NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Cognition and language abilities

danmcq

An interesting point concerning Joe…in the last few months he has undergone a complete metamorphism once again. Instead of the normal behavior of asking questions, saying cute things, random sentences, etc., Joe had become an authority figure….an equal to Jay and I. His speech, his actions are matter-of-fact…staying to the point of the conversation at the time. Joe offers his own opinion and advice now and often gives us his two-cents as an equal entity. It seems he regards himself as on par with us humans…he makes statements now, “I want dinner”, “I want to go bye-bye”, “I want to go see Papa”, etc. He states his likes and dislikes now…What other changes are in store? What new wonders will Joe surprise us with?

Joe is certainly exercising his right as an "equal" flock member to voice his thoughts, opinions and decide when and where he wishes to go. He has truly blossomed over the last year it seems and I enjoy reading these updates on his vocal and physical cogtive abilites that have (I believe) been subdued for for a long time. Your just seeing the tip of the iceberg. :)

Quinn just had his 2nd hatch day. We celebrated by making a video on my Mini Pad that was 20 mins long. Too long to send to my computer for proper editing. Quinn now loves to talk more than anything and pretty much does it all day. Since I am the sole provider of conversation, I need to come up with things he wants to copy. The latest is Trot Trot to Boston a children's nursery rhyme. He learned all the words in a week and is now having a problem getting it all in the right order, sometimes putting words together in a way that makes you laugh. He seems to me to be an amazingly fast learner, compared to a number of other Greys that I have known. He learns a phrase or two a week with little help from me except the indroduction of it.

He hasn't figured out exactly what all these words are for, he just enjoys the sound of them. He did learn, very quickly, the phrase "No bite!" and maybe even gets that it has meaning. I think he knows what chop means, that is his chopped food, but that is about it. Anyone know when understanding that words means something takes place?

IMG_0041.jpg

Congrats on Quinn mastering human speech. When they bother to learn a word or a phrase. They have already determiined what it means because it is important to them. Like a favorite food item, saying hello, no bite ( because it is normally said with high emotion) It does not take them long after learning multiple phrases what the operating words are, the items described and how to combine them. Quinn is already demonstrating the high level cognitive skills these very intelligent all possess. Once they start saying words and phrases, the next few years will be exponential growth of new ones. You will find them learning and using new words in one day. It is awe inspiring to witness this happening in real-time. :)

I don't know why it has taken me so long to post in this thread. Probably because I am totally consumed by trying to stop the smoke detector noise that Tango loves to make to get attention, that I forget how amazing he really is. There are so many things that he does that blow my mind on a daily basis, but here is the latest.

My boyfriend and I have an inside joke about a relative that they sound like a CB radio when they are on the phone. So every time I am on the phone with that person my boyfriend makes a static noise. Well the other day, this relative was over helping me with some home improvements and as soon as they walked in the door Tango started making the static sound and talking in their voice.

At least the relative didn't get the joke :)

You are doing nicely with young Quinn. I am sure if you looked you could find an app for your 'Pad to help edit your film without having to export it to your computer. I think Greys are good at associating sounds including human words with actions events and things. It helps if they have some kind of emotional investment with the subject or object. I think "water" is one of the easiest because it is a natural substance that Greys instinctively know about. Greys will often mimic the sound of water and develop an association. Picking up the human word is an easy follow on. Water is one of Misty's most common words. Depending on how he says it I can usually tell if he want's a drink just commenting or making an observation. One problem is that they might make an association that does not accord with the human meaning. Misty uses "Stoppit" in a hard whispered pronunciation when he wants me to share my food or give him a treat. I assume that because I would say it to him to distract him from eating the furniture etc he decided it was a way to attract my a attention. It is hard to change but it can be done. But it works for me and I understand what he means. Some things he picked up from listening to me comment when I am doing something. Like "Cuppa tea" "Coffee coffee" "Toast". All observations from my kitchen activities. They soon note when a sound (word) they make gets a reaction from you or when a friend comes to visit that they have a special label (name). I think it is important to understand that Greys do not understand the distinction of words as such. Sounds can also have equal meaning. If you are consistent with what you say when you greet, when you come and go, when it's bed time and when you offer food, Quinn will soon pick up.

Steve n Misty

How great for you that Quinn is a "talker!" It seems to me like they are similar to toddlers. They do a lot of babbling, then begin using language and phrases appropriately when the time is right.

LOL to Tango's making the link to your "cb" relative. Fortunately for all of us, most of the relatives don't understand how smart they are. It could get embarrassing! ;)

Spock... Congratulations with joe. He has come a long way, and is developing the confidence and "loving himself", that all greys need in order to prosper! Its just going to get better for you guys and Joe and rest of gang.Its important for all flock members to feel their opinion matters and respected.Joe obviously is trusting you all and letting you know. I LOVE when Sunny our conure comes out to talk. He unfortunately doesn't talk human... but I know when he is mad. He will talk non-stop bird talk . I will say... " I understand you are not happy. Have you talked to the girls about this?" He usually settles down. Having lots of psychiatrists in the family sure does pay off sometimes! LOL (Nooooo not seeing them.... family members are them for you wise guys!). Nancy

Gracie appears to understand gender. At first Gracie learned the phrase "Gracie is a good girl." Then she started saying "Daddy is a good girl", so I would correct her and say "No, Daddy is a good boy." After a while she started saying various friends were good boys and girls. Now she is dead on accurate with her gender specification. Daddy, Bill, and Barkleah the dog are always good boys. Gracie. Mommy, Pam, and Marie are good girls. I never taught her this. I didn't ever say Bill is a boy and Mommy is a girl. She gets it right almost every time without fail. I'm still trying to figure out how she is able to do it--especially with non-avians like humans and at least one dog. How does she know? I assure you, we all dress very modestly--well not the dog.....and he has short hair so it can be kind of "in your face"--lol

Edited by JeffNOK

Gracie is one sharp grey to be identifying verbally the gender of humans and dogs. You gave her the human word for gender by correcting her. How do they know gender of other species? I have no clue, but they do. They have this ability from a very early age at just months old. At that early age, they develop a preference for either male or female humans.

