NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red feathers.....

OrlandoGreyGuy

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting here. I have a nine month old CAG named Winston, who is a handful to say the least. I adore him. My question is... Does it take a while for their red tail feathers to come in full. He doesnt pluck them but thye look very messy and a few have fallen out. Is this perhaps just a young Grey thing? He has a balanced diet and takes a bath at least once a week but hates it. Any advice or info would be very much appreciated!

Russ

Hello Russ and yes it may be after the first molt before the bright red tail feathers come in full and it is a little too soon for them to be molting out, be patient for they will be red in due time.

Is your grey an aggressive player, what I mean by that is some greys play vigorously and damage their tail feathers on the sides of the cage and such and it makes them look ragged? I wouldn't worry about it at this point but if you could post a picture then we could see for ourselves.

Judy rule's, Welcome, our Spock is a wild one, [ask anyone] he's 15 months old and his permanent red bum is coming in. Early bum's are a dirty red/pink, don't worry.... Photo's please Jayd

Hi Russ - Harvey is 17 months old and I thought he had his "proper red bum" (if this is the scientific term!!!) - but the feathers that are coming in over the top now are far more intensely red than the ones he already has. He's going through a pretty aggressive moult at the moment - I've noticed that nearly all of the feathers at the top of his wings (the shoulder like area) have been either "preened" out or have fallen out - he's very downy there at the moment, but there are tons of pins coming through. His wings look at the moment like a badly stuffed cushion. :)

Today the birdies all got spray baths with Aloe Vera juice. I have to say that they were very cooperative and even enjoyed it a bit. In fact each preened after for about a half hour or so and are looking better than ever. I had read that you can cut the aloe vera with water but that it would be okay to use it full strength. I did 3 parts AV to 1 part h2o. I think it worked great and all four birds are soft and looking good. I even sprayed Winstons bumm down pretty good and he didn't mind. No grumbling or yelling at all. He even lifted his wings for me. I was very surprised. Maybe my baby boy is growing up. I'm not holding my breath on that one..... Lol.

Thanks for all the input folks! I really appreciate it!

Ah, what great pictures of Winston's backside! I'm sure his face is just as pretty (lol - I have seen your other pictures - he is gorgeous!). You can see his new feathers coming through at the top are redder again - you'll be able to guide ships in with the brightness of that!! :)