NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Baby Grey

Noely

Hi My Name is Noel and i recently bought a 12 week old african grey Called Tucker, this is my first time owning a parrot and im trying to learn as i go along so if any body has any tips on how to bond with a parrot at such a young age please let me know.

Hello, Noel, and welcome to the family, we are glad you joined and congrats on your new grey. You will find a lot of information in the threads here on this forum, why don't you read them over, a lot of what you want to know is contained within them.

You just basically take care of your new grey with proper diet, a suitable cage, and plenty of toys. Spend some time each day with Tucker, teach him to step up on your command and in no time he will be bonded to you. When he learns new things, give him plenty of praise, but never punish him for doing wrong, use positive reinforcement.

He should be caged when you are not at home but when you are home let him out to spend time with you and whoever else is there. He needs some social time and introduce him to guests when they are in your home.

We are glad you joined the family of grey owners and soon you will enjoy what we have known for a long time, its a greyt world.

Greetings Noely! Congratulations on the new addition to your family and welcome to the family here!! Please ask questions, browse the site, search posts to find information and have fun!!

Judygram provided some great basic tips. You need patience, repetition and a steady dose of love to build a relationship of trust with the bird. This must be an approach you adopt and commit to for the entire long life of the animal. If you do so, you will be rewarded with an amazing friend that is intelligent, funny, beautiful and just amazing! B)

The first few weeks are often spent with the bird just getting comfortable in new surroundings. They have been taken from what they knew (pet shop, breeder, parents, other birds, cage mates etc) and are now in an entirely new place, new cage etc with a new care taker. Some birds take about a month to adjust, though many feel at home sooner. During this period just talk to the bird, handle it as you can and get it comfortable with you. As this happens, start to show it around the new home. Take it into different rooms etc. If the bird is afraid, dont push too much too fast, but also dont let a little aprehension stop you from exposing it to new things. Bit by bit everything will come together as you learn to read each others body language and bond. Provided you take the approach of making your best attemtp to make interactions positive the bonding process will be natural. There will be challeneges along the way, but if you have this mentality you will be fine and the bond will happen!

We look forward to hearing from you! ;)<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/08/09 04:14

Hi when i put my hand in the cage the bird goes for it to bite it when i try to stroke him he gets mad should i leave him a little longer to adjust and should i take him out of the cage myself or should i let him come himself??

Welcome, Noely - I'm happy you joined us :)

Give him some time. It's like a child having to get accustomed to his new home. Everything is still strange for him, so let him take in his environment first and talk to him softly. Only slowly try to approach him physcially each time some more.

I, who don't own a Grey myself I must note, really think that letting him get used to your voice and presence first is a basic step before touching him physically (but other members may correct me if I'm wrong, since they're the experts here) :blush: