NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newly adopted Grey keeps jumping off hand or shoulder!

If she has'nt flown before she maybe thinking she can fly as she has more freedom, especially if she likes coming out of the cage on her own. Just let her get more accustomed to new home and I think she will be wanting attention when she's ready.

Your baby's unpacking her bags, it takes a while, one of our rescue Grey's is just starting to come out now. The worst thing you could is stop the attention, let her have her space in her cage, but welcome her to her new home. A parrot won't attempt to fly unless she feels lift, and a parrot who's never flown before will hold her wings to her side if she starts to fall, we have some of each. Sit back and enjoy your baby, she's trying to talk to you, listen to her....Jayd

We had a great interaction time tonight. Very cautious, but successful. We cleaned the cage, which got her into a good mood because she loves when the grate is off so she can get down and dig/tear at the paper. then we opened the door and spread out a blanket, and she agreed to come out on my husband's hand. He just held her, letting her transfer from hand to hand and from his hand to mine, over his lap, without giving her an opening to climb onto a shoulder. She did her ultra-excited squeaky dance and made her wings all droopy, which seems to be part of the dance. Don't really know what that means except "I like to be near you". After awhile we lifted her back into her cage and I made her dinner. No trauma! And now she's crawling up and down, whistling and talking, and very happy.

Her squeaky dance with drooped wings is a sign of affection, means she is in love and its a sexual thing that you should not encourage her to do for it will make her frustrated, distract her to something else when she does that and do not rub her down her back, under the wings or anywhere near her tail or underside, her hormones are a stirring.

Her squeaky dance with drooped wings is a sign of affection, means she is in love and its a sexual thing that you should not encourage her to do for it will make her frustrated, distract her to something else when she does that and do not rub her down her back, under the wings or anywhere near her tail or underside, her hormones are a stirring.
No one could have worded it better!!!!!!! Thanks Judy........Jayd

Well, we certainly haven't done anything to encourage it except just talk to her. She really does that with my husband, used to with me as well but she's mostly just quiet or talkative with me these days. Distraction would be good, I think that's what I ended up doing: just giving her something to look at when she was out with me. We have some toys on the way that are more interactive, puzzles and stuff, so when those come she'll have other things to do. Right now we just hold her and talk to her when she's out of the cage. I'll poke around the house for some gadgets we can show her when we take her out tonight, but I'm noticing that things not specifically designed to be parrot-proof are just plain not a good idea to give her! You should see what she did to my MINI Cooper key.

• 6 months later...

Ganesha has just started to get her flights back after two years of plucking all her wings and back feathers off or shredding them completely. Since we have started making her forage for all her food she has begun to feather in nicely but now she keeps trying to fly off the stand. She took a few tumbles recently and bruised her keel to point of drawing blood. I have stopped the bleeding right away with corn starch but she just shakes it off and is singing and happy and getting more confident with each day. I just covered the floor under her stand and living room day cage with the rubber kids gym mats and put many pillows and blankets everywhere around the cage in case she throws herself to the floor. She is so happy I don't want to take that sense of self confidence away by restricting her movements. She is going on three in Feb and just gets a bit freaky from time to time and have broken blood feathers as well. I am just so pleased that she is feeling this good after two years of neurotically plucking and shredding. She was also diagnosed with Inflammatory Skin Disease from a possible allergy and we will start to address that this next week when I talk to my vet again. I know I will have to make some changes in the house when she gets fully flighted, but after what she has been through in the past two years, it will be worth it to get her flying around like a real bird...