NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How old is my grey and is she fine

Keegan

I would be carefull of what you give your baby, stick to canola or peanut butter or palm....or none!!!!! Jayd

Please don't rotate oils, they don't need them all!!!! NO SATURATED FATS!!!! Stick with a good diet, don't worry about oil!!!!

Edited by Jayd

One other thing...I find it valuable to yelp, 'Ouch' the momoent your grey gives you pressure on your finger you do not like. I find Issac will let go and look at me like, 'Oh? That hurt"...so he knows what it takes to let me know. Just another 2 cents. But if they toally ignore you and keep going..time to put them down on a perch.

Edited by Elvenking

Greys really use their beaks as an extra hand for checking things out, he is making sure your hand is steady enough to hold him. I'm not sure if there is any more to it than that. There will/may come a time when he starts to push boundaries with you, and harder bites may have another meaning, but I think your a way off that yet. You are doing right just removing him gently when he bites and returning him to his stand. Ask him not to bite - tell him it hurts you! It might sound daft to you, but I think they understand - certainly the sentiment if not the words.

Yes! Talk to them like they understand...you will be suprised where that leads! Keep the dialogue simple and consistant..and your Grey will learn things you never thought.

One other thing...I find it valuable to yelp, 'Ouch' the momoent your grey gives you pressure on your finger you do not like. I find Issac will let go and look at me like, 'Oh? That hurt"...so he knows what it takes to let me know. Just another 2 cents.

Many people don't realize that to a Grey, "dokie" might mean "Ouch"and "love you" might mean "Bite me" no matter what language you use, a Grey will understand! Doe's a Grey translate "English" to "Greynise" or vice-versa ? You never raise your voice to a Grey! a Amazon or TOO, yes, with a Grey, walking away or petting they're beak right away, [my favorite] is proper. A raised voice can be a signal to bite again, try it and you'll see. Did you ever think that instead of looking at you and thinking "Oh? that hurt", that he was thinking "Oh? he likes it" and bites you again. My question?,what language does a Grey think in? Most people don't give our Grey's enough credit and really realize how truly intelligent they are!!! With a Grey, you don't have to use repetition, they're capable of learning after hearing something only once! What Grey sounds might fall upon my ears might be a poem! Jayd

As with anything in life, there are exception's

Edited by Jayd

Great reply Jayd...yep..it really depends..you have to watch them.. Issac interpreted my actions this way...you have to be in tune with yer bird for sure..that is paramount..take time to learn them...it will happen no matter what..just know that you cannot command understanding between you and yer bird. It takes time. we can only speak upon instances...all greys are not made the same. Issac seems to see that I don't like certain things and he does not do them...such as biting. And I thought it might be because when he does this I tell him...ya just never know.

I do think it is important to respect them if ever they do not want to be touched or handled...in some way. I have had Issac for most of his lie..and i found that when i yelped when he clamped down on my finger to test it...he backed off.

Bottom line..if you want a relationship with yer bird...yer gonna figure it out..the fact that you care is an excellent start...just keep thinikng..it comes to you..

Edited by Elvenking

Thank you, Maggie Wright wrote" If a Amazon falls, he thinks, oh well I fell! A Grey will stop and think, If I fall, I can get hurt, break a leg etc...When we make a loud responce and our bird "backs off", What is he thinking? Is he storing it for later references? I wish I knew...In the wild, a Grey doesn't bite, nor does he pluck! It's for us to learn how to understand our Grey's, they already know what they're saying....Jayd

Side note: I've found out that Spock and Joey respond very similar to the same stimulus, the main difference is, one's extroverted and the other is introverted! Is this age or because of upbringing?

Hi Guys,

I managed to find some Canola oil, by hudsons. Can youll please advise how to apply the oil, what frequency and quantity?

Hi, Maggie here, Jayd other half. Jayd says "just 4 or 5 drops once or twice a week on veggies or a piece of toast... A lot of seeds and parrot foods have oil in them, so only a little is needed!

