NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Cognition and language abilities

danmcq

LOL to the poultry! I think (though I don't know) that they pick up words and phrases for different reasons. Some they just like the sound of, and others are based on emotion. Timber also says the "pretty bird, good bird, good boy" type stuff a lot. I'm assuming that is because they are usually said in a loving tone by the owner? He also zeros in on things said with emphasis or emotion (like the bad words). My personal feeling is that a lot of what they choose to say is based on the emotions they hear when we say it.

We notice that he is selective about what words he learns, and even though we scold him for naughty behavior, he only gravitates towards self-praise - e.g., "what a pretty bird", "what a good boy", "sweet Toby", and stranger still, "what a pretty poultry". We've never taught him the word "poultry", so it's not clear how he picked that up! We can't tell if he really understands what he is saying. There are some words that I think appeal to him as sounds and he learns them really quickly - for instance, "stretch", "what", and "whatever" seem to be favorites. His longest phrase so far is "do you want some water?" , which we'll often say to him when we take him back to his cage for some water. But he's not using that phrase to ask for water, as far as we can tell, so he hasn't made the association with the action.

He does understand what the words mean or are associated with. In regards water for example, I believe at this point he has associated that phrase with going back to the cage, which is what is happening. To correct that understanding, you will just need to offer him a drink of water from a cup for example and then the word "Water" will get connected to the substance rather than returning to his cage. The phrase should be changed to just "Lets go to the Cage". If he then goes over and gets a drink of water, at that very moment tell him "Drink of water".

The word poultry.. who knows how that was associated by his previous home. It could have been used in many ways. Since that is not a word used in your home, replace it with Chicken for example when you offer some chicken. They are amazing smart and will pick things up that you describe as you offer them. Always be consistent so they do not get confused.

Yes, they love praise with happy tonal fluctuations in your voice and smiling face as well. They also will pick up emotions associated with words and those said with anger and a loud voice will almost certainly be picked up in a heart beat. Be careful what you say when angry. They are experts at reading body language associated with words as well and are very empathic. They know your emotions.

One other thing you may not know about them talking. When they are just sitting and chilling out, they will go over words and phrases they know. When they do this, they really have no meaning, they are just remembering them and calibrating them to perfection. They also throw in a word or phrase in real time if they see or hear something such as a crow flying by a window view for example and may say "See the Crow?"

This may sound like a load of crap to you at this time, but the term "parroting" used in association with birds is just wrong. They know what they are saying and why. Your grey is one of the most intelligent creatures on this planet. Always keep that in mind when interacting with him. :)

Edited by danmcq

Intelligent is right! Misty has it made.:cool: He has me doing all the work. I provide security, food and entertainment for him. I fetch and carry for him at his request. All he has to do is climb up on me or fly to my shoulder and nuzzle my cheek and say "Tickle tickle" to have me preen him until he dismisses me with a shake of his head. And I simply feel grateful for having the privilege of his company!:o

Steve n Misty

LOL Isn't that the truth! I was listening to a particularly long session of Timber "performing" over the bird cam today (I'm at work, wish I could figure out how to tape remotely). I heard him say "tickle, tickle" for the first time. I say that to him when I'm scratching his head. I also heard "I'm gonna get you bird" which is what my husband says when he is messing with him. Hubby also says "I'm gonna get a red tail feather" which I think I heard some of today. Yesterday, I heard him say "I love you" for the first time. I say it to him regularly and always at bedtime, but hadn't been sure that is what he said until yesterday. I've had him almost nine months now, and I have to say his talking has really picked up the last few weeks. So, don't despair other rehomers! The thing that always amazes me is their change in tone. It is very clear when Timber is saying something he learned from me and when he uses hubby's voice for something he got from him. Fascinating and so endearing... :)

Wingy, I use a Foscam F18910W. There are lots out there and some are cheaper (some are more expensive). I've had good luck with it. It is color, built in mic, two-way, infra-red. I think it was $94. I got it direct from Foscam so I would have support if I couldn't get it hooked up or had trouble with remote viewing, but I didn't have to call.

