NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Oven...

lovethatgrey

Lucky you! I had a new oven just about a year ago and it's a self-cleaning one. My advice would be to get the parrots outside, turn the oven up VERY hot for about an hour and then open the windows for say 10 - 20 mins before bringing the birds back in. I never use the self-cleaning setting with the birds in the house. So far - no problems.

I've never seen the self cleaning setting on my oven? I always thought that the walls of the oven have a special coating on which self cleaned or some sort of porous material. I know that you are not supposed to use oven cleaners on self cleaning oven as that does give of toxic fumes.

I'm no expert on ovens so somebody may need to educate me :confused:

Depends on how old your oven is reggieroo, the older self-cleaning ones should be ok so long as it isn't turned up full (or near) the modern ones also have self cleaning panels but they are activated by turning the heat up full or near full, the extreme temperatures activate the self-cleaning chemicals which are deadly to birds.

On self-Clean, it takes less 30 minute's to kill your bird!!!! They die in your arms, a older self-cleaning oven, takes a few more uses to do the trick....DON'T USE ON HIGH OR SELF CLEAN, get out the old soap and water....My opinion only.... Jayd

My ovens are over 25 years old, they are built in and are not self cleaning so I have to use some elbow grease to remove spills but putting some baking soda on it will help with cleanup. I have replaced the elements but not the ovens themselves, I don't think I would go for self cleaning ones anyways if and when I have to replace mine.

My ovens are over 25 years old, they are built in and are not self cleaning so I have to use some elbow grease to remove spills but putting some baking soda on it will help with cleanup. I have replaced the elements but not the ovens themselves, I don't think I would go for self cleaning ones anyways if and when I have to replace mine.

When we got our new oven? We just had our old ones rebuilt instead, we have 2 spares in the garage..

Note: It's the "PTFE and Telfon" That kill's...

I would take the birds out. Where did I read somewhere about new ovens and the chemicals they have that need to be burned off????? To be on the safe side I would not have the birds in the house and air it out completely before bringing them in. I have used my self-cleaning in my oven once. I took my birds out into the backyard in their travel cages. Iturned on all the exhaust fans in the house while the cleaner was working. It took three hours!!!!! I opened all the windows to let it really air out before I brought Ana Grey back in. Congrats on the new oven!

I would take the birds out. Where did I read somewhere about new ovens and the chemicals they have that need to be burned off????? To be on the safe side I would not have the birds in the house and air it out completely before bringing them in. I have used my self-cleaning in my oven once. I took my birds out into the backyard in their travel cages. Iturned on all the exhaust fans in the house while the cleaner was working. It took three hours!!!!! I opened all the windows to let it really air out before I brought Ana Grey back in. Congrats on the new oven!
That's grey't, you can put a fan in a doorway or window blowing out, to help. The coating is the same [or similar] to "No-stick" pans, I don't mean this bad, but same as pans, I don't believe it wares off, I've been called to homes where a person is holding their Grey or Macaw or Parakeet, and I'll take one, and you rush outside hoping it will help, most of the time it doesn't, and if it doe's, their air-sacks are so damaged they suffer. 0ne time I watched a lady's 6 fid's die at once. Better safe than sorry, scrub, scrub, scrub... My opinion. Jayd and Maggie

Thanks guys. I read the manual last night and there is actually a cautionary blurb about Birds and their sensitivity to fumes from the self cleaning feature. I thought that was pretty cool. The brand is Kenmore.

I intend on turning the oven on high but not self cleaning high for about an hour and I will be taking Emma and Sachi outdoors while this is being done. All of the windows will be open and I will wait a few hours later before bringing them back inside. I do not intend on using the self clean feature unless my parrots are staying over at some other place for the night.

Edited by lovethatgrey

I called the store where I had purchased the oven.

They told me that the self cleaning temperature is at 800 Degrees F.

I will never be using the oven at a temperature higher than broil.

My buddy purchased a new stove last year. According her, the first time she turned it on, it will smell similar to burnt rubber. I'll keep you guys posted. I think this topic should be a sticky. jmho.

Edited by lovethatgrey

Make certain that oven does not have any Teflon type material in it. Yes I would also suggest turning it on with windows open and vent fans on for an hour or more before your fist use to burn off any residual chemicals from manufacturing and cleaning prior to selling and installing.

Lucky you! I had a new oven just about a year ago and it's a self-cleaning one. My advice would be to get the parrots outside, turn the oven up VERY hot for about an hour and then open the windows for say 10 - 20 mins before bringing the birds back in. I never use the self-cleaning setting with the birds in the house. So far - no problems.

I agree totally, I did the very same thing. :)