NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Murphy's high pitched shrieking-some advise please

reggieroo

For a while now Murphy has started Shrieking which is now getting louder & more high pitched.

It happens most when I go out of sight & away from his cage or stand but not limited to that, sometimes I'll just be sitting in the living room with him on his stand & he starts with the high pitched Shrieking. Also sometimes when in his cage he can clearly see me but he just climbs round his cage shrieking.

I thought at first it must be contact calls so I tried calling back with a soft whistle or softer nice noise in the hope that he learns to do that instead but he just got louder & more frequent with it. I contacted my breeder for advise & was told it was for attention & to ignore it & only respond when he makes acceptable noises, that hasn't worked either.

It is now becoming a real problem for me & my daughter as the noise is hurting her ears, it hurts mine sometimes if I'm close, so for 6 month old it must be awful. If he is in the same room as her & he starts it makes her cry. I have had to put the sheet over him the last few days for a short time just so I can get my Daughter to sleep as she has three naps a day but not with the shrieking going on, can't get her off.

He's been getting lots of out of cage time since we got him, lots of toys, different foods & plenty of attention. The only time he doesn't do it is if I'm sat by his cage or he's eating. I actually beginning to dread getting up to make a cup of tea, go the toilet, change nappies, feed my daughter etc for fear of the shrieking starting which it always does. This is bad but I'm looking forward to his bed time for some peace from it, & I'm not enjoying my time with him at the moment.

My biggest worry is that he will be a problem screamer, I had an Amazon for 10 years which are known for screaming & Murphy is worse already at 20 weeks old. Is this just a baby phase & something that he will grow out of?

I need some help to nip this in the bud asap before it gets any worse & harder to stop.

I've read so many things I'm not sure the right course of action, I don't even know what it is, screaming, contact calls or what?

Edited by reggieroo

OK, triage first. Are there things that Murphy likes to do that he can't do if he is shrieking? For example, Dorian loves ripping paper to shreds, he simply can't resist it, so if he's 'stuck' on an obnoxious sound I can often snap him out of it by offering him some choice object to destroy. He also tends to clam up if the tv is on. Pictures on = bird off:) Also, he can't shriek if he's eating:) Think about Murphy and if there are some similar strategies you can use to at least quiet him short-term when the baby's delicate ears are near. When you have to have Ella Rose in the same room with Murphy employ any strategy you can come up with that will keep his beak busy, as her ears must be protected at all costs.

Ear plugs are a blessing. Get the little foam ones that roll up and go right in your ear. (If Murphy gets frightened by new things, try to find neutral coloured ones that won't show up too much when he sees them). You can still hear everything, but they take the nerve shattering edge off. Maybe an MP3 player with some soothing music, or comedy that makes you laugh, that you can focus on instead of his noise. That will do wonders for your stress level.

Next, you have to try to figure out why he's doing this. He's had alot of changes lately. Not only is he still a baby and fairly new to your family, but you've brought your baby girl into the home, your wife has gone back to work, you're a little stressed being left to hold down the home front on your own . . . Birds will pick up on your stress level and are very sensitive to change. Are you his 'favourite' or is your wife? If it's your wife, Murphy could be missing her while she's at work. If it's you, he could be jealous of the attention you focus on the baby. Now add to that the fact that your stress level if going up when you deal with Murphy. It's understandable. No one likes to live with that kind of noise, but if it's causing you to tense up when you approach him, he reads that stress and ramps up his own response, which is the shrieking, which in turn ramps your stress up . . . Get the idea? So, as hard as it is, you have to stay calm and positive when you are around him. An animal behaviourist told me something when I was having trouble with Dorian, and I thought it was waaaay New Agey spaced out at the time, but I was desperate and tried it and darned if it didn't work. She told me, when I interacted with Dorian to approach him with the attitude that he was already behaving like the bird I wanted him to be. By changing my emotional state when I approached him, my body language, even my tone of voice, changed and calmed, and he in turn responded more calmly to me.

