NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Disenchanted With Grey Forums

Journeyman

No hard feelings from me Journeyman, I can't speak for the whole gang on here, but they are pretty incredible people, so I think you will be ok. I'm really sorry, Cosmo sounds amazing, but I'm at a loss, admittedly, I'm usless at anything that involves tools, bolts, etc.... I don't know what else to suggest, but I'm glad that Paul is still trying to help you out. Is there any kind of non-toxic sealant that you could put on the screws that would dry and become immovable? I'm thinking of the clear nail polish trick that I use on the screws on my glasses that work their way out...

No hard feelings from me Journeyman, I can't speak for the whole gang on here, but they are pretty incredible people, so I think you will be ok. I'm really sorry, Cosmo sounds amazing, but I'm at a loss, admittedly, I'm usless at anything that involves tools, bolts, etc.... I don't know what else to suggest, but I'm glad that Paul is still trying to help you out. Is there any kind of non-toxic sealant that you could put on the screws that would dry and become immovable? I'm thinking of the clear nail polish trick that I use on the screws on my glasses that work their way out...

I'd be careful with things that are non-toxic. I'm a bit unfamiliar with what is poisonous to parrots except the commonly known (I.E. household cleaners, air fresheners, etc.) What I have done so far, until I come up with something better, is putting a little "bitter apple" on the nuts and bolts. It's something they use to use on parrots who "plucked" their feathers out (I guess in frustration, thank God Cosmo doesn't do that!). I haven't seen Cosmo try to get out that way in a while. He only unscrewed the nuts off the bolts that holds his cage door on when I would lock him down completely. (It's kind of confusing, but I have several methods that I use to at least, make it difficult for him to come out when HE wants to). My only concern is him coming out when I'm not home, Which has happened on several occasions. He has a full play area outside his cage for him to enjoy, so it's not that he's cooped up in his cage too long, he enjoys his freedom so much he's taking advantage of me, I guess. Cosmo's only about 3 years old (I've had him since he was 13 weeks old). I've read that Congo African Grey's are mentally mature at around 5 years. So maybe in about 2 years he'll either give up out-witting me, or I'll be the one in the cage, trying to figure out how I can get out! ;)

I've read that Congo African Grey's are mentally mature at around 5 years. So maybe in about 2 years he'll either give up out-witting me, or I'll be the one in the cage, trying to figure out how I can get out! ;)

You should probably start practicing now in preparation. :P