NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Starting to bite

nevjoe

Hi NevJoe,

Celery has given good advise and insight.

I noticed during the time visiting the Grey clutches from 4 weeks old, that they became more independent with each weekly visit. Which I would assume is normal and desired.

At around 12 weeks old, some as you would approach with your hand, would raise up with neck fully extended and then swiftly strike at the hand. Thus letting you know they wanted to keep doing whatever it was they were doing.

I would normally ignore it and just keep pushing forward with my hand until it was fully pressed against their beak, then they would calm down.

By week 15, they were no longer so easily convinced of accepting my interruption of what they were doing. If I did not watch their eyes and body language and continued with forward movement of the hand, they would strike, letting me know to leave them alone.

Which I did, by leaving my hand exactly where it was, then ever so slowly backing it off so as not to let them think it was a knee jerk reaction to their strike.

How is Hemingway with you?

You mention your live in Daughter. How is he with her?

Guests that come and go randomly are no longer dealing with a pliable baby, but a maturing Grey with thoughts of it's own. They may also not be considered members of your Flock.

Hope this gives you some thoughts and insight to this maturing of Hemingway.

I think Celery has given you the best advise in a nutshell. He talks from experience and it sounds like he handled it well, I on the other hand have not had a biting issue with Josey, knock on wood, but if one develops, his ideas will be put to good use.

Sounds like a spoiled rotten brat, he DOES rule the roost, so to speak, maybe he has it his way too much. He needs to spend some time amusing himself and not have you and your daughter occupying all his time. He needs to learn to be a little more independent and not have you entertain him all day. I know it is hard, you want to play and be with him all the time but it is not good for him.

But it is good you can take him with you to places, he is more socialized that way, but he does need to spend a little more time by himself to amuse himself during the day.

Hi Joe,

Looks like good advice here. It sounds to me like the bird is beginning to pick a "favorite" person (eg you), since you do in fact spend the most time with him/her (is your bird sexed?) that looks to be you at this point. They will jockey for attention and can exhibit soe aggression if they feel competition. I would make it a point to proactively try and have your bird continue to interact with all the family that he is currently "biting". You should pass him to family member and show that its OK. If he bites tell him no, just once and if he bites again set him down (on his cage or somewhere) for just a short while (few mins) and try again. You need to show that being handled by others is not only OK, its expected and it he must conduct himself properly. You should NOT "punish" biting behavior per se, but you do things that discourage the undesirable behavior and encourage/reward the good behavior. If he wants to be with you and you do some of these things he will learn to behave accordingly or else he will not particpate. Do be careful and educate others that want to esablish a relationship with the bird. If/when the undesirable behavior is exhibited (in this case biting) everyone needs to know how to react so that the bird does not percieve the reaction as a reward. Many peoples natural response to a bite is to yell, scream, act all excited etc (and it CAN HURT!), but this response is often seen as attention to the bird and may encourage it. Again, if he bites set him down and/or change the focus to something else then try again. Hope this helps. With some patience and conditioning you can almost certainly address this behavior, but some biting from time to time usually goes hand in hand with owning a parrot...B)<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/08/10 17:31

I completely agree that the birds are individuals and we need to respect their likes/dislikes etc. The intent of my statements was to look for ways provide an environment that endorses socialization through positive interactions and provide some suggestions on how to deal with "bad behaviors" like biting. I do feel that while respecting the birds expression of its like/dislikes etc, sometimes we need to take them out of their comfort zone and set some expectations. Working on reduction in biting is an area I feel cannot be ignored. However, there is no perfect solution and if the approach goes overboard in one direction (like forcing the bird to be held when it does not want to) that can have the opposite effect of what you are trying to attain! B) So there is a balance to be struck for sure, but I would not accept biting as OK. We must study when the bites happen and try to understand why etc to help identify the best course of action. I think we are basically saying the same things! ;)