NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Cognition and language abilities

danmcq

• 1 month later...

Gracie is still progressing steadily. She probably says close to 200 words now, but I recently stopped counting. It is interesting that she is recombining words in novel ways to narrate her life. Every day when Gracie finishes eating, she dumps her food bowl on the floor and says, "Gracie dumped food bowl. Gracie is a stinker." Well last week Gracie was hanging on one of her toys and chewing on it. Evidently she chewed off a string that was attached to the hook and the whole toy fell to the floor. Gracie looked at the toy and said "Gracie dumped toy." Another example is that my parents' Toy Fox Terrier had skin surgery. I showed Gracie Brakleah's stiches and said, "Barkleah has an ouchie". Well as I mentioned a few weeks ago, Gracie has been nippy with me lately as she enters her "Terrible Two's". Over the last few days Gracie has said several times, "Gracie no bite Daddy. Ouchie. I'm sorry." I have never said "Ouchie" when she bites. The one and only time I said it was with Barkleah's surgery, yet she made the connection.

Gracie is certainly putting to task those cognitive abilities. It is so intriguing when they come out with those "one time heard words" sometime in the future and in context. It's makes one pause for a moment to consider the true complexity of what goes on in that grey's mind. Thanks for sharing this! :)

Life with a grey is so challenging. Gracie and I have a good relationship, but these days it seems she is testing everything. She is not a cuddle bird. She is very strong willed and seems always to be testing me deliberately. Tonight at 9Pm she did her "nite nite" ritual. Every evening at 9 Pm she says "Gracie go nite nite. Sweet dreams, Step up. Back in cage." Her cage door is open. She can go in at out at her will, but she sits on top of the cage and beckons me. I go to her. I say, "Gracie want to step up? Back in cage? Nite nite?" And I offer my hand. She either walks away or nips at me and says"Ah Ah...no no." She obviously wants to go to bed, but it's like she calls me and then resists and nips. Sometimes when she looks at me I feel like she is saying "I dare you"--"Give me your hand. I will nip it. I will reject you." On the other hand, when she knows I am leaving for work she acts so helpless and sad. The minute I go to take a shower and get dressed she says, "Daddy go bye bye in car. Daddy go to work. I'll be back!!" She flies at me. She tries to land on my head and grips my hair to keep me home. If I leave the room, she calls and calls. But if I offer my hand, she nips. It seems she loves me and hates me. In some ways I envy you who have sweet cuddly greys. On the other hand, I honestly believe Gracie is exceptionally intelligent even by African Grey standards. She talks to me very directly with meaning. It is not coincidence or chance. She talks to me like any child would. Sometimes I don't like what she says. She manipulates, charms and even lies to me--with full understanding of what she is doing. She says, "Gracie no bite. Kiss kiss. Trust Gracie" then CHOMP. "Trust? How can she even use or understand that word? But she does use it--and I think she knows what she is saying even when it is a lie. A lie. My bird lies. What does that say about her mind? This is amazing stuff. I am not discouraged because we do love each other. But sometimes I feel she wants to battle me. Fight me--win some contest. I just love her and try to let her know that we are together for the long run. When I talk about Gracie to people who have not met her, they seem to doubt what I say. It is too complex for a mere animal--a mere bird brain. But I will swear with my entire being that I live with a creature who seems to possess cognitive abilities that rival any living being. My friends and family know her and have seen it and are utterly amazed. But at the end of the day, I don't want a battle of wills with Gracie. I don't want any more bites. I don't want her to say " Don't bite Daddy" and then get a chomp on my arm. I wish I knew how to reach her and let her know I am on her side and love her. I am so happy she is in my life,but it isn't easy and my feelings do get hurt.

Jeff, just some thoughts for you to consider.

The "nite nite" ritual first. Gracie could be telling you she see's no reason to be locked in her cage. She is out all day in your absence for example, so why would you wish to at night? She could be letting you know if she wishes to sleep in her cage, she will get in on her own. Thus the "Ah Ah...no no" perhaps.

The morning ritual before going to work. She knows what is going to happen. You will leave and be gone all day. She wants you to stay or take her with you. It is counter intuitive for a grey to be separated from the flock and a life threatening event their deep rooted instincts are telling them so. She does love you, but she is exasperated, has separation anxiety and is displaying it by acting out as you describe.

When you say sometimes it's like a contest. I suppose it could be, but think it is more like a child throwing a tantrum when they don't get their way and just keep trying anyway. They are not bound to the same reasoning and submission we humans all must succumb to or be labeled as outcasts or hellions by our peers and society. Grey don't care if we think they are "Bad to the bone" at times. They just want their way sometimes and really are tired of us forcing our will on them. At least thats my take on watching Dayo and other greys. They are wondering just who the hell we think we are. The supreme rulers of the world? They let us know, we are NOT! :P

Jeff, just some thoughts for you to consider.

