NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrots and respiratory problems

Joolesgreyuk

I wondered if those more knowledgeable members could shed some light on this subject, how common are respiritory problems in parrot households and is there more than one condition in humans due to parrot dust or dander?

Beau seems to be shedding a huge amount of dander and feathers right now due in part to a heavy molt but also probably because I've been reluctant to spray him due to unseasonably cool weather and with the heating being off. I have found that wiping surfaces down with a damp cloth is better than dusting and I have a hand-held vacuum in my hand almost permanently when I'm home but the place still seems dusty.

I do have a reason for asking, I seem to have developed a slight tightening of the chest/wheeze in the last week or two - nothing serious but having not experienced this before it made me wonder if it could be due to the birds. I don't think it is Argyle, he bathes frequently, is small and doesn't seem dusty at all. Can anyone shed any light on this?

This is for reading only, ..........................Don't make any judgements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psittacosis

Allergic Alveolitis

Definition: This is not an ailment that your pet bird gets, this is an ailment that you may get. The name says it all. Allergic (caused by the Allergic reaction of the body to a specific substance or condition) Alveolitis (an inflammation in the inner part of the lungs). This ailment is also known as 'Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis', 'Parakeet Dander Pneumoconiosis' and 'Pigeon Lung Disease'. This occurs most frequently with people that are sensitive to feathers, feather dust, and/or fecal matter. Some people may be genetically predisposed to this ailment. Repeated and prolonged exposure is usually necessary to cause this ailment.

Prevention: Preventative measures include cleaning cages daily, bathing birds frequently, providing good ventilation, and using an air purification system.

Symptoms/Signs/Tests: The early symptoms due to low levels of exposure (sub-acute or recurrent) may include coughing, shortness of breath, sweating, sore throat, headache, and nausea. At this level of exposure, removing the source of exposure often eliminates the symptoms. After chronic long-term exposure symptoms worsen and include increased dyspnea (labored breathing) and permanent damage to the lungs. After chronic long-term exposure, an irreversible form may develop with weight loss and similar symptoms to the sub-acute symptoms. At this point, the damage to the lungs may be irreversible and could cause death. The doctor may prescribe x-rays, blood tests or lung function tests but these cannot verify this specific ailment. Usually the patient's history is used along with these tests to make a diagnosis.

Cure/Treatment: Removing the source of the allergen will make the ailment go away after low level (sub-acute) exposure. However, after chronic long-term exposure, the ailment becomes irreversible. The doctor may prescribe medications to make breathing easier for those with chronic long-term exposure.

Edited by Jayd

I don't really have an answer to your question but I can say ever since Rene has come home and I moved him down into my living room, I am forever dusting, I have bad seasonal allergies which luckily haven't started yet, but I am using my inhaler more often especially after I vacuum. Rene is molting and refusing to be sprayed or bathed so when he shakes a giant plume of dust comes off, oh and my dogs after laying on the couch for a nap all wake up and have a sneeze too, I have lived with asthma all my life so now I just have to refill a prescription more often!

Respiratory problems in bird owners (all birds) are extremely common. There is a disease called allergic alveolitis (also known as budgerigar dander pneumonicosis, bird breeder's disease, hypersensitivity pneumonitis and pigeon breeder's lung) which affects the lungs and occurs in people who are hypersensitive to feathers, feather dust, and faecal material.

You've hit the nail on the head though about the control of dander - the spraying of them to minimise the dander, feather outfall etc - and "damp dusting" as you are doing is exactly the way to get rid of it, not shake it around the room - only damp dusting "collects" the dander.

There are several cases of extreme reaction, culminising in lung transplants - but this is the most severe end of the scale. My mam has COPD and when she looks after Harvey the wheezing and tightness gets worse.

If it continues - go and see your GP - it might take an inhaler or something to overcome these problems, but your housework as it is will help greatly too. If the worst comes to the worst - I know some fabulous transplant surgeons ;)

If it continues - go and see your GP - it might take an inhaler or something to overcome these problems, but your housework as it is will help greatly too. If the worst comes to the worst - I know some fabulous transplant surgeons ;)

LoL Jilly too funny

Thanks everyone for your help. I do have a humidifier but as yet haven't felt the need to use it? Would it help? As for the other suggestions, I think I'm pretty much doing them all. I do suffer from hay fever and am allergic to household dust - fresh dust I seem to be ok with but if I dust something that hasn't been touched for a while - such as books or behind furniture then I get hay fever symptoms (not chest problems though) even in winter months. Jay, your post is quite scary!

A humdifier in the bird area will keep the dander more moist, which means heavier and it will be more likely to fall to the floor more often than continuing to float around. Also, misting your cage florr before pulling out to clean will keep the dander and feathers from floating away as you take it out to clean.

As others said, keeping you birds bathed and misted with aloe helps reduce it as well.

One note on new world parrots like macaws and zons. The dander put off by our greys can and does affect their respiratory systems at some level. Some more than others.

Jayd - Feather up your Nose....Hahahahahahahahaha.......Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, thanks for the morning laugh! :)

A humidifier will help the birds comfort and may reduce the dust a little but you must keep it scrupulously clean to avoid giving your bird a bacterial or fungal infection of his air sacs or lungs. A good quality air purifier will do more good for you, make certain it is a non ionizing model. If you think the dust is bad with a Grey try living with a Cockatoo or two.

At the moment we have two Too's and three Greys-you just imagine what the black cabinets look like every day.

Danmcq wrote: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?121453-HUMIDITY-IMPORTANT-TO-YOUR-GREY-S-HEALTH/page3 Check this out......................And Dave007 wrote:.No, you can use both as long as the machines aren't next to each other. That would defeat the purpose. Humidity will make dust heavier. A purifier won't pull in a lot of dust even though you feel a difference Purifiers are meant to suck in the type of dust that's floating around a room and stays floating around until it nears the purifier. That type of dust is invisible and it's in most rooms. In a bird area, there's constant dust and dust that's in a bird room is actually dander which is heavy. It's not the type of dust that stays in the air. It's heavy, falls on furniture, on the cage, all over the floor and everything that's near the general area of the bird/birds. You'd be better off having an exhaust fan that will really pull all sorts of dust in, heavy or light. When purchasing a purifier, there's different sizes specifing the amount of space that it'll cover so a purifier works best in that amount of space which usually involves a room that's enclosed. And those purifiers never state anything about their success with bird dander. Bird dander is much heavier than .003 microns.

Edited by Dave007