Next, remember that birds are flock animals and you are their flock. What they want most is to be with you, getting your attention. I dont know what size home you have or what room Murphys cage is in, but you must ignore the shrieking with 100% consistency, and so must every other member of his flock. If you can't always leave the room when he begins, you have to keep your back turned to him and make no response to the sound, not even body language, like tensing up your shoulders. They are very adept at reading us. If you were to turn to him and say "no Murphy" after he's been at it for ten minutes, what you have just taught him is that he has to scream for 10 minutes to get your attention. Not the direction you want to go! When he gets quiet, respond immediately with attention, Happy Voice, a treat (if you can get it to him fast enough before he begins again).

If you are having a positive interaction with him and he starts, just give him a quiet "No, Murphy", or whatever phrase you want, and turn your back on him. WARNING, the behaviour may get worse before it gets better. First he'll probably try getting louder, or screaming longer, to see if that gets your attention. WHEN that doesn't work, he'll begin to notice that he only gets your attention, a treat, or let out of the cage, when he's quiet.

Some members with similar problems have tried using a 'time-out' cage in another, quiet, room. I can't offer you much advice on that front because Dorian was totally cage-bound at the time I had this problem, but maybe someone else can expand on that. I know you love Murphy and I promise you that with a little work, love, and consistency, you will be able to extinguish this behaviour. Don't give up, and when you need to, you can always come here to vent and look for advice. You and Murphy can do this. You are, after all, Super DAD!!!!!!!

Edited by Acappella
  • Haha 2

Sorry you're having this problem Paul - I understand the urgencey to fix it with a young 'un around. Acappella has made some excellent points. Lot's of changes etc.

I'm not sure if the screaming is a contact call - does he not already have an established contact call that you recognise?

The only thing I would suggest is to be absolutely sure that the screaming isn't being caused by some underlying problem, something physical I mean. Alfie started to scream around 5 -6 months and she turned out to have mites. Just be sure there's not something before you go giving time outs for the screaming - I'm sure you won't though. Let us know how you come on.

Hi Acappella, first off thanks for talking the time to write such a extensive & useful post.

At the moment Murphy hasn't really got anything that he really likes doing, he has not long started playing with his toys & now he's beating them up with ferocity.

The problem screaming is definitely linked to me leaving a position by his cage or leaving a room that he is in. We live in a small bungalow but with a large hallway & his cage is placed right outside my study door (where I spend most of my time working throughout the day) opposite my PC desk so he has full view & access to me at all times as his door is normally always open. He sits & plays ,flys, mumbles & sequels while playing etc, all normal & fine behaviour. As long as I'm sat at my desk there is very rarely a scream/shriek out of him but the minute I get up to go make a cup of tea or whatever he goes off on one till I come back.

We also have a stand in our living room so he can always be with us. For instance I might sit down & have lunch in the living room & watch TV for an hour during the day, I take Murphy in with me even though he can still see me in his cage when I'm sat in the living room. I do this to include him in as much of my working day & when interacting with Ella-Rose as possible so he's not left out. So I'm in the living room having lunch Ella-Rose is on her play mat, I get up to go the toilet & Murphy starts the screaming then Ella-Rose erupts crying as well so I come back after 2 minutes to screaming baby & a screaming parrot :( He has toys on his stand & will be happily be playing with them until I get up to leave the room, he immediately stops what he is doing & looks at me as if to say where you going. The second I leave the room he erupts like a volcano.

As for who is favorite is I don't really know to be honest, if you look in nursery you will see some posts about his strange behaviour towards both of us, one in a video. According to some members on here Murphy loves both of us. But I can tell you the shrieking is worse for me than Kate, If I'm out in the gym for any length on time, I ask Kate how he's been & she says " he was ok till you walked in" But then Kate is the only person he goes after, always trying to fly to her & land on her head but rarely to me. I'm not experienced enough to understand who the favorite is but if Kate leaves the room he doesn't really shriek much.

My stress levels have been at an all time high this week as like you say Kate is back to work & I'm here looking after the family & the house. The thing is, it's Murphy who is causing me the stress, my daughter is an angel & no problem at all thank god! I had tried the Ipod solution while Kate was at home but now I'm on my own I have to keep an ear out for Ella-Rose so can't really use the headphones. I do Love Murphy & have wanted an African grey for over 10 years but these last couple of weeks have been so stressful with him I'm beginning to feel anxious & stressed.

