NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chicks Out of the Nest Box

Spinner

Removed three chicks out of the nest box today. I felt rather bad taking Camilla's chicks out on Mother's Day, but it was the scheduled day. I ended up with some vicious bites from Camilla in return for the pleasure of handling the new clutch.

The chicks are 20, 21, and 23 days old, with weights of 190g, 228g, and 234g, respectively. I am concerned about the young one's weight, so I'll have to be extra diligent during feedings. Other than the weight issue, all three are healthy and typically adventuresome.

The clutch can be followed on the nursery cam.

• Haha 2

Thanks Dave. It surely is a joy to watch the babies on the Camillacam, but I can't help but feel for her also, when you take her babies away - on Mothers Day too!!! I know she probably gets over it fairly quickly, but the vicious biting has to indicate that the initial seperation is quite stressful on her, is it? I'm afraid I tend to humanize things - I realise animals don't always feel the same way we do - I'm just a total sap when it comes to babies leaving their Mummies!!!!

Anyway - appreciate the webcam and all the updates - just interested to know the ins and outs!

Animals are amazing but truly nothing like people. They are instinctively protective of their babies without malice, evil or vengefulness. Literally minutes after removing the chicks, Camilla was taking treats by hand (the same one that removed the chicks).

I have to continually remind myself that these creatures are not human and anthropomorphizing them hides just how special they really are.

That said, Camilla's behaviour still reminds me of a past girlfriend... :D

Hum, I went back over data I've kept for past clutches to look at weight averages. Interestingly, all three chicks of this clutch weigh more than any chick for the same age before. So, the 190g that concerned me is ~12% more than the heaviest chick from prior clutches.

Compared to its clutch siblings, Chickie Eight is a runt. Compared to our other clutches, its a big boy/girl.

Animals are amazing but truly nothing like people. They are instinctively protective of their babies without malice, evil or vengefulness. Literally minutes after removing the chicks, Camilla was taking treats by hand (the same one that removed the chicks).

I have to continually remind myself that these creatures are not human and anthropomorphizing them hides just how special they really are.

That said, Camilla's behaviour still reminds me of a past girlfriend... :D

Lol - so glad Camilla doesn't bear a grudge - sorry for asking, that side of greys is unknown to me.

Haha - you must have had your work cut out with that girlfriend!!

Everything happens when I'm asleep!! Thanks again for sharing such a fantastic event with us - I love each and every one of them!! I will be sneaking into the nursery cam all throughout the day ~ I love watching them grow! Thank you so much Dave xx