The quality is good, but dependent on your network speed. The cam is wireless. My DSL is slow (for DSL) so it can be a little jerky and slow to adjust if you are remote. With the software they give you, you can move the cam, take a still pic, turn infra-red off and on etc. You can also view it from your smart phone too. Video cuts in and out sometimes as does audio, but that is the connection, not the camera.

I am satisfied with it. It serves the purpose I intended it for.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the wheels are turning inside Oscar's little feathered head. Because we are working on behavior modification (extinguishing screaming and biting), I am very quick to praise Oscar for "being good". He is clearly testing the "rules", and sometimes seems to size me up before screaming (his pupils dilate as he tilts his head). I immediately leave the room, and Oscar loves getting me to come and go with a scream (go) and a door opening sound or an alarm clock sound (come).

If you were to say that this is a brand of bird manipulation (on Oscar's part, I mean, haha) I would agree with you- I am giving Oscar the power to make his own choices. If he chooses to bite me or scream, I leave the room. If he wants me to come back, all he has to do is be silent for a moment and then use our "call" (the above mentioned door opening sound or alarm clock sound). In time, it would be great if he verbalized (in English) his desires, but really he is doing fine telling me what he wants without talking. The only speech I require of him at this point is "Yaw" (yeah) when I ask if he wants something. If he doesn't say yeah, I wait until he does. This is particularly helpful for me to know what Oscar doesn't want- if he is silent, instead of saying "Yaw", I know that's a no. Once I tried to give Oscar a treat when he was full, and he refused to say "Yaw", he wanted it. When I gave him the treat anyway he snatched it from me and chucked it onto the cage floor. NO. Haha!

Once I tried to give Oscar a treat when he was full, and he refused to say "Yaw", he wanted it. When I gave him the treat anyway he snatched it from me and chucked it onto the cage floor. NO. Haha!

Of course he tossed it, you slow human. You failed the IQ test he was giving you. :P

Greys are more observant than we are, of every detail down to the small twitch of an eyelid. They miss absolutely nothing. They are a living breathing lie detector without need of wired electronics to monitor your every intent, emotion and intelligence. :)

Gracie is still molting out feathers and I notice she is pretty itchy on her neck and head. Well, since she can't quite get to the feathers on the top of her head, she has devised an ingenious way of scratching there. She was in her cage today and I noticed her playing violently with one of her toys that has all kinds of little appendages. I thought she was just playing until I watched her more carefully. She would strike the toy so that it would swing out wide like a pendulum. Then she would turn her head and position it in a way as to let the toy bounce several times of the top of her head. When the toy settled and stopped she would do it again. She wasn't playing so much as using the toy as a head scratcher. I was quite impressed. This seems to qualify as tool use to me. What do you think?

Gracie is intelligent on so many levels. How very industrious of her to use that toy as a scratching assistant! Many grey will, as Steve said, use tools such as a molted out feather. They will grasp it in a talon and use it to itch those scratchy places.

Gracie is intelligent on so many levels. How very industrious of her to use that toy as a scratching assistant! Many grey will, as Steve said, use tools such as a molted out feather. They will grasp it in a talon and use it to itch those scratchy places.

Dan I do hope you are not suggesting I am but a feather!:eek::)

Steve n Misty

Tyson has been with me for almost two weeks now and I've learned a lot about his intelligence and his behaviour.

Re loud sounds (screeches, etc.). I was in fear of these at first, because I live in an apartment, even though there are other large parrots in my building and I obtained landlord's written permission before adopting Tyson. I've learned that Tyson makes two types of loud noises. Firstly, he makes what I call "purposeless" noises. Really they're sounds he makes because he's feeling bored or just wants attention. I found that if I just ignore these sounds and/or leave the room, Tyson will stop making them and switch to quieter sounds. I try to encourage quieter sounds like talking, whistling etc. by responding to them. So, if he wants attention he now knows to make sounds I respond positively to. Since he came to live with me, Tyson makes these head-ringing noises a lot less often!

Next, there are the purposeful loud noises. The most frequent (and irritating) sound Tyson makes is a loud, piercing telephone ringing sound. It's extremely convincing (even though my phone doesn't sound like this) and sometimes I get the urge to answer it! But - Tyson only makes this noise under certain circumstances. It's his morning wake-up Mommy alarm call. Tyson's cage is at the opposite end of my apartment from my bedroom, so he's making sure I can hear him. He will also use this call occasionally if I spend too much time in the bathroom. Since I know this call has a purpose ("reach out and touch someone"? like the old long distance commercials) I do respond to it verbally. As soon as he gets that response, Tyson will stop the phone sound.

