NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about my grey

Ozzysmom

Ok he loves being out of his cage and can get out fine. I have been letting him be out all day from 6 am until about 9ish at night. He can not or will not go back in so I have to put him in. I dont want to break any trust nor do I want to stress him. I was thinking do you think having to physically put him in his cage will cause any damage to me gaining his trust? Sometimes i have to put a long sleeve coat on to not get bit he doesn't like this at all. If he is on the ground I can pick him up no problem just when he is on his cage do I need to do this. Should I be leaving him in his cage until he leans step up? He doesnt know what this means because I dont think he was handled much if at all his whole life.

any input is great.

My grey has never gone into the cage by herself. I have to "manually" put her in all the time. She is out most of the time when we are in. When she gets naughty, she has to be in whether she likes it or not. So far this has never damaged our relationship. IMO she must have certain time in the cage otherwise she will turn into a spoiled brat.

Harvey wouldn't dream of going in his cage on his own in a million years! He "flirts" with the playstand on the top - but would never decide to climb into it - he's far too intelligent for that!!! What is advised though is that you actually take the bird out of the cage - you are allowing him to come out, not just of his own accord. Shows that you have the authority over cage time etc - buy I know this is difficult with a rescue bird. My husband uses his arm with a long sleeve top for Harvey to step up on - otherwise he would get bitten too. Harvey accepts this from him.

So, all in all, I wouldn't worry about taking him back to the cage - it's just something we have to do :)

The others have given good responses. Most will not want to go back in of their own choice.

Either an stick, towel or a thick over garment will normally work until they get used to the routine and expect.

The easiest way, it seems from your description. Is to get a step-up when he is NOT on the cage. Use that moment to take him and place him in the cage, if you can. Even if that moment occurs for example at 7pm, rather than 9. Use it. :)

I have had my TAG, Ana Grey, since she was 4 months old. She is usually out from the am to 7pm if I am home. She has boings and perches all over the house and she has total freedom throughout because I live alone. She can go anywhere except the two bathrooms unless I take her in one of them. I just leave the lights off in them and she has not gone in on her own. She does not like going back into her cage when I want all the time either. If she is in the birdroom and it is bed time, I just turn off the light and say "nite, nite" and she goes back in her cage on her own. If it is during the day and I just need to get going or just want her in her cage, I just scoop her up and put her on her cage. I tell her why and that I'll be back. She still loves me and comes to me when I call. She still knows I love her and she loves me. She trusts me because I am still gentle and unhurting when I scoop her up. I talk to her calmly and tell her what I am doing and that I will be back. at other times if Ana Grey tries to sit on my shoulder I just shoo her off with a gentle hand. She has lots of places to perch near me just not on me and I direct her there with an offer of a treat even if it is just a piece of bread. But when she ask for an apple, "want some apple" I immediately give her some (or some other fruit if she has had apple already) and name it. If I call her, "Ana Grey come here" and hold out my arm and slap it or touch my chest she comes and I always give her a head scratch. Oh I scold her but with my voice not my hands. Our greys are extremely intelligent and lot of the things we say they understand even if they don't mimic the words. They read our body language just like we can read theirs if we want.

I must have the exception to the rule for I have no problem with Josey going back into her cage at bedtime, in fact she goes in on her own accord, of course she doesn't fly at the moment so I have that on my side since she can't take flight to get away but she never fights going back. She is usually on top of her cage or the playtop on the side and she goes in willingly. I expect to maybe have some problems when she regains flight but that is something I will deal with when it happens.

If Brutus is on his playstand and I need him to go into his cage for some reason, like if I have to leave for a while, he will usually step up on my shoulder, and I can walk over and he will step down into his cage. If he is on the playtop on top of the cage, I usually will coax him down into the cage with a treat. At bedtime, he is no problem going in. Every time I put him in, I say to him "Go to your house."