I'm glad I can come here & vent!

Ok, a little update.

Yesterday we really tried to monitor it & do a few little tests. First of all it was cage clean day so I spent extra time playing with Murphy while cleaning out his cage, actually spent a few hours at it & also changed his toys around. All that time he was fine, happy & playing with me chattering etc. So I established that while he's getting 100% attention it doesn't happen which is to be expected really. Then when I'd finished I sat at my PC desk & asked Kate to go out of sight....no shrieking, we then swapped roles & did the same again......no shrieking. I then went in the shower & Kate went off & got Ella-Rose changed & dressed, sure enough the shrieking started but not too bad as he kept getting distracted by his toys & some new ones I'd put in. Bit of different day for Murphy as Kate was home, cage cleaning day etc so all in all not a bad day compared to the week I've just had with him.

This morning though is a different matter, it started much the same as every other morning the usual amount of attention given to Murphy etc. We were in the living room giving Ella-Rose her breakfast & Murphy was on his stand with us. While on his stand he was permanently trying to fly to Kate, she had already gave him a tickle & lots of fuss but seemed that wasn't enough for Murphy. So after about 20 attempts to get too Kate he started with the shrieking which then resulted to him gong back to his cage shortly after as Ella-Rose started crying. Since then he has not given up with the shrieking, every time he hears Kate's voice round the house it gets worse. He had about 10 minutes of quiet while eating so I let him out of the cage & the shrieking has started again & he just keeps taking off after Kate. All this time I've been sat here next to his cage & he is still doing it. So just when I thought it was maybe contact calls when out of sight after yesterdays tests I'm now not so sure :confused:

Edited by reggieroo

I have pasted the reply I posted in your training room thread on this same topic:

There is a difference between calling you when you leave the room or are in view, but they cannot get to you i.e locked in cage or non-flighted and need help to get down.

Contact calling is normal behavior for any bird. As they age, it will normally become less, but many times, not completely stop.

When you are in view and they just want out or want to come to you. Those are verbal expressions of that desire, not checking to track where you are by contact calls. These too will lessen as they mature and know you aren't going to respond immediately. It helps if you use a term like "Just a minute" or "Just wait ". That will over time indicate you acknowledge their request and you'll get to them. If there is no "Normal" time or phrase you establish that is linked to your words. The calls will just keep being repeated because they have no clue how long or if you will come and release them from the cage or get them off a perching area if not flighted.

Your Grey is still very young and it seems may be taking a real shine to Kate, much like my grey to my wife. If she leaves the room, he fidgets, paces, makes his endearing baby peeps, a couple of shrieks, then settles down saying to himself Mommies in the bedroom or bathroom or garage.... Then starts preening patiently unless he decides to come and get entertained by me.

This is not true in all birds, especially not true in other species like "Too's" that will call non-relenting until they get you where they want you.

I hope this gives you a few ideas on how to deal with this.

I will say, I return call to my Grey simply to acknowledge I hear him and I am still in the house. I do know, that he knows the difference. If I go outside, he does not contact call at all. He knows I am gone and sits in his favorite perching area until I come back in.

Edited by danmcq
  • Haha 1

I have been getting into the habit since having him to say" be back in a minute" if I'm going out of sight/leaving the room etc. Today we have been sitting in the living room in plain view of him & he has been constantly screaming, pausing only to start digging in the bottom of his cage.

Yes, he wants be "With" you guys, not in the cage.

If you want to keep him in the cage while you are present and in view. It will take time, but you are going to just have to ingnore him completely.

I understand there are times you just don't want him with you. But, is there any reason he can't be out with you? Just asking. :)

Ya, simba has his moment. Im working on the "be back in a minute" when im leaving the room for a couple minutes. Hasnt helped much yet but when im in the room and he starts shrieking nonstop i give him an empty toilet paper roll or a piece of cardboard to shred and it cures him of making any loud noises. Ive also been trying to ignore him when he shrieks or i put him in his cage and cover it but it doesnt seem to help at all as of yet. Im hoping over time I can train him.

