NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Cognition and language abilities

danmcq

I have never had a parrot at this stage of development and I am really enjoying it. He is at the moment innocent and curious and enjoying all his toys the eating like a horse. He is beginning to want to be with me and snuggle a bit. It took a while for him to warm up so I am thrilled that he has. My experience has been trying to make friends with Greys that have already accepted someone else as their flock member. Quinn is going to be my bird. I am looking forward to all the good things I know he will do. I do think he will talk fairly early. I have a really good track record when it comes to teaching parrots to talk. I only had one cockatiel that didn't talk. I think Quinn is pretty bright and can't wait to have him really relate to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Marcus said something else memorable last night; unfortunately I wasn't the one to hear it! While I was doing the dishes, it was my husband who was hanging out with him in the den, with Marcus up on his swing and an old mystery program playing in the DVD player. The character on the show had just put on a bright, white mink coat. Marcus apparently said something in a low tone because my husband suddenly told him, with a bit of surprise in his voice, that she was wearing a coat and it was made of fur.

He (my husband) immediately turned in my general direction and asked me if I just heard what Marcus said to him. I replied that I had not. My hubby explained that Marcus had said, "Is she wearing feathers?"

So of course I had to go in there and add my two cents and help him understand, too, that her coat was made out of fur, not feathers. But I think it's neat that he was watching the television and paying attention--I just would have liked to have heard him ask that, myself!

How very intelligent of Marcus to ask if fur was feathers on that women. Probably wanted to make certain feathers had not become fashionable as human outer wear. :P

His intelligence and use of the human language is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing this. :)

How very intelligent of Marcus to ask if fur was feathers on that women. Probably wanted to make certain feathers had not become fashionable as human outer wear. :P

His intelligence and use of the human language is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing this. :)

You're welcome. :) I thought that little idea he came up with (the concept of the woman putting on "feathers") was a neat, tiny insight into his little avian brain, myself. And I guess it makes sense, really. If I was a bird I'd probably assume outerwear was made up of what I was most familiar with, too. And I know my hubby and I have talked about "fur" around the birds before, too, even if not directly to them about it, so perhaps he understood the distinction after we explained it, besides. I don't know. Hope so! :)

I do tend to think that a lot of other mature, relatively talkative Greys probably say some pretty neat things, too, during the course of their day-to-day interactions with their respective human flocks; really, I'm sure they do. (Like Dayo, and I know JDS's Sully has thrown out a zinger or two that has been shared in the forums in the past.) I was thinking last night when I posted this latest of Marcus' comments that I feel like I'm sharing here so much, it's becoming a little "Marcus heavy"... which isn't bad in and of itself, I think all of these little incidents are, again, neat flashes of insight into how these wonderful Greys can think and feel--which is what was basically requested at the outset of this thread. But I do hope other people will start posting here more often, too! If I may respectfully say so (since this isn't my thread), I'd like to read more about everyone else's Greys and their intelligent comments, as well... Any lurkers out there who want to add to Dan's Grey cognition thread with your own lovely stories? Please, please? :)

I was thinking last night when I posted this latest of Marcus' comments that I feel like I'm sharing here so much, it's becoming a little "Marcus heavy"... which isn't bad in and of itself, I think all of these little incidents are, again, neat flashes of insight into how these wonderful Greys can think and feel--which is what was basically requested at the outset of this thread. But I do hope other people will start posting here more often, too! If I may respectfully say so (since this isn't my thread), I'd like to read more about everyone else's Greys and their intelligent comments, as well... Any lurkers out there who want to add to Dan's Grey cognition thread with your own lovely stories? Please, please? :)

I for one, can never get enough of any Cognitive comments or behaviors Marcus comes out with! Don't ever stop posting EVERY ONE!!! :)

I do hope others chime in with their stories as well, we know they all have some to share, that we can all enjoy and muse over.

