NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oh no! I fed a piece of RAW potato!!!!

carriekinz

I didn't think to check here first!!!!! :( It was maybe the size of my thumb from the top joint to tip. What should I do? What symptoms should I watch for? Was this enough to harm him? Oh my goodness, I feel so damn stupid! (I meant to type up a list of food that isn't allowed a week ago and was just being lazy.)

Having a bird in your life does give you new challenges and new fields of study to encompass that you may have never considered before. Safety issues like bird proofing your home, what is safe to eat and safe to play with. I think you are all good on this one and learned a one more thing to avoid in order to keep that Grey safe. Good work and it seems good fortune, so glad it has all turned out well.

Your bird would have already shown obvious and possible adverse effects from that piece of potato if there was a problem. The first thing your bird would have done is spit it up. Most of the areas that talk about potatoes being toxic are referring to the plants that are connected to the potato so there's nothing to worry about although if you feel that a vet call or visit will ease your mind, then go for it. Personally, I feel the possible danger has passed.

Edited by Dave007