Maggie

To the person who just found the canola oil and wants to know how much to use----yes, some parrot seeds have miniscule amounts of natural unprocessed oil in them, but we didn't invent the amount that's in those seeds. Store bought canola is processed and chemicals are used to grow the plant. Some of those chemicals are pesticides. The largest amount of oil that's found in seeds is in the sunflower seed that only wild outside types of birds eat. These birds aren't the types that can be kept as pets and are usually small birds that eat at feeders. It's well known that one of the worst seeds to give to parrots is that type of sunflower seed because of the heavy concentration of oils in it . It can cause serious problems in parrots but not in those outside birds.

The oil that's highly recommended for greys is palm oil but many people can't get it and some people are willing to try out other products that other people use that aren't recommended for parrots which may not be a good idea. Think long and hard before deciding to put a concentrated product on food that already contains the natural and proper amount of other oils in it. If I wasn't able to get palm oil, I feel that it's better for me to not use any oil rather than one that isn't approved for parrots. Hundreds of people don't feed palm oil to their birds and their birds have no problems.

Red palm oil has 2 main properties in it which only do 2 things----It gives VIT A & VIT E to a grey which they need. It's their natural staple in the wild. The most common thing you're gonna see concerning canola oil in different sites is the fact that canola oil doesn't have any VIT E in it which a grey needs .

Look at many sites concerning canola oil. You'll find very few sites that speak about giving concentrated canola oil to parrots. The facts about canola in 98% of all sites will eventually refer towards people and the good and bad of using canola oil in cooking and as salad dressings and as substitutes for butter, margarine . One or two conflicting articles only convinces me to do one thing--stay away from it.

It'll be extremely hard to find any articles that are lengthy and deal strictly with parrots and them eating it in concentrated form. Canola oil can't be thinned out for animal use nor is it discussed as far as feeding it to parrots as a basic additive to their food.

Hi Dave, great post, the avian Doctor that recommended Canola oil to me was a Dr.Chubb, I'll find her info about it for any one who wants. i WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN, stick with what Dave says, just because I use it it doesn't mean it's right for you. I personally feel that "Red Palm Oil" is a Hype!!! In the studies and research I've done, it's not worth the expense. After blood tests being done after feeding Spock canola

he has done very well, but remember my fids receive very little processed bird type food,[some day I might do a paper] almost everything they eat is fresh foods. Don't do as I do or as I say concerning food, there' a lot more involved then most people would like to mess with. DAVE007 RULES.....

Jayd

Jayd

Please don't misunderstand what I said about people not using palm oil and their birds not having any problems. Why aren't many of those birds having little or no problems? Because people are constantly searching for other products that will contain those same nutrients. I was only referring to people who couldn't find or purchase it. I don't believe red palm oil is a hype. I think it's one of the best things that can be fed to an african grey IF it can be found and purchased. We have a listing here of a certain place that has huge supplies of the palm oil at very decent prices. It's a huge vitamin supply house and many people have since ordered from that place. Unfortunately, people can't buy it in certain countries. It's even harder to get red palm nuts. In those countries it's easy for them to get the nuts but not the oil and in this country it's just the opposite. The contents and importance of red palm oil for african greys is well documented. Both the palm nuts and the palm oil which surrounds the nuts are essential to greys in the wild. They have the most important essential vitamins that a grey needs. Wanna find out where all the greys are living in their native country? Just find out where all the red palm nut trees are located and you'll spot them AND they're not the only species of parrot that eats palm nuts and oil.

Dave, your knowledge is well respected by me, always will be. I'll be the first to cover your back...My choice for using canola oil is because of "EFA",[ Essential Fatty Acids ] and no saturated fats. The Hype in Red palm oil I refer to is the cost only, "supply and demand", and for our captive bred Grey's Id like to see a little less saturated fat. There's some good videos on the net of Macaws devouring them. This is just my opinion. Dave's post is a hundred and ten percent correct!!!!!! I can't remember the name of the thread, but I did one on "EFA's".

Jayd

'