I'll share another of Dayo this morning. He was in the family room with my wife and was still in his cage. I was in my office working, which I do 9-5 supporting software issues. When I came out for a break, my wife informed she almost rolled on the floor laughing from Dayo's behavior. He was playing with an empty medicine bottle and then threw it down to the bottom of the cage making a loud crashing sound as it hit. He then said " Damn it, I keeeeellll (kill elongated) you!!!"

Edited by danmcq

So, what about whistling? I imagine that it is a lot easier for the birds than formation/execution of words, since whistling is one of the first things they learn.

I was told by a well-meaning lady at the vet's office to never teach them to whistle, because they will never learn to talk. I have chalked this up to an old wives tale, and figure that the birds will learn whatever you spend more time teaching them. Am I correct? Or is she?

So, what about whistling? I imagine that it is a lot easier for the birds than formation/execution of words, since whistling is one of the first things they learn. I was told by a well-meaning lady at the vet's office to never teach them to whistle, because they will never learn to talk. I have chalked this up to an old wives tale, and figure that the birds will learn whatever you spend more time teaching them. Am I correct? Or is she?

Your right, just an old wives tale. I whistled tunes like mayberry rfd, Popeye the sailor etc. from the day Dayo came home at 16 weeks old. He has a full compliment of whistles and a present word vocabulary approaching 500. He makes up his own whistle tunes now and I always tell him "Good Whistle", when he gives us a long melody and he basks in the praise. :)

So WHISTLE ON!!!! :P

I just have to tell you how helpful this thread is. I read the whole thing & the one thought that really struck me was something I think you said about the parrot communicating & its owner not answering back. The fact that they communicated and without the proper feedback, they wonder if they really did it right?

My Maui whistles up a storm. I noticed her whistling little snippets from Andy Griffith & The Adams family. When I whistled back, you could almost sense the excitement in her voice! It was like she was thinking, "They finally understand me!"

Now, throughout the day, she whistles snippets & I answer back & she whistles more. It's like she was checking to see if she was doing it right & was delighted to find she was, so she is doing it more.

Make sense?

I just have to tell you how helpful this thread is. I read the whole thing & the one thought that really struck me was something I think you said about the parrot communicating & its owner not answering back. The fact that they communicated and without the proper feedback, they wonder if they really did it right? Make sense?

YES!!!! It is important that they understand their attempt at communication was received and understood. It reinforces them to endeavor at understanding and communicating as much as those sponges we call brains can absorb. It will start developing exponentially after a while and the will even start making up their own phrases with words they have learned. It is both hilarious at times and awe inspiring at times. :)

Actually, it sends chills down my spine considering just how deep their understanding goes, whether they ever speak a word or not...... THEY KNOW!!

Edited by danmcq

I for one, can never get enough of any Cognitive comments or behaviors Marcus comes out with! Don't ever stop posting EVERY ONE!!! :)

I do hope others chime in with their stories as well, we know they all have some to share, that we can all enjoy and muse over.

Dan, I am now thankfully reassured that I have not been wearing out my welcome here with my many Marcus stories. I will therefore post about them in this thread as he "produces" them, per your instructions. :D :D :D

And your Dayo really is quite a character... I always love reading about him, thanks for adding this new tidbit!! :)

Please keep posting what Marcus is doing, I am certainly enjoying his antics and I am sure everyone else is too. My Quinn has gotten to the whistle and sound stage and is imitating the sounds I am trying to teach him. He is picking them up fairly quickly and using them to announce my comings and goings. I can't wait for words which I suspect will be coming soon. He was hatched 3/13, he might be a little early even.

One more tale- Last night I was covering the birds for birdy bed time and Pookie could hear me talking to Smokey Joe telling him good night, then I hear from the other room "Bad bird, Bad Joe". I think that meant she wanted the attention so stepped her up and gave her some one on one time. After 10 minutes of me time she said "bedtime" so off she went to bed.

Every morning I walk my dogs and Rosa, my almost 3y.o., rides on my shoulder. She can't wait and starts up with, "ready to go?, Let's go, wanna go?" And when I meet people on the street, they always want to stop and look at her and talk about their bird, or something birdy. Rosa interrupts with "whisper," and if I say no then she'll reply, "well then, let's go!"

