bathing....http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189753-Bathing-possible-method-1

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189752-Bathing-possible-method-2

Jayd

• Haha 1

They lose their flight and tail feathers on a staggering basis and not at a regular molt so they are still capable of flight, they will lose a few and then they grow back and then they lose a few more and this goes on continually so don't worry when you see a couple of big feathers or some of those pretty red tail ones, they will return.