NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Murphy wants to be a dentist when he grows up

reggieroo

Murphy has been showing lots of loving behaviour towards me today & has hopped on my shoulder a few times. As a rule I've not been letting him on shoulders, we decided against it. But I couldn't resist & gave in this evening just before I put him to bed.

So Murphy is sat on my shoulder & started to inspect my face, eyes, nose, lips...............& when he found the lips he wanted in. "I want those teeth Dad" the little monkey grabbed my teeth & started trying to clean them. Now I know you shouldn't let them in your mouth etc but you try keeping Murphy out! You know the old saying "my lips are sealed" ? Well Murphy wasn't listening & he kept trying to pry my lips open, it was so cute.

He finally gave up when he realised he wasn't getting in, then decided to find something else to do. "I'll preen Dads hair for a while" then proceeded to clean my ear........lol

I'm sorry, it's just scary, we have E-coli, salmonella and other killer germs in our mouth that they have no defenses against... To be safe, no lips, no eating after us with same utensils etc....Maggie, Spock and Jayd... It's cute till they die....

Jay is right on the money about our mouths, we have too much bacteria that could kill them so from now on please do not allow him to get inside your mouth, if he continues to want to "preen" some part of your face then you might be better off adhering to the no shoulder policy, some are just too inquisitive of the face.

As a rule I've not been letting him on shoulders, we decided against it.

He finally gave up when he realised he wasn't getting in, then decided to find something else to do.

I didn't let him in my mouth after the first time he attempted it, just thought I'd share the fact that it was cute that he tried the once!

The mouth is an instinctive target for up close and personal interaction between birds.

It is normal for them to try and target:explore that area. As you said reggieroo, it is cute the first time and most of us all had to keep them back. They quickly learn we don't like "Beaking" with parrots and stop quickly when they learn that lesson at such a young age.

You did state in you post you "Knew" it was not to be allowed and why. That shows you had done your homework, which is wish more parrot owners would do before they bring a parrot home. :)

Yeah it is a good thing you knew the dangers already ;) So yeah that is very sweet of him to want to be affectionate in that way with you. Calypso has tried to do this to me too, She has tried SO hard to pry my mouth open and finally I just have to put her back on her cage cuz she is relentlessly trying to get into my mouth Lol Crazy Greys! Thanks for sharing your cute story!

You did state in you post you "Knew" it was not to be allowed and why. That shows you had done your homework, which is wish more parrot owners would do before they bring a parrot home. :)

Yea, so glad you did your home work!!!!! Maggie, Jayd and Spock.....

Harvey tries this all the time! It must be my glowing smile that keeps attracting him!!! I wonder what it is about mouths - I clearly only have a very small, delicate mouth and therefore I'm not sure of the attraction!!! :) :)

I just blow on him - sharp stops this action!!!

• Haha 1

I can't let Issac on my shoulder anymore when I floss my teeth, he wants to help so badly that he pants and paces back and forth on my back at the anticipation of helping daddy get his teeth clean...which is very cute. But I have had to go in a nother room and floss as a result...lol. They love to help, so sweet.

IMG_1312.jpg

Harvey tries this all the time! It must be my glowing smile that keeps attracting him!!! I wonder what it is about mouths - I clearly only have a very small, delicate mouth and therefore I'm not sure of the attraction!!! :) :)

I just blow on him - sharp stops this action!!!

Ha Ha ha, Jill, it's ok to blow on something's, blow=mouth=germs=germs travel= bird? Maggie

Oooh! Didn't think about that one!!! It is "less the saliva, no spit" - just nice clean breath! Is there anything we are allowed to do!!! 028.gif

:P So far, I can't find anything that is safe to do!!!Bummer..Jayd has a cold, so he wears a face mask around the fids, tried to kiss me!!!LOL. :DMaggie