Yes, he wants be "With" you guys, not in the cage.

If you want to keep him in the cage while you are present and in view. It will take time, but you are going to just have to ingnore him completely.

I understand there are times you just don't want him with you. But, is there any reason he can't be out with you? Just asking. :)

Well today Kate was breast feeding our daughter in the living room & Murphy kept flying off his stand to land on Kate, just missed Ella-Rose's head the once so he went back to his cage.

Shortly after, my parents came to visit for a couple of hours so Murphy came back out into the living room on his stand for about 4 hours. Even then he was being a nightmare with his flying but we persevered with him although my Mum wasn't impressed. He kept trying to land on my Mums head & she kept saying "can't you put him back?" Eventually he stopped & gave up after about half an hour of trying for her head. He seems to have a thing for the ladies :)

When they left I put him back in his cage while Kate fed Ella-Rose & he was back at the screaming & digging :( As you say sometimes it's not a good time for them to be out so I do want him to get used to times in his cage.

Well, there'e a reason two of the most frequently used words here are patience and consistency:) Sounds like you have a very strong willed little boy on your hands! Just keep telling yourself the time you put in now to establish good habits will make him a great companion for your life. It does sound like Mr. Murphy has decided that Kate is "his" human. Taking him off her 20 times is, unfortunately, nothing. You may have to do it 1000 times. So, now it's time to get creative. Try to make Kate an undesirable landing zone. Often greys are afraid of particular colours, so try to find one Murphy stays clear of. Maybe wearing a hoodie with the hood up will be enough to keep him away. If she hears his wings coming towards her, she can discourage landing by moving erratically. Maybe she'll have to wear something that will make her feel silly in the house, like Mickey Mouse ears, but as long as you promise her you won't take video and post it on YouTube, it's worth a try. Give him an alternate 'approved' landing zone, like a T stand or you arm. Then, when you have the time for a training session, let him land, then remove him and put him on his stand, saying something like "stay here Murphy" every time. Repeat ad nauseam until exhausted. If he stays on his perch for any length of time at all, then praise him and give him a treat. Make sure you're rewarding him for staying on his perch, not when you put him on his perch, or you end up rewarding him for trying to land on Kate.

You don't want to make his cage a place of punishment, or he's going to protest even more when he's in it. Do some searching around here on time-out cages. Also look around for info on teaching your grey to play. Mr. Bossy needs to learn to entertain himself sometimes:)

You're doing well, even though you're frustrated. You want to end up with a bird who you can have out when you have company. Bless you for being persistant even when your mom was over. It's hard for people who don't know much about birds in general and greys in particular to understand why we don't just cage them, but if you want to teach Murphy manners, caging him won't do the trick. Maybe you should just warn company that they may become part of parrot training sessions!

• Haha 1

Well, there'e a reason two of the most frequently used words here are patience and consistency:) Sounds like you have a very strong willed little boy on your hands! Just keep telling yourself the time you put in now to establish good habits will make him a great companion for your life. It does sound like Mr. Murphy has decided that Kate is "his" human. Taking him off her 20 times is, unfortunately, nothing. You may have to do it 1000 times. So, now it's time to get creative. Try to make Kate an undesirable landing zone. Often greys are afraid of particular colours, so try to find one Murphy stays clear of. Maybe wearing a hoodie with the hood up will be enough to keep him away. If she hears his wings coming towards her, she can discourage landing by moving erratically. Maybe she'll have to wear something that will make her feel silly in the house, like Mickey Mouse ears, but as long as you promise her you won't take video and post it on YouTube, it's worth a try. Give him an alternate 'approved' landing zone, like a T stand or you arm. Then, when you have the time for a training session, let him land, then remove him and put him on his stand, saying something like "stay here Murphy" every time. Repeat ad nauseam until exhausted. If he stays on his perch for any length of time at all, then praise him and give him a treat. Make sure you're rewarding him for staying on his perch, not when you put him on his perch, or you end up rewarding him for trying to land on Kate.