Jakes lastest word is pork chop and he does understand what it is. This morning I handed Jake a beloved peanut which he threw and said "want pork chop", I handed him a roni which he threw and said "want pork chop", I tried giving him a toy which he threw back at me and said "want pork chop". He is now eating a damn pork chop. I swear the little bugger knew that my partner in crime saved one from dinner last night and that he was going to have it for breakfast this morning.

The little bugger better not think that this is the new normal and that he lives in pork chop paradise. I only have 1 more package of pork chops in the freezer and am saving that for his Happy Hatchday dinner next month. Then there are no more pork chops until late fall.

***Edited to clarify. Jake likes the bones from unseasoned, baked pork chops. He doesn't get them until the meat has been removed.

Edited by Wingy

Irwin has this awesome habit, and I don't know how he knows, but every time I'm really mad about something he starts making all kinds of cute sounds. He's usually pretty quiet through the day except mornings and late evening or when hes talked too. But, every time I have been mad even if I'm quiet about it he'll start making every sound he knows until I pay attention to him. It's amazing how he knows already. :D

They are amazingly empathetic! I LOVE that Sophie thinks she is far superior to all of us, but push come to shove, she will show empathy to the entire flock if and when they need it.

An example would be... when Sunny our conure was losing weight, it was more a matter of getting old. Kiki who loved him, stopped sleeping with him. Kiki moved to the other cage. I started to find Sophie snuggling with him.I was sure then, he was dying. After a week, Kiki came back, Sophie left him. He started to put weight back on. They knew something I didn't. I didn't question it... I was just relieved Sunny was going to be okay. Nancy

After much consideration, I determined I was not out of my mind for considering adopting another Grey in need. Oscar has completed quarantine, is making progress with me, and personality-wise I suspect he would very much like the company of another Grey. Ellie is also bird-friendly, having lived with a Senegal for many years. From what I know of each bird, I am convinced they will mesh well. Of course, I will not know for certain the particulars until Ellie is out of quarantine. I am committed to each feather-butt, and as Blueberrytunes said, "Once you decide to adopt Ellie, there is no going back. Oscar may want her as a mate or friend, yes, but be prepared for them to dislike each other because you would need to navigate around that." With that in mind, as well as the technicalities of adopting another bird (time, expense, emotional and other general resources), I decided to move forward with adopting Ellie from an extremely loving and stable home (but time-limited, hence the need to rehome her). Ellie's situation was basically the opposite of Oscar's.

Here is my reason for introducing Ellie within this thread: Ellie is already a talker, so displays her intelligence perhaps more readily to my dim human self than Oscar does (and as you all know, Oscar does display great intelligence in spite of his status as a veritable "non-talker"). Already, Ellie mocked my coughing (I have a cold), asked for a grape when I presented her with a nut, meowed at the cats (in a very put upon, "ME-OW", way less realistic than Oscar's mew, haha) and said and done a number of "intelligent things" since arriving home yesterday afternoon. But one thing in particular struck me: As we were pulling away from Ellie's former home, Ellie's loving former owner tearfully said "Goodbye, Ellie" through the car window. Much later, yesterday evening, Ellie grew quiet and seemed pensive, and said in a choked-up human voice "Goodbye, Ellie." This may seem like pure mimicry to some, but Ellie only heard this particular farewell once, and duplicated the sad tone and emotional weight of it perfectly. Furthermore, Ellie grew very quiet, acting very thoughtful for a good long time after she said goodbye to herself. I have no doubt in my mind that she understood she would not be seeing her former owner again. It was a very bittersweet moment for me.

Happy Zombie Jesus Day, everyone. I will introduce Ellie more properly later today, as well as update Oscar's training journal.

As most of you know, we just passed the one-year anniversary of Spock leaving us. We had rescued Joe after Spock was a year old. Spock taught Joe how to be a Grey, how to eat new and exotic foods and meals, how to socialize with birds and humans, how to share, how to play, how two birds can play together, and how to carry on four-way conversations with two birds to two humans. Last, but not least how to get in trouble and how to create plausible deniability...:P Joe and Spock were extremely close to each other (not physically) and had no trouble sharing. This morning, Joe went over to his window where he likes to look out every morning and stood there very still. When I went to check on him and was ready to ask him if he was okay, he called out "Spoooock" through the window screen. He looked at me and said "Spock's gone bye-bye"...he turned back to the window and said brusquely, "Spock, come here!" Talk about a tear-jerk moment...I started crying all over again. :( Maggie

Edited by Jayd

They don't forget their friends. Did Spock carry any kind of ID ? Might he yet come back?

Steve n Misty

Thank you all. No ID........The day 4/1/12 was extremely hot,high 90's and the winds were 60-65+ 24/7. Were wide open in the desert, no where to hide, many birds were killed being blown against the buildings and walls. Spock had Hypoglycemia, and was on a special high carb diet and ate 4 or 5 times a day. Thank you Jay