NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Cognition and language abilities

danmcq

Hi Dan, If you want to see a video of Brutus. i have one from last year. If you get on You Tube and type in, "Brutus has Questions" you will see it.

Great video of Brutus. He is a very clear talker! Don't you just love it when they ramble like that? I do. :)

Chezron... try to be interested in the toy by yourself. Guarantee Brutus will take an interest! Also... have him pull the string ( make it so he THINKS he's pulling the string). Push toy away instead of pulling the string. He will think he did it, and he's so cool! LOL Nancy

Casey Luria you will find it in the babies aisle of any toy store. Nancy

Chezron... try to be interested in the toy by yourself. Guarantee Brutus will take an interest! Also... have him pull the string ( make it so he THINKS he's pulling the string). Push toy away instead of pulling the string. He will think he did it, and he's so cool! LOL Nancy

Casey Luria you will find it in the babies aisle of any toy store. Nancy

They stopped selling the model with the string in 1989 and switched to a push handle. The see and say of today uses batteries.

From Dan, "Great video of Brutus. He is a very clear talker! Don't you just love it when they ramble like that? I do. "

Thanks for watching. I will post a new video tomorrow. The problem is he is much more talkative when he is in the other room and not being videotaped. I LOVE when he goes on and on. For some reason, I always forget he can talk (that probably doesn't make sense except he is not human and it still blows me away!), and it always delights me. He just freakin' cracks me up all day long. Today he was being "Godzilla" and he is always Godzilla whenever I am doing something new. Meaning that, he flies right over and attempts to destroy whatever I am doing. I always have a Plan B with sacrificial lambs that he can destroy while I am doing the target activity. He LOVES to contribute! He aims to please!

I think the You tube video will be titled, "Brutus wants a Kiss."

Here is Brutus' new video.

Dan, do you have your grey on You tube?

I loved this video, it is impressive that Brutus has learned "Where do you live, 4560 La Mesa". Thanks for sharing this. :)

Yes, Dayo is on Youtube. Here is just one of the many:

There were some crows out at our waterfall Dayo could see through the sliding doors directly in front of his cage. Thus the crows coming up several times as he chatted.

Edited by danmcq

Oh Brutus knows what he is saying. For example, in the morning when he wants out of his cage he will try simple logic "Ready to Go" or "Wanna go outside" with manipulation "I love you", and finally guilt "Gotta go to work." That last one really cracks me up! We take him outside most days for sun and he must stay in his cage until around 11am, so we can roll his cage outside. I wish we could just put him back in but once he is out, he will not step up because he is too busy.

Another funny thing, he choses what he wants to say, he is a selective talker. We taught him our whole address but he doesn't like to say the street name, so he leaves it out. I was kind of hoping if he ever flew away knowing his address might get him back to us, but now it will be a puzzle for the listener.

Edited by chezron

I have found that most parrots are selective about what they say. They say what sounds neat to them, or what gets them a reward. The Greys are more interested in real communication than other parrots, but they still want to have fun and get some sort of reward. Brutus might say the full address for a reward, at least to start with. I think the Greys can say anything they want to, or chose to. They may say five hundred words, but the are capable of saying ten times that.

Edited by Casey Luria

Oh Brutus knows what he is saying. For example, in the morning when he wants out of his cage he will try simple logic "Ready to Go" or "Wanna go outside" with manipulation "I love you", and finally guilt "Gotta go to work." That last one really cracks me up! We take him outside most days for sun and he must stay in his cage until around 11am, so we can roll his cage outside. I wish we could just put him back in but once he is out, he will not step up because he is too busy.Another funny thing, he choses what he wants to say, he is a selective talker. We taught him our whole address but he doesn't like to say the street name, so he leaves it out. I was kind of hoping if he ever flew away knowing his address might get him back to us, but now it will be a puzzle for the listener.

No doubt at all Brutus knows what he is saying!!! He just wishes you would comply with his commands, oh wait you thought they were just requests? :P

I love hearing about Brutus! :)

I have found that most parrots are selective about what they say. They say what sounds neat to them, or what gets them a reward. The Greys are more interested in real communication than other parrots, but they still want to have fun and get some sort of reward. Brutus might say the full address for a reward, at least to start with. I think the Greys can say anything they want to, or chose to. They may say five hundred words, but the are capable of saying ten times that.

They are selective, you right and yes they can say anything and pick and chose what they wish to say. They also truncate sentences sometimes and then jump to a completely different topic... almost as if they changed their mind on what they want or wish to reminisce about.

They are selective, you right and yes they can say anything and pick and chose what they wish to say. They also truncate sentences sometimes and then jump to a completely different topic... almost as if they changed their mind on what they want or wish to reminisce about.

That sounds a bit like my brother! :D

Steve n Misty

• 2 weeks later...
;) Hi, Maggie here...We told you about Joey saying okay...well, Joey surprised us today. It was getting close to dinner time and I was cooking some of their dinner items. Joey had been very persistent about wanting a good nut. I told him numerous times that I was making a good dinner and he would have to wait to which he replied "Okay" in a very put-upon tone. Then he said, "Papa's a good boy. Joe's a good boy. I love you. Want a good nut.". I replied (yet again) "Joe, dinner's almost ready. You are going to have to wait." His reply blew me away..."Okay, I'll wait..." in a very resigned tone of voice. :(

LOL, Joe is persistent in his requests! Just like a child. Whats interesting is the manipulation he tried with high fives all around by saying everyone of importance is "Good", he loves you and then then clincher "Want good nut". In other words since we're all "Good" lets celebrate, lets have a good nut. Perfect reasoning! :P He also shows a clear understanding of correct usage of pronouns which is a complicated language process to arrive at with his use of "I' and "I'll".

I'll bet anything, since he obviously knows what "Wait" means. It will not be long before he starts telling others to "Wait" as they squawk. whistle or whatever verbal means they use to state their want for a meal being cooked.

I tend to say " shhhh", when everyone is squaking at once, and it is wayyyy too loud here. Obviously Sophie gets this, as Ryan is sleeping on the couch due to his insomnia. I always find her sleeping with him. Butt in the air, her beak buried under his chin. The other morning, I was running the dishwasher, getting pups to go outside. She stuck her head up, said " shhhh!" LOL! I told her " I will NOT shhh! Ryan needs to learn to sleep in his own bed!

She didn't argue, but left him for my shoulder. ( must be funner to hangout with someone who will pay attention to you!") Nancy