Finally there are expressions like "Good Morning!" I always knew that birds know what this and other phrases mean (or at least they associate their own meaning with it) but Tyson proved today that he knows how to use it appropriately. He normally only says Good Morning to me only when we first get up in the morning. This afternoon, however, I fell asleep on the couch. It started getting dark outside, and I normally take the dogs out and feed everyone around that time. I was awakened by a little voice insistently repeating "Good Morning!! Good Morning!! Good Morning!". Even after I groggily replied "Good morning", Tyson wouldn't stop repeating it until I sat up and turned the light on. Then he began his usual whistles, chirps and other favourite sounds and phrases.

Tyson is highly intelligent (As you know). One of the first "human" contact calls they learn is the phone ringing. They very quickly realize that sound brings the response of coming and getting the phone. Perfect example of reasoning. I always responded with "I hear you", "Just a minute" or "Here I come". The most important thing is to use a short phrase that he will know has meaning and what to expect. Just the sound of him hearing a response gives him several pieces of information, like how far away you are, that you are in the house and in which direction etc.

Good morning is cute and very appropriate in the sense he knew you were sleeping and it was time to get up and feed the dogs. They know time tables very well and will be your personal schedule assistant in case you fall down on keeping with it. :)

Just got a new phone today. I was going through the ringtones and as soon as I found the same one as my old phone Misty goes "Hello?".He also does this when my landline rings with a different ringtone. He doesn't imitate either but he does have his own ringtone that he has always had and I assume it from his former keepers phone from more than eight years ago.

He also says "By By" just as the call is coming to the end. His timing is almost uncanny. He can tell by the way the conversation is going when it is soon to end. Also he can often tell if I am speaking to my daughter Robyn as he will call out her name!

Steve n Misty

I LOVE listening to Sophie on her " make believe phone!" She dials a seven digit number... ( obviously local), has a conversation with herself. " hello!" oh HI! How are you? Laughing, laughing Babbles in baby talk. Then... alright, okay, goodbye. CLICK Once in awhile I remind her she forgot to say goodbye. Starts from scratch! LOL Nancy

I LOVE listening to Sophie on her " make believe phone!" She dials a seven digit number... ( obviously local), has a conversation with herself. " hello!" oh HI! How are you? Laughing, laughing Babbles in baby talk. Then... alright, okay, goodbye. CLICK Once in awhile I remind her she forgot to say goodbye. Starts from scratch! LOL Nancy

Misty used to do something similar when I first adopted him. He would recite calls from his former adopter at length starting with "Hello" and finishing with "By by" like your Sophie. He no longer does that. I guess he never paid his phone bill and got cut off.;) So now he just starts and ends all my calls for me.:D

Steve n Misty

Recently Gracie has been putting more phrases together and using words creatively with combinations she has never heard. This weekend I went to my parents home for the weekend to celebrate my birthday. She has names for many people. She calls my mother "mommy" and my dad "BIll". Well, I went out to meet a friend, and after I left Gracie flew over near where my mother was sitting and said< "Daddy go bye bye in car. Gracie stay home with Mommy." Now the first phrase, "Daddy go bye bye car", Gracie has heard many times. However, she has never heard "Gracie stay home with mommy." Often Gracie will ask me "Daddy go bye bye in car?" If I am not going anywhere, I just say "No, Daddy stay home with Gracie". Gracie swtiched the names in order to describe the current situation. My mom was dumbfounded and couldn't wait to tell me when I got home.

Gracie swtiched the names in order to describe the current situation. My mom was dumbfounded and couldn't wait to tell me when I got home.

Gracie's vocabulary and understanding is coming along very well under your tutelage. I love to hear of these examples in which true language usage and thought processes are shown. Just wait, it will become much more common as gracie continues to learn. Some will leave you rolling on the floor that she will come up with abd others scratching your head trying to figure out what she means. :)

One of Dayo's originals when the phone rings and he does not wish to speak... "Hello, talk to the Meatloaf!".