NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New here and need advice on rehoming grey

Hi, first post here:)

Just need some advice on taking in a 3 year old male african grey, ive spoken to the lady who has him and she says that he used to be tame and come out of his cage but he hasnt been out of his cage for a long time now and hes no longer tame, she said if you put your fingers through the bars he will grab you and that its when you try and pull away it hurts. Im just wondering if i took this bird will it be able to be tamed again with a lot of work? Are some birds never tamed and resigned to a life inside its cage? Or is it just a trust issue? The lady admits she hasnt spent enough time with him and that he hasnt been out of his cage for ages. I just need to know if there is hope that this bird can be tamed again. She says he talks really well so he must be happy in his cage- not sure i agree with that. Ive not met him yet but she hasnt mentioned him feather plucking or anything like that. Can a bird be happy in his cage? Would he def be plucking if he was unhappy? Lots of questions sorry!!!

Hello sunshine grey and welcome to the forum.

First of all you really need to see this bird for yourself to ensure he looks healthy, you will be able to tell if he is a plucker. A 3 year old grey is a very young bird and not yet an adult and although he sounds like he has been well cared for sadly he has been somewhat neglected. In answer to your question, yes he can be tamed once again but it will be a slow process as you will have to learn to trust one another - don't expect quick results, perseverance is the key here. If he is cage bound he is probaly territorial which explains the "latching on".

If you decide to go ahead and take on this lil guy give him time to adjust to you and his new surroundings until he seems happy and then try leaving his door open, if after doing this for a while he still seems reluctant then try placing treats just outside the cage until gradually he can resist no more but I can't stress enough that none of these things should be rushed. There will be plenty of people on here to advise you on training if you post in the training room with your questions - there may already be answers there on the topics you need advice on.

Good luck and may your decision be the right one.

Welcome sunshine!

Julie gave you great advice.

Go see the grey first and get more information from the owner about what may have lead to that grey preferring the cage over being free to roam about and interact with her. It's always good if you know what baggage they are coming with and why.

As Julie said, the grey is cage bound presently and it is HIS space and does not welcome fingers pocking in at him and invading his space.

I am looking forward to hearing how the visit went and more information you may have on him. :)

Hi Sunshine, Welcome to our Family! Julie & Dan have obviously given great advice and I would like to share my version of "rescue". I had a cockatiel which I "rescued" when he was 1½ - already cage bound, already not tamed. I had him for 17½ years and during this time the only "proper" hand contact I had with him was in his last days when he was very poorly. He never tamed, but did come out of his cage - but it was a battle getting him back in and unfortunately used to normally end in me "towelling" him to get him back in. To be honest, Spiky was happy in his cage - and in the last few years if I opened his door, he wouldn't come out :(

You have to decide what you really want in a grey - do you want that "talkie, cutie" that you've seen on YouTube, or do you want to give a loving home to a bird in need of a new home?

You ask as many questions as you like - it's best to ask than to guess! Looking forward to hearing how things went - best of luck xx

Each bird is unique and each new home provides a different challenge for them. From what you have told us he has lacked interaction with his humans and you should be able to overcome that with gradual little steps. Fiirst congratulations for considering bringing this guy into your home. I volunteer at a sanctuary and we see birds coming form many different situations and backgrounds so believe me when I tell you these guys are more adaptable than we often give them credit for. We took in a completely freaked out Timneh that was a wild caught individual who came to us due to his panic when approached by humans, now a year later he request head scratches and no longer fears us. Allowing him the choice of being out or in is a wonderful thing to offer him though it may take days or weeks to see him emerge from his safety zone (his cage). This is his domain and should be respected. I suggest spending time talking softly, singing, reading book or playing music if you have an instrument. Try to avoid eye contact and move slowly, offer a little treat even if you just leave it in the cage bars, just no pressure to be handled. We are all here to help if you take him on and yes there are Greys that spend their entire lives caged and see happy. Let us know what you decide either way.

Edited by Greywings

Every one here has spoken the complete truth! I have a 3yr old rescue Grey, his name is Joey, if you would like to read about our experiences, there under Spock or Jayd posts and threads. [with Joeys name in them..] My 2 cents, it takes time and patience, but there's no greater reward. You can get no better advice than what the others have given you...Jayd

Hello Sunshinegrey and welcome to our family, the others have given you some sound advice, please do go visit with this bird and see for yourself but realize it will be no small task but it will be time well spent.

He is just 3 years old so not too set in his ways but he is used to spending all his time in his cage and it will take lots of patience if you do take him in, he does need some time out but take it slowly and do not force him to do anything he doesn't want to. You will need to earn his trust if you are going to give him a home but he could just be waiting for someone to spend more time with him, you can't just keep a grey caged all the time, they need time out to play and be with their family or flock as we call it.

Do go visit and see what happens and let us know what you decide to do but remember we are here if you need advice and especially if and when you bring him home.

I rehomed an 8 year old Grey who had been cage bound for years! My little fella is now full of confidence, loves his life, and has become a big part of my family!

As long as you have time, love and patience and dont expect too much too soon I think you will be so rewarded by bringing this little guy home.

Each bird is different and you will learn to go at your Grey's pace, he will let you know each time he is ready to move on a step.

Good luck xxx

Sorry i havent updated sooner....we went and saw him yest and we took him!! Hes lovely, i obviously havent tried touching him or anything like that yet but he is ok with me standing and talking to him and he is whistling and making some noises and mostly muttering. I think hes lovely!!

Well congrats on bringing him home and please do take your time with him, let him settle in and feel comfortable in his new home, he will let you know when he is ready for more interaction so just don't force anything. It does sound promising already as he is whistling and making some noises and that is a good sign.

If we could trouble you for some pictures please and what is his name?

Congratulations on bringing the little guy home. Does he have a name yet? As Judy says he will guide you as to when he is ready to take those tiny steps forward but your patence will be rewarded with a happy well-adjusted parrot and he will repay you with many laughs and smiles. Let the fun commence!

We have a shy boy and he loves the security of his cage. He has only been in our home for two months and although he will step up from inside or from the top of his cage, he makes it clear he wants to go back if you step away from his comfort zone. He is in a much smaller cage than we have ready for him, but since he has had some traumatic medical issues including surgery, if he is happy and feels safe in his small cage, we will continue to interact and allow him to decide when it is time to move up. We have a tall branch play stand next to his cage and he could come out any time he likes so we are letting him choose his own terms of interaction. I would love to know more about your little fellow when you have time to take your eyes off him. Isn't it wonderful to have him home?