NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

where to live?

eubankclare

Hope this is the right section,

Where do all your birds live (in the house i mean), do they have a room to themselves or are they in peoples front rooms?

Is it better to have them in a busy or quiet place? near a window or not etc?

Sorry for all the questions, im new LOL :)

My fids, grey and ekkie have their main cages in a bird room. Your grey should be in a spot that is where the "action is". Greys like to be part of the flock and you and your family are now their flock. Both of my birds are out of their cages most of the day as I am retired. My ekkie is a rescue and so prefers cages. He has a smaller cage in the living room and one in my office. He will get out of his cage in the morning and go to whichever smaller cage he wants during the day. He has been clipped for over 7 1/2 years before I got him and he is still growing new flight feathers. I have had him for a year. My grey, Ana Grey, was clipped when I got her at four months old and had has been flying for the last few months, all over the house. She will be two in August. The main cages are where my fids sleep at night and go when I am not home although they have access to them whenever they want. For Ana Grey there are boings, perches and a cargo net throughout the home for her to sit on. These are also there for my ekkie, Sully, but he does not like them. Sitting on the top of my computer screen is one of Ana Grey's favorite places to be.

Thanks for that, the family seem to be between the front room and kitchen, my kitchen is going to be very long when we have the extension so i think i may put the main cage (sleeping cage) in there and a stand and cage in the front room so that he/she can be where ever we are, but have some peace at night. Do your grays go to bed when you do or do they have a set bed time? :)

Thanks

Clare

My three birds (the CAG, Indian Ringneck, and Conure) ann have their own cages in the main central room of the house. It is the busiest area. Their cage doors are open all day when I'm home. At night they all are in their cages and covered.

My grey goes to bed around 9:30 and her cage is in the family room where we stay up longer watching tv or reading, we turn the volume down and the lights lower and cover the cage but some people use a sleep cage that is somewhere else in the home.

My greys go to bed at 7:00 pm. Sully insists because he is an old and cantankerous sort. Ana Grey goes because Sully does and has just gotten use to that time. They do need 10-12 hours of sleep a night. It also gives me my quiet time. I see that they have fresh water, pellets and snacking foods at that time.

The kitchen really isn't where you should keep your grey. Not around the hot stove. I have a boing in the kitchen area by my kitchen table where Ana Grey can sit and see but not be too close. My grey is into everything so I don't let her into the cooking area. But then I have a small kitchen.

Personally, I wouldn't keep my Grey in the kitchen, or within sight of a food preparation area. There are too many dangers the bird could inadvertantly fly into, when you least expect it. Hot stove, knives, sharp objects, cooking fumes, cleaning products, etc.

I have my 2 parrakeets in the corner near a window next to our Dining area. My 2 african greys and amazon are in the den by the windows. We cover them when they go to bed between 8:30 and pm., and are able to close the french doors connecting the den and living room. My birds are out of their cage most of the day and I have trees/ playstands, hanging gyms all over my house. They fly to wherever we are and hang out. One of my greys has a sleep only cage in my bedroom (spoiled) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a Bungalow & have Murphy's cage in the hallway which is the hub of the house. I spend most of my time in our study & his cage is opposite the door. I also have stand in the living room, when we go in there to have dinner or watch TV he flies in after us. I spent ages trying to decide the best place for his cage, considered the living room but as I don't spend much time in there he would be on his own too much & my study is way too small for a cage. I wouldn't consider the kitchen myself for all the dangers to them like non stick pans, hot stoves etc.

It all depends on your living arrangements, the layout of your home & where you spend most of your time etc. Everybody & everybody's house is different so what suits you & your bird best really.