NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Two greys

hill

The resson for my last post was because a female grey 3 years old cag has come up for sale near to where i live, Been to have a look and its really misstreted very very small cage looks as its not been cleaned for weeks really feel sorry for her, And due to getting a new bigger cage was thinking of getting buster a friend really stuck on what to do as do not want to leave the grey where it is :(

If you get her to save her then take her to the Vet immediately in case she has any health related isssues from living dirty. Then quarantine her in a separate room and wash hands every time you touch her cage, her or her food & water. This will avoid any cross contamination until you are certain of her good health most people recommend any where from a thirty day to a ninety day quarantine. Better safe than sorry. I would take her if it were me because I am such a mush for any bird trapped in such conditions. Either way do let us know what you decide to do.>:>

If you have the means, save that grey!

I would imagine if you let her have your old cage which I am sure is an upgrade compared to what she is now in.

Greywings advice on a check up is spot on as well as her other comments.

So if i did go ahead with the sale the best thing to do would keep them in separate cages for a while then introduce them to the same cage all i do not want to happen is it to upset buster or them to fight .

Even after the vet check and the quarantine period is over you would almost certainly not be able to put them in the same cage together. She is going to come with a lot of emotional baggage and you'll have to get to know her very well before you even risk letting them have play time outside the cage together. Greys don't automatically get along with each other. Males and females don't either. If you do this rescue, and I hope you or somebody does soon, it will require time and dedication from you. Don't skip the quarantine precautions. Don't don't don't. We've have members here in the past who have rushed things and ended up with expensive vet bills for the new bird, and their existing bird(s).

That being said, two greys can be wonderful company for each other without being in the same cage. They talk to each other and pick up vocabulary quickly from one to the other. Seeing you interacting with Brutus and seeing the relationship you have with him can help speed up the trust between you and the rescue. As long as you always treat Brutus as #1 bird, waking, feeding, and giving treats to him first, you should be able to minimize any problems with jealousy between the two. Having a rescue myself, I can tell you the rewards when a previously neglected and abused bird comes to trust and love you, and flourish under your care, are huge and worth all the extra work. Please let us know what you decide.

Read our threads on Joey and our other rescues, What we do is [after quarantine] is to introduce the new baby to the flock leader [buster] from then on , Buster comes first in everything, feeding, toys, if you buy a toy for the new baby, buy one for buster and Buster gets it first...Buster gets greeted first,etc. When you move them into the same room, there's no reason to not let them out of their cages, 9 out of ten times, they'll ignore each other! just keep a open eye. Plan on spending a lot of time observing both of them, your going to have to know each of their differentence, and treat them accordingly. To save a rescue or re-home is love......Jayd