The "nite nite" ritual first. Gracie could be telling you she see's no reason to be locked in her cage. She is out all day in your absence for example, so why would you wish to at night? She could be letting you know if she wishes to sleep in her cage, she will get in on her own. Thus the "Ah Ah...no no" perhaps.

I have a similar bed time ritual with Misty that I have mentioned before. He will start to say "Bed time " to me late at night. But what he means is not that he wants to be put in his cage to sleep but he wan't me to go to bed and leave him in peace!;)

He does let me put him in his cage but he would far prefer I let him sleep in his tree perch. As we share our living room I can't take the chance that he won't wreck it in my absence.

Steve n Misty

You may have unwittingly given Gracie the idea that the language is connected to her reaction, so in saying "Gracie no bite. Kiss kiss. Trust Gracie" she may think of it as a cue to use the bite I think she is warning you rather than reassuring you.

If Gracie is out of cage during the day, and you trust her then, trust her at bedtime. If she refuses to go to bed at bedtime, put her on the floor to figure it out. Walk away. Bedtime is bedtime. She definitely is in the terrible twos. Don't lose sight of the goal.She understands the behavior that is NOT accepted, NOW you need to reinforce it! If she bites, say NO! Put her in the cage for five minutes...LOCK the door, take her out in five minutes and discuss it with her! This is the most critical time to establish a relationship with Gracie. She is testing. Up to you to decide if you want that snuggle bird, or the bird that will bite you for the rest of your relationship.Once you survive the " testing stage", and don't give an inch, outside of empathy.... you will discover the bird that you always wanted! Sophie knows I'm sick, as well as we are missing Kiki. She takes turns hanging with Sean, as well as snuggling with me on couch coughing like crazy. Nancy

• 1 month later...
That has certainly been my experience kittykitty! I've gotten a lot better at reading his body language etc., but like a toddler, when he isn't getting his way I have to watch out for the "spite bite."

Yeah, I know about the "spite bite". The only time Cosmo has given me one of those is when I'm going out of the apartment and in passing his cage, I'd try to give him a little scratch on the back of his neck (which he normally relishes). He knows I'm leaving him for the time being so he'd give me "the hard squeeze". He does say, as I walk out the door, "I'll be right back....Good-Byyye". I respond to him the same.

Being a parrent, doesn't guarantee a " NO bite". Limiting wrist status only, routine " timeout", for unacceptable behavior, followed thru by other family members, once bird trusts all, can make all the difference. We were lucky we had family members available 24/7 when we got Sophie. Being on the same page together, it took us six months to " work out our differences", with Sophie.

One day, she was sitting on my wrist. She started to " bite the air", saying " NO BITE SOPHIE!" She was biting the air. I KNEW she finally understood. I called the kids, I was so excited! I was doing a happy dance. Kids and Sophie thought I was crazy, but I KNEW she finally understood.She went to my shoulder that day, and has been there since. No bites. Nancy

That's great Nancy! Timber is well aware of what "no bite" means and the consequences. There are just times when he is willing to accept the cage time he knows is coming to give me the spite bite. I really think they are like people more than we realize in temperament and personality. By that I mean they are all different. Having three boys, I can tell you that they are all very different. I have one son that I call "Timber II" now. He is extremely bullheaded and will risk dire consequences at times just to make his point! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent a ton of time preparing Sophie for kids going off to college. I taught her that kids were going off to college to get smart like Sophie. Whenever we read a book together, which is daily, and she repeated the word, I would tell her how smart she was. She learned what the word " smart" was. We never had the separation anxiety when kids went off to college two years ago. Sean came home last night late... Today Sophie walked out to meet him, and immediately gave him a kiss, and told him " Sophie is smart!" She hasn't mentioned that for a long time! I believe she truly associates them being off in college, getting smart! ( or just a good thing!) She is all over Sean, like nothing has changed. I am thrilled! Nancy

• 3 months later...

Last week our daughter came home for an overnight visit. This is only the 2nd time she has been around Inara. Once Inara decided that our daughter was just fine to be around she was very relaxed. In the morning, when we were having coffee, Inara could see our daughter sitting in a chair and struck up the following conversation:

Inara: Hello.

Daughter: Hi there.

Inara: Hey, want a cookie? (using the questioning inflection)

Daughter: hahaha

Inara: How about a cookie? (again using the questioning inflection)

Daughter: OK

Inara: Go get the cookie.

Daughter and I just cracked up, and daughter looked at me and said, "She obviously spotted a potential new source!"

Interesting, is that we only say "Hey" to Inara when we're walking in the door, i.e., "Hey Inara, we're back." Or she may hear me say, "Hey Joe, can you come here and xyz?" Also, the "how about" is something that we don't say to her but she apparently has overheard us saying to one another like, "How about sandwiches for supper?" or "How about if we rendezvous at 7 for a video?"

