NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Cognition and language abilities

danmcq

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well guys, I hope this uploads on here.... it's not very long and it's not video because I used my Iphone, and have to go outside or leave the room for her to do it !! LOL I hope this works!! If it's successful...tell me what you guys think of "Bobbie that thinks she's a canary"?? The weird thing is that she usually does the 'truck backing up tone' then the canary thing right after it, now that I'm recording it she does the 'bomb dropping' sound then the canary!!!!

http://s144.beta.photobucket.com/use...5e3ae.mp4.html

http://s144.beta.photobucket.com/use...0d4ad.mp4.html

I hope I didn't build it up too much... I think it's pretty awesome!!

Didn't work for me either. Try it again. Good luck.

When something is put on Photobucket, there's 4 links assigned to the pic/video to choose from. Try DIRECT LINK.

Hi, Left click the 4th link Code, Right click on your post and click "paste", when you "Submit" it will reload and show the photo/movie......

grey-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been utterly amazed by this thread. My first interaction with a Grey was when I was working part time at a friends pet store. There was a customer that traveled internationally quite frequently, so his Grey would stay at the store. This bird was amazing, and was the reason for me wanting a Grey. He didn't talk a ton, but when he did it was clear, and relevant to what was going on.

Now, I've had Charlie for about 5 days now and he is not talking a lot. I am so looking forward to hearing him talk more and being able to communicate with him like I read about in these stories. On the other hand, I understand that he is a rescue, and is 15 years old, so it may be a few months before we really get to hear him talk frequently. However, I will share some of what he does now.

1. He communicates with sounds. We have learned very quickly through body language, that if you are doing something he is unsure about, or he doesn't like, he makes a high pitched "beep" sound. This is his way of saying "NO!" or "back off". If you are trying to rub his neck or something. He will also raise is foot, get ahold of your finger, and move your hand away. It is very clear that he is moving you hand and not trying to step up. This is because when he does this you can feel him pushing you away, not trying to put his weight on you like he would if he was stepping up.

2. He does not say "step up". But when he wants to step up, he makes a short whistle sound that ascends in pitch. This is accompanied by his foot being raised.

3. If you irritate him at all, he will give you a light "bite" (I quote this because it's not really a bite, but more of a "grab you and stop your action with his beak"). When he gives you this little "bite" he says "OUCH!!" I am guessing this is because his previous owner would say ouch if he would bite them.

4. Anytime water is turned on, a toilet is flushed, his water bowl is disturbed, it rains, etc. Basically anytime anything happens where water is involved, he makes the water drop sound.

5. He makes the "smooch" sound, or kissy noise. He is aware of what he is doing on this one. My wife will say "good night Charlie" and he will blow here a kiss (smooch followed by a blowing sound). If he is on your and, he will lean in and touch his beak to your cheek or lips, without being asked to, and make the smooch sound when his beak touches you.

6. He has only done this once, but the phone was ringing the other day and my wife got up to answer it. As she walked past he said "Hello, who is it?".

7. The guy who owns the rescue program that we got him from is allergic to birds (yes, he runs a rescue for birds and is allergic to them. He said he gets two shots a month so that he can keep doing the rescue). So since he is allergic, he will sometimes sneeze and will also blow his nose. When we got Charlie, he was making a strange noise when you touched you finger to his beak. We quickly realized that he is "blowing his nose". Now, we can say "can you blow your nose for me?" And he will lean in to your hand, touch his beak to your fingers, and give two or three short "puffs" and then shake his head. My wife finds this hysterical, as does my 3 year old son.

8. He is also mumbling several phrases that we are unsure of and haven't quite caught yet. One sounds like "Love You", but is mumbled and quiet enough that we are not sure. He said it last night and we very honestly thought he was uttering a profanity, as he wasn't really happy at the time (he had just gotten a shower and was wet. My wife asked, "did you like your shower?" and he responded with "..... YOU".). So, not quite sure on that one.

9. My 11 year old son was sitting in the kitchen having a snack. After taking a drink, he did what most boys his age commonly do, he burped, very loudly. Charlie proceeded to burp as well, and then followed it with "EXCUSE MEEE!!". My hope is that Charlie can teach my son to find the manners that he was taught and once had, but seems to have lost in his "pre-teen" phase.

