NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How old is my grey and is she fine

Keegan

Hello Everyone,

I am from Bangalore, India. I dont have any avianvets around here and would really appereciate your help and advise.

I have a 6 month old CAG, thats what the breeder told me, Can someone look at the picture ive uploaded and give me a general idea as to her age.

Also shes been scratching her head a lot and also has started biting her feathers more agressively, just like if shes preening but more angrily. I am not sure if shes molting or has flees. If I post a video will it help?. Ive tried checking her skin around the head it looks clear and pink. From other posts I guess shes molting, but really not sure if she is supposed to molt at this age and whether shes really 6 months old.

Any help would be appreciated.

I use a spray bottle and spray her with water. I cant find any aloevera liquid and also red palm oil. Is there an alternative? coconut oil or sunflower oil which is used for cooking?

Also can you guess the sex of the bird by the shape of the eye. We have called her Ginger, but not really sure if Ginger is a she.

Ginger..jpg

Those eyes are pretty dark...darker than my Grey's and my grey is 24 weeks....or two weeks shoert of six months...so I think that yours will be less than that. Maybe 16 weeks or so.

Here is a photo of him in his 23rd week...look at the eyes.

IMG_1275.jpg

Edited by Elvenking

Hi Keegan, welcome to the Forum. Your baby does look quite young, but I guess there will be variations from grey to grey as to how they develop. Do you have reason to doubt your breeder when they say 6 months?

As for the moult, that will vary too - usually around 6-8 months is the norm, my grey was certainly starting to loose the fluffy feathers by 6 months, and this will definitely cause Ginger to scratch.

Misting with water is good if you can't get aloe juice, and Jay's advice of Canola oil will be good.

Ginger is a good name and would suit a boy or a girl - we called Alfie he for a year before we found out she was a girl!!

***Also shes been scratching her head a lot and also has started biting her feathers more agressively, just like if shes preening but more angrily***

That may be from a high temperature or dry skin or both. You may be bathing your bird the wrong way. In order for bathing to be truely effective, the actual skin of the bird must be soaked which may be harder to do than just spraying the outer surface of the body. Greys and other parrots have waterproof feathers so water just runs off the feathers and does little good. Try soaking your bird in a sink or putting the bird in a shower. At such a young age, it's easier to get a bird used to that.

As far as eye sexing---no, it's totally unreliable so if you really need to know the sex of the bird you need to take your bird to an avian vet to have his blood checked. But since you have no AVs where you are, it might be better not to worry about the sex of the bird. Even people who have AVs nearby don't bother trying to find out the sex of the bird.

At about 1 yr old, a grey has it's first major molt--loss of all feathers except wings and tail but before that time arrives, a very young bird still loses baby feathers in very small amounts here and there. That aggressive feather biting sounds like dry skin.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for the quick and informative response. I wasn't able to find Canola oil, though I believe rapeseed oil can be obtained wasn't able to get it today though.

I also got Aloe Vera juice, its a 100% juice, like Dave had mentioned in a post, only it says preservatives are added. So not sure if I can use it.

Also regarding the scratching, since I don't have any Avian vets around here, was wondering if I could show her to a poultry vet. Any ideas if they would be capable of providing good advise and also the medicines they prescribe, I am sure they would be poultry based, will they help or affect the bird adversely?

Thanks Elvenking, for your response.

I guess your right about the birds age. The breeder wasn't really giving me the right information, since some people here are very particular about the age, and the breeder prefers to stick to a figure they have in mind more of a sales point of view. We cant help it since there aren't very professional breeders around, as compared to international standard. But the guy I got to bird from seemed to care for the bird and had some feeling for it. So I settled for him. I guess she should be around 4 months, the other pics I saw online too the birds over six months had lighter eyes. And Ginger has got her complete feathering so I suppose shes more than 3 months old.

Aloe juice is fine, remember to soak the baby 2 to 3 times a week. Rapeseed has to much fat. Canola is a cooking oil. We give all our fid's "Organic Peanut Butter", it has "Palm oil" in it...Skippy's, Laura Scudder, etc...Jayd

Hi Jayd,

What about safflower oil, will it do? And to soak the bird. I tried keeping her under the shower with a light flow of water, more like rain drops. But the water just slid off her feathers. On spraying her I noticed that the water did penetrate and also got her soaked. except under her wings, which she refuses to lift. What about her head, if I spray it, will water enter her nostrils and ears? Is it okay?