My girl Ravena knows when you're about to sneeze and will sometimes beat you to it, making a sneeze sound right before or simultaneously with the actual sneeze. She coughs when you cough. Whenever anyone puts on their shoes, or a jacket, or picks up a purse, she promptly says, "Buh-bye!" She says the same thing when I put her to bed, so it seems to be both "see you later" and "good night." She says "four" whenever anyone says a number (sometimes "five" and "six"), and "Hello?" in three different voices in different contexts, usually when someone's phone rings. And whenever my mom's dog is acting up, she says, "DOWN! DOWN! Good boy!" Most of this stuff she learned from her past home, I'm pretty sure, but she knows when they're relevant! It's fascinating! Of course, there are lots of times that she says these things out of context like when she's chattering away to herself, but these phrases in particular she seems to be able to connect to appropriate situations regularly. So cool!

Your ABSOLUTELY right!!! Ravena is watching so closely & recognizes what your about to do!!! It is truely amazing!!! My hubby & I both marvel at how Roscoe KNOWS, not once in a while, but every time !!!

The sneeze... in the morning when sinuses are clearing--each of us on the laptops ( like right this moment) one of us sneezes. Roscoe even gets the head swing, the quick motion downward w/ the sneeze!! He likes to say "Whoo !!" after, so now we say whoooo after we sneeze.

Roscoe knows the difference bwt. me leaving or just going outside. Probably because I don't have my purse & i'm not dressed up ??#!! Accordingly, he will say "Bye, see you later" or " Bye, going outside?"

Our home is open concept so he sees us everywhere except the bedroom. Going into the kitchen, reach for the faucet, he says "Water", Turn to the microwave & he starts beeping before u touch it !! Go to the frig & he says, Oh Boy, time to eat !!

Also, has a built-in bio clock.... Tells us starting 9:00 pm to "go to bed", however, when my husband takes his glasses off anytime thru-out the day to go lay down for a nap, Roscoe says go to bed, we both just look at each other like, how does he know !!

Those are just a few of the connections he understands ... It is amazing !!

Your ABSOLUTELY right!!! Ravena is watching so closely & recognizes what your about to do!!! It is truely amazing!!! My hubby & I both marvel at how Roscoe KNOWS, not once in a while, but every time !!!

The sneeze... in the morning when sinuses are clearing--each of us on the laptops ( like right this moment) one of us sneezes. Roscoe even gets the head swing, the quick motion downward w/ the sneeze!! He likes to say "Whoo !!" after, so now we say whoooo after we sneeze.

Roscoe knows the difference bwt. me leaving or just going outside. Probably because I don't have my purse & i'm not dressed up ??#!! Accordingly, he will say "Bye, see you later" or " Bye, going outside?"

I love that! "Whoo!" Marcus says that sometimes too, like a punctuation mark, but I'll have to pay attention and notice if he says that after a sneeze. From what I've read in the forums, it seems sometimes that a lot of these Greys have similar mannerisms/reactions to different things, despite being in completely different homes and situations. Very cool! Makes me wonder what a true Grey 'flock dynamic' might be like, in that such attitudes are translated (transliterated? maybe I'm way off!) into their interactions with humans, instead.

Too, I like how Roscoe can tell the difference in if you're really leaving, or just going outside. Keen boy! Half the time when I get dressed in the birds' room where my closet is, Marcus will say, "Okay, time to go!" even if I'm just getting on something more comfortable to clean the house in. So I'll tell him at those times that I'm not going out, I'm just getting dressed. He does occasionally say "Go to work?" so I don't know if in his mind they are two different situations or not. My husband says he says that to him all the time in the mornings while he's getting ready to leave, so maybe when it comes to me (because my schedule is less of a 'schedule'), Marcus just finds me a bit more confusing. :P

And everyone else: Awesome stuff! I love reading about these wonderful, intelligent Greys! Thanks for sharing all of your stories! And I have to say, Rosa in particular made me giggle with her commanding attitude with strangers, dejavu--can the other people hear her when she tells you to go??