10. He mimics all kinds of sounds in the house. The front door creaks, the alarm beeps when the door is opened, the phone rings, and after it stops ringing he makes what I think is an answering machine beep (we have started telling him "leave a message at the beep" when he makes this noise). There are also several other sounds I have heard come from him but haven't quite figured them out yet.

Overall, he is an amazing bird. I can't wait to be able to share more stories.

Edited by jangell

Wow! You are off to a great start with Charlie! :-)

His mannerisms in interacting with you and the family display a very well brought up grey in homes that obviously spent time interacting with him and guiding him on proper human/parrot relationships. Just the items you have listed above, show he has effectively already started teaching you how to interact with him based on the human/parrot dynamics he has learned over the years. Very impressive!

You are going to be in for many more surprises as his entire personality and intellectual abilities are displayed to you over the coming months. Thanks for sharing this! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Dayo knows body parts for human and parrot i.e. beak/nose, feet, hair/feather etc.

So I have had a cold/sinus infection for the first time in 6 years. Well I have been blowing my nose and have told Dayo thats what I am doing. Yesterday my wife was doing something in the kitchen and hears Dayo say "I have to blow my Beak"! My wife and I almost fell over laughing. I believe this clearly indicates as I described his body parts knowledge above, that he is fully aware he does not have a nose, thus blowing his beak. Which is in his mind the equivalent to my nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy lately.....but here's an update on Charlie....he is still doing great and is talking more and more every day.......

He is now up to complete phrases and sentences...and they do make sense.....plus he is answering our questions, or responding to our statements much more frequently.....Here are some examples...

He will say "OK" to many things........He will say "yes" or "no" appropriately in answer to a question asked.......If you go to get his food bowl to refill he says "get out of here"...when you've got it...he says "give me that back".........He says "Charlie's a pretty bird", "Charlie bird", he does an evil laugh....he barks at our dogs.....tells the dogs "go away", "get em", and "go to bed". He also says "whatever". The other day he asked one of our dogs "you wanna go outside?, You need to go potty?" which is what we ask them when they get antsy....he will ask "where'd you go", he will say "get back here" if you leave the room. When the phone rings he will answer it...always after the second ring......he will say "hello......HELLOOOO........nobody's there.........(beeep)"..........and he also says "tickle, tickle, tickle" ...........there are so many other phrases I can't even remember them all.....it is hysterical when he pops out with something unexpected......he continues to surprise us every day.....

Edited by jangell

Coincidental mutterings or something more? This afternoon I was looking for my battery operated tv to try out the new antenna I bought for it. When I asked my partner in crime if he had seen it turned around and asked me if I had looked for it. In frustration and not a little irritated I said I know where it was, I know its suppose to be but I don't know where it is now. Jake, who had been chattering away, promptly exclaimed Bad Boy!. We have never used that phrase, ever. We use "not nice" when he does something he shouldn't, "no bite" and "good boy" to praise him so they are never confused. I am amazed that he put those words together and used them at just the right time.

Too funny wingy! They all learn alright.I'm taking a course at work that I have too. I haven't been to school in years, never mind having to study. Whats working for me, is spreading my books on the family room floor and studying. What i'm studying, requires me to learn a sequence of events, that I repeat out loud. Sophie LOVES it! She keeps walking in, trying to eat my books. I keep putting her back on her playstand, telling her " NO Sophie! No chew!"After the third time walking out, trying to eat my books and returning her, she got it. She sat quiet as a mouse on my shoulder. I could tell she was dying to eat my books. but she was being good. I praised her and offered a book that I had just finished. She was soooo cute! She talked to her book as I was talking to my book. When I turned my page, I turned her page. We were studying together. LOL Unfortunately, my book was about saving lives, her book was a love story. I hope she skipped the smutty parts! Nancy

This isn't really special in the cognition department, but it was kind of funny. My husband has been trying to get Timber to "take" to him since we brought him home. He spends a lot of time "playing" with him, which I'm not sure Timber doesn't see as aggravation. Sometimes he seems to enjoy it (you know how they love attention) other times he seems annoyed. At any rate, hubby was putting his hand on the cage on one side then moving it to another area. Timber will run and grab the cage bars with his beak then run to the next location where his hand is. Believe it or not, he seems to think this is a game and enjoys it. At any rate, he tripped a bit on a toy in the bottom of the cage and missed. Hubby laughed, Timber said "asshole." Ha. That isn't a word he got from us, but apparently one he knows to use appropriately!