You don't want to make his cage a place of punishment, or he's going to protest even more when he's in it. Do some searching around here on time-out cages. Also look around for info on teaching your grey to play. Mr. Bossy needs to learn to entertain himself sometimes:)

You're doing well, even though you're frustrated. You want to end up with a bird who you can have out when you have company. Bless you for being persistant even when your mom was over. It's hard for people who don't know much about birds in general and greys in particular to understand why we don't just cage them, but if you want to teach Murphy manners, caging him won't do the trick. Maybe you should just warn company that they may become part of parrot training sessions!

Well this week is a new week so I started with a fresh head this morning & things have been a little better. Last week I was extremely stressed, even though I didn't actually think I was at the time but I most definitely was :(

The screaming/shrieking has improved a little. Over the weekend I had Kate here so we were able to keep each other sane while it was going on & we just ignored it. I don't want to count my chickens but there seems to be an improvement. It can be difficult to completely ignore at times as he has started to mix it up with acceptable noises that I have been teaching him. He seems to use the same shriek as a contact call & to scream at me even when in view so what I have been doing is while out of view in another room I ignore the scream but answer the acceptable noises with the same. What I have noticed is a few more acceptable noises & a few less obnoxious shrieks.

The flying issue is another thing we have been struggling with, I try not to think of it as a problem but more of a training issue. Yes I think Kate may well be his favorite as he always tries to land on her no matter what. She has tried the moving erratically & that works when she is stood or walking past his cage but more difficult when sitting with Ella-Rose on her lap. She has been using the "stay" command using her palm to deflect him, doesn't stop him trying though but 99% of the time he doesn't get a successful landing & just flys back to his stand.

I have had success in other areas of flight training like teaching him where he can & can't perch, he knows too. Earlier I was out of the room & I heard wings, I went to investigate & he was on top of the door (I don't allow tops of doors) I had only just came round the corner & he flew straight off the top of the door & back on his stand before I had chance to say "off there", I thought clever boy. He has got to know his flight paths round the house & his confidence is growing by the day when it comes to making a flight somewhere. Today he has flew in & out of the living room from his cage to his stand on a number of occasions to follow me & be with me :)

I agree with what you say about not using his cage as a place of punishment, I was thinking the exact thing last night that I don't want to return him to his cage when he is naughty as he will hate his cage more than he does now. Ever since we got him, he has never really liked his cage ( I don't even like it, that's why we will be getting him a new one soon). He's ok at night when sleeping but as soon as the sheet comes off him in the morning he just wants out of it, he just goes all round his cage looking to break out. He does play with his toys though & that's the only time he relaxes a little that & when eating.

Edited by reggieroo

You're on the right track, only answering the contact noise you like. That's just what I did with Dorian and I hardly ever hear the super-obnoxious noise I used to hear all the time. Kate is doing great using her hand to deflect him from landing. He'll learn soon enough that he's not going to be able to land. It would be great if you could show guests how to do it as well, so Murphy gets a consistent message from everyone. Don't be surprised, though, if you extinguish this behaviour and then a year from now, he pulls it out again. Like kids, they just want to see if the rules are still the same:)

Murphy is showing you how smart he is, focusing not on behaving, but on not getting caught mis-behaving. You're right to discourage him perching on the tops of doors, but since it's a high point and wide enough to sit on comfortably, they're understandably drawn to doors, so you might want to take an extra precaution like using door stops to keep doors open when he's out of his cage. I've heard of at least one bird losing talons when a door they were perched on closed (don't remember if it was someone here)

With the rest, I'm afraid you're dealing with EBE =Excess Baby Energy!!!!!! Dorian was 4 when I found him so I never had to deal with this particular problem. May the force be with you:)

Edited by Acappella

Hi there,

It's actually going quite well considering how much screaming he was doing. Still a lot of work though & he can be quite draining as well as having to look after my baby daughter at the same time. Murphy is way more demanding believe it or not, if someone would have said a baby parrot is more work than a 6 month old human baby I wouldn't have believed them......I would now.

He has now replaced 75% of the screaming with whistles that I have taught him but is still calling near constant when I go out of sight or to far away from him. Trying to keep him in his cage for any length of time is also difficult, he just calls constant & then starts digging & is not a happy birdie while in his cage.