Yes, Karen, I love, love that "Whoo"! -- too. Maybe, it is just a grey thing but Roscoe applies it as a reaction to alot of things he likes or gets excited about. It's so cute. Also, I think your right on about you dressing & Marcus might be confused because it's sporatic & not on a regular schedule.

Roscoe also makes a certain squeek sound, mimicing the noise the foyer door closet makes when he sees hubby going to that area... Also, when our tiel "exercises" her wings in her cage, Roscoe takes it upon himself to be the alpha one to say, "Hey, Stop that!". I have heard my hubby say that once or twice if he was on the couch eating. Roscoe now instructs her everytime she flutters !!

Also, I think your right on about you dressing & Marcus might be confused because it's sporatic & not on a regular schedule.

I agree with you about the sporadic schedule, with Ravena she usually just freaks out to some degree when I'm getting dressed because it either means I'm going to school/leaving the house or I'm going to take her out into the living room. But I have such a scattered schedule she never knows which one, so she always flaps her wings and squeaks and says, "Ready to gooooooo!"

From what I've read in the forums, it seems sometimes that a lot of these Greys have similar mannerisms/reactions to different things, despite being in completely different homes and situations. Very cool! Makes me wonder what a true Grey 'flock dynamic' might be like, in that such attitudes are translated (transliterated? maybe I'm way off!) into their interactions with humans, instead.

I'm sorry to post two times in a row but I just remembered something I had to say in response to this comment! When I got Ravena a year ago, she said "I love you" in a deep man's voice, and she said "Hi pretty bird" in this annoying older woman's nasally voice. Of course, I can't help myself but repeat what she says because she's so cute. And now, about a year later, she says "I love you" in the same context but in MY voice, she says "Hi pretty bird" in my voice, and now she says "Hello?" and "Hello!" in my voice and my friends' voices. Fascinating, huh?? She hasn't actually picked up a whole lot of new words/sounds in my home but she has changed the WAY in which she says her old vocabulary!! Has anyone else with a rehome noticed this?

my peach front athena knew my work clothes and let me know she knew!!! i'd uncover her in the mornings before heading to work (over 8 years, i'd had various jobs, all with uniforms) and she'd go biting crazy. she'd lunge at the bars at the front of her cage, if she didn't do that, she'd wait until i'd try to give her a little scratch then bite the snot out of my finger. once i was home and out of my work clothes, she'd be her loving self! but on weekends, in my pjs and doing the same morning routine, she'd be just as nice and friendly as can be and even allow those little scratches!

i only worked about a month or so after we got kallie. she was still settling in and didn't seem to care much one way or the other. but she'd also been through the death of her owner, the family coming and going every day, along with different folks coming to see the birds, at infrequent intervals to become familiar with them before any rehoming (the last 2, kallie and a cockatoo had never been only birds, so we waited until there was a home for the other bird and both went to their new homes the same day/different times)

it's neat and fascinating that they know the things they do sometimes! it took me a while to figure out it was my clothes making athena so angry. i had thought that maybe she just wasn't a "morning bird"!

I love following this thread. Gilbert's newest thing has been to tell me to get up in the morning. He goes through lots of different variations of calling the dogs and asking them if they want to go outside and other things that I usually do first thing in the morning. Once he learned "Get Up", he has been demanding that sometimes starting when my husband leaves for work around five. Sunday I made the wrong move hooking up the utility trailer. I "forgot" the motorcycle was loaded already and just reached down to move it two inches to line up with the ball and have had to lie about on a heating pad for a couple of days. Gilbert can't understand why I am lying about in the middle of the day and has been chiding me to "wake up", "get up", "stop thaaaaat", "WHAT are you doing?". Hahaha. He is a little taskmaster. We also acquired a very small injured kitten and whenever he sees her he calls out "pretty girl" which is something he had reserved only for me and Java. He calls the dogs and himself "good boy" or "c'mere bud" but seems to get the pronouns right.