The other day Inara and I had a wonderful nap together. I was seated on the floor propped up with my back against the couch, and Inara was perched happily on my crossed arms. We'd finished sharing an almond butter sandwich and having a nice chat. She was all fluffed up and snoozy, totally relaxed and yawned a couple of times, and I dozed off. After a brief nap on my part, I awoke and could see that she was very sleepy as it was around her bedtime. I took her home to her cage, and placed her on her favorite roosting perch. She sat there for a moment and asked, "Where did the cookie go?"

It made me wonder if perhaps she had been dreaming about a cookie. She has asked in the past, "Where did Dezi go?" and "Where did Joe go." Surprising us both times, as this is certainly something that she picked up through ambient learning by listening to our conversations. But the cookie question was interesting to say the least. (Bird) cookies are one of her favorite things. She will say, "Want a cookie." "Go get the cookie." But always as a statement/order. So to use it appropriately in asking our daughter if she wanted one, and asking also where the cookie went illustrates that Inara is learning the difference between questions and declarative/imperative statements.

Other times, she just uses "cookie" as shorthand for being hungry. She will also combine Hello and What are you doing into "What-oh" which has become her shorthand way of flock calling.

Edited by Inara

I find that Gracie adds phrases in context. I have tried to teach Gracie to comment verbally on what she is doing and what I am doing at any given moment. I began by saying "Gracie whatcha doing?" and then describing her current activities. It started with location and then moved to activities in that location. Now When I say "Gracie Whatcha doing?' Gracie responds with location and action. For example. "Gracie on perch. Gracie like toys"(said when playing). Or "Gracie on cage. Gracie like veggies" (said when eating). She does the same with my activities. When I nap on the couch on weekend mornings, Gracie says, "Daddy on couch. Daddy sleepy. Daddy take nap...(snore sound)" She always says this in context when it is actually happening--not random words.

When I nap on the couch on weekend mornings, Gracie says, "Daddy on couch. Daddy sleepy. Daddy take nap...(snore sound)" She always says this in context when it is actually happening--not random words.

I love hearing about Gracie. The only down side to their speech capabilities, is they are brutally honest. Now if we could just teach them proper etiquette in not sharing too much in mixed company. :P Thanks for sharing this. :)

• 2 months later...

This morning, Inara talked her way through a spontaneous flying event. I was snuggled into a chair, coffee in one hand, book in the other, and HRH on her play perch to my left. From my peripheral vision, I saw her begin to climb onto one of the posts on her perch, and heard her say, "OK. OK. It's alright. Ready?" then the whir of wings and two little feet landed firmly upon the arm of my chair. I'm not sure which of us was more surprised. She generally only chooses to fly when startled, or she will fly to the floor from her perch and begin walking toward her cage when she wants to go home.

Naturally, she insisted upon a repeat performance, sans the pre-flight check list. I was happy to oblige. Inara's verbal mediation of her wants and activities continues to grow at light speed. Some examples of what she is now communicating with intent:

I want to go out.

Let's go to the kitchen.

You go cook, you.

I want to go out to play.

Are you ready to go?

Get to work.

The other day, Dezi and I came in from outside, and HRH asked, "Did you find the cookies?" Floored me. Naturally, in the wild a major part of a bird's day is looking for and finding food. Perhaps there is a little hard wire in her brain that equates flock members being gone with searching for food. I do say to her, "Let's go find Joe," when he is in another room. It says a lot for the complexity of what she is learning, that she has generalized "find" to other things and situations, not to mention asking a question.

I speak with her and to her as I would to a bright human child. I refrain from slurring words together (i.e. "wanna" instead of "want to," etc.), I speak clearly, use correct English grammar, and always answer Inara when she is talking. She is just 2.5 years old, and one can only imagine what she will be like 10 years from now. When saying that I speak to her as I would to a bright human child, I don't mean to compare her with one, as inter-species comparisons are simply inadequate at best. As an early English user, she is doing outstanding.

On her own, she has picked up the correct usage of pronouns "I" vs. "You"; the concepts of "let's," "find", past tense "did," and specific rooms of the house, "kitchen." She rarely just chatters anymore, and is apropos to context in most things she says now. Even the well placed, "Now what the quack?!"

She is able to correctly match acrylic rings in the colors red, blue, green, and yellow to their corresponding places on posts that have the color indicated on them. Her hit rate, while not yet 100% is high, I'll do some percentage calculating soon. She loves the game and calls it "O"s -- which is the name she made up for it herself. I can only speculate that she equates their shape with the cheerios I used to give her when she first arrived. I used to ask her if she wanted an "O." She decided long ago that cheerios were not the tasty treats that I had led her to believe, and gave them up. To recall and name their shape in relation to the colored rings shows a great memory bank and again, good generalization.

She also is a very clever little liar:

HRH: "I want to go out. OK?"

Me: "Later, I am busy now."

HRH: "Dezi needs to go out."

Me: "Liar. Dezi is sleeping."

I'm not really concerned about her manipulations, unless she asks for the keys to the car.

Fly often,

HRH Inara's Humble Servant