As I'm at home 99% of the time he is always out from around 8am till 6pm at around 5.30pm Kate's home, gets our daughter bathed, fed & put to bed at 8pm, Murphy shortly after but in those few hours he won't settle in his cage. I train in the gym for around two hours & when I come in he seems so highly strung & desperate for attention & this is normally when most of the screaming is done.

Today was one of the few days he has spent a fair bit of time in his cage & he wasn't happy about it, I was busy outside working on my old Range Rover most of the day & my Daughter was at her Grans so Murphy had to learn to be independent. When I got him out after I came in he was like an explosion of energy :eek: What you called the EBE!

Oh & still flying on to Kate's head :rolleyes:

He'll get used to being in his cage for periods of time. Like others have said, tell him what's going on. Dorian knows the difference between me going for a couple of minutes, a couple of hours, or the whole day. If I'm just going upstairs I tell him 'going upstairs, be right back', going for a couple of hours is 'gotta go to the store, be back soon', working outside is 'I'm going outside now', and all day is 'I'll see you tonight, be a good boy'. One of his favourite phrases now is 'gotta get a glass of water, be right back' :)

Do you have a bell in Murphy's cage? Most greys seem to love bells, and when it's clear I'm leaving him for a few hours and Dorian's mad about it, he loves to take his aggresion out his bell. Get a heavy duty one. I think they're called indestruti-bells on some web sites. If you want me to post a picture of mine just ask. He may not be a happy birdie when he's in his cage, but he is a safe birdie. Keep providing him with toys, and show him how to play with them, until you find one he's happy to play with when he's in his cage. You're doing great extinguishing the screaming. He may always pull it out as a last resort when he's feeling really annoyed or neglected but you can get rid of 95% of it:)

Pepper has been doing a high-pitch sound lately too and it drives me nuts!!!!! I was doing a timed exam the other day for college and he wouldn't stop.

I kept saying "Stop, Stop Stop!!" lol I know that doesn't work but I like messing with him. 2 minutes later instead of that noise I hear "STOP!" Ha so Pepper picked up a new word! :)

Hey Brittany, I would say the advise I have received on this post is pretty spot on. I have managed to get Murphy to cut down the shrieking/screaming quite a bit & replaced some with a whistle. That's funny that Pepper now says "STOP!"

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update to the shrieking/screaming problem I had with Murphy, thought it would be good to let you know how it's going in case somebody looking for help & advise stumbles across this thread.

The screaming has reduced 99% to the odd one here & there, I continued to ignore him as best I could following some very good advise on this thread from people trying to help. It should be noted that the times when I couldn't ignore him & I would react to it, it made it worse again & had to start all over again.

It is very difficult at times to ignore this type of behavior especially if your having a rough day & are already stressed by something else, a screaming parrot is the last thing you need! But the only way to stop it, is to ignore it, try to stay calm & act as if it hasn't happend.

Hope this thread will help someone else one day. :)

You're doing great. I know it's hard when you're on your last nerve, and you hear that sound that just drives you nuts. Dorian has picked up a wild bird cry, but at CAG volume, so we're working on some sound extinguishing here as well. I find a deep deeeep breath (or two) is the best coping device I have. I really commend you for doing the work with your baby now that will make him a good companion for years. Too many times a situation like yours ends up in a re-home. Yes there are times when you wonder what you've gotten yourself into, but if you take that deep breath and remind yourself of some of the positives of having Murphy in your life you'll get through it. We're always here to let you vent, and offer our 2 cents worth.

Just a quick update to the shrieking/screaming problem I had with Murphy, thought it would be good to let you know how it's going in case somebody looking for help & advise stumbles across this thread.

The screaming has reduced 99% to the odd one here & there, I continued to ignore him as best I could following some very good advise on this thread from people trying to help. It should be noted that the times when I couldn't ignore him & I would react to it, it made it worse again & had to start all over again.

It is very difficult at times to ignore this type of behavior especially if your having a rough day & are already stressed by something else, a screaming parrot is the last thing you need! But the only way to stop it, is to ignore it, try to stay calm & act as if it hasn't happend.

Hope this thread will help someone else one day. :)

Right-on, best advice there is....