NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

He seems to be going thru an aggressive stage

skmunson

Omg. Over the last couple of days, he has been out of control. We will be doing our normal routine and he just lunges and bites my hand. He attacks his toys with anger it seems like. If I am scratching his head he will suddenly turn and bite my hand very hard.

He will fly from his perch and chase my hands around in an effort to bite. He's always been a bit of a biter but this is really out of the ordinary.

When I have to put him back in his cage, he wants to make it an all out a war with his wings spread and sqwaking at me, attacking my hands.

I don't know what to think. He is just one year old. Is it an age thing?

He is just not his normal loving self.

He has recently started talking up a storm, is it related to development?

When he acts this way do I send him away from me or re-cage him? That turns into a battle.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you

It is age and he is letting you know he has a mind of his own in the only way he can. He will bite because thats all he has that works if you are not paying careful attention to his body language and eye's pinning.

You must learn and do 2 things and consistently.

1. Respect and acknowledge his body language.

a. If you don't need him to move and just want to pick him up, respect his body language and back off. 1 point for reading body in his mind. Now your both communicating.

b. If a step-up is not optional, ball your fist up and go in with the back of your hand, biting will be frivolous then and you just push under the belly and force the step-up. 2 points now. He knows when it's optional and when it's not by your different hand language. If he bites you hard, a firm NO and place in cage for a short time out. He will learn quickly.

2. Be consistent ALWAYS with your verbal command and your body/hand language.

a. This is something he will learn to understand and respect...most the time....it gets harder sometimes as they go older.

b. make it a positive interaction with a happy "Good Boyeeee", big smile (They read your facial expressions) and perhaps even a favorite treat to put icing on the cake. After a while, just the "Good Boy" will be a reward and positive ending for him.

These are basic methods and as you learn you Greys personality even better as he matures, you may find less aggressive and more positive to get him to do what you wish. example, it took me a while to learn to relax when I knew a fight would occur. If I went in with a smile, a few "Your such a good boy" in a soft and high voice" he would be more relaxed and comply more often than with the HITLER Demand and a totally negative experience.

Welcome to my former world! I had EXACTLY the same problem a couple of months ago (if that) and I was tearing out my hair in frustration about the absolute change to Harvey - something I'd never suffered before. I couldn't pick him up to put him in his cage, I couldn't go near him - and this went on for weeks. It got to the point where I was going out of the house that I had to plan at least 20 minutes beforehand to tackle Harvey and get him in his cage. I suffered numerous real bites, and he was extremely vicious. I ended up just leaving him on his own, and then going back to try again.

Then a light switch was flicked - and he's back to the absolute cuddle muffin he always was! I just had to respect the fact he didn't want me near - and somehow he just suddenly back down! Good luck - it's tiresome and frustrating - but following Dan's advice will help immensely. :)

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your advice. I have been trying to woo him rather than order him around and that does work until it's cage time. He clearly does respond to sweet talk but when his mind is set on something--biting something or not wanting to go to cage, he still goes into fighting stance. I will be patient and keep trying.

He has been to the vet for his routine check up and blood work and all was fine.

Hopefully, like your baby, Jill, he will move past this phase.

Thanks again for all of your insights. It means a lot.

skmunson, my parrot is almost a year old and I'm really noticing a change in his attitude as well. I've taken a few bites lately as well and have noticed more aggression lately too. I hope it's a phase too, it's hard to go in with a braced state-of-being preparing for a big chomp on the hands! I've really backed off, and am trying to respect his independence.