It's ok to spray your bird all over, if she will let you, lift her wing and spray.[hard to do] No safflower oil, canola, palm oil are ok. Do they have a store that sells "American food" for tourist? You might find "Peanut butter or Canola oil there. Give me a day or to and I'll see what I can find....Jayd

Jayd,

Peanut butter? Will it do. I am sure I can find peanut butter. Is there any specification regarding the peanut butter, or is it the regular one available on shelves that people use on their bread etc.

Also I've tried my best and cant find pellets here, Bangalore, India. Today I visited all the pet stores and was sad to see that they just feed Sunflower seeds and corn to the mackaws and african greys, also they were surprised when I told them that too much of sunflower seeds is bad.

Well here is my birds diet, please do advise.

Sunscription Vita parrot formula ( its a combination of seeds and pellets)

Prestige premium Versele laga, loro parque mix african parrot, ( it says on the packet here that they use it as a the main diet in luro praque, tenerife.

Half an apple,

Corn about 1/4 of a corn.

Green chillies 1,

Okra

Gherkins

1 boiler egg, though she eats only the yellow, I put the crushed shell inside.

Sunlight through a glass window ( Or does she need direct sunlight)

Is the diet okay? Will she be deficient due to lack of pellets?

If it says 100% then it's pure so use it. If you can't get the red palm oil, try to get a small cage and take your bird out in the sunshine for about 1 hr a day or 2 to 3x a week. It produces Vit D3 which is good internally. Other palm oils aren't good and aren't recommended for birds. All websites that sell the oil only speack of red palm oil. Going to a poultry vet isn't a good idea because parrots and poultry animals have nothing to do with each other and advise from someone who's dealing with a totally different animal is bad. It really doesn't matter if poultry animals have feather problems. They get those problems because they're all stuck together and scratch and bite each other all day and anyway, all the feathers are pulled out before sale. Right now, I wouldn't start experimenting with different products that you've never dealt with before. I do think that you should take a long timee to seek out an avian vet no matter where/he/she is located for the future. A poultry doctor won't be able to help you in the future if your bird develps other problems. Right now, your bird has a minor problem that wasn't treated with anything and you've been told where to start right now. Many birds don't like peanut butter because it's very thick and sticks to the out and inner parts of the beak. If your bird has spots of baldness because of feathers being pulled, try to find a bottle of Aloe Vera Gel. It's an ointment that can be put on those bald spots.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Dave,

There aren't any bald spots on my bird, And will it help if I post a video or her scratching, Can you tell me if thats normal?

She isn't pulling out any feathers except for the cotton like small feathers, about 10 of them every day.

Dave, looking at the picture of my bird can you tell me how old she is. Shall also post another picture if its helpful.

As far as age, yes it's possible to give a rough approx. age of the bird. Of course that number may vary a bit but is usually good as a rough idea. Don't expect an exact number.

If you wanna post a video, that's fine. Video the upper back, near the tail, the breast and if possible the front of the neck but I really think you don't have a big problem. I don't know your temperature in your country but I can tell you that birds lose some of their baby feathers all the time and it mainly has to do with slight scratching from dry skin which happens to many birds no matter what couuntry they live in. All of my birds do that all year long and all are adults. It's just messy but the birds have no problems.

1 boiler egg, though she eats only the yellow, I put the crushed shell inside.

Sunlight through a glass window ( Or does she need direct sunlight)

It might just be worth mentioning that eggs should be limited to around one a week, and as Dave says, your bird is best off going outside for a couple of hours a day - sunlight through a glass is usually no good as glass has filters and the beneficial UV rays don't reach the bird. Remember though, that if you do take the bird outside, watch out for sunburn.

By the way, your grey is beautiful!

Your bird is no more than 6/7 mts old and I still don't see where the problem is. The feathers look perfect. The eyes seem clear.

5 mts old

5mtsold-2.jpg

Your bird is starting to get it's very dark gray iris surrounding the pupil of the eye. This bird hasn't reached that stage yet.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks guys,

I guess I worried too much about things.

I have another question, I couldn't find the answer on the "biting" post.

When I hold my grey using a stick, he climbs onto my hand. Then he feels my hand by licking it and after a few seconds or a minute gets a grip, bites lightly and then harder.

Not so much that it bleeds but it does take off the skin. What does he want or what does it mean. How can I avoid this?

I hold his upper beak and open it up slightly and loosen his grip and then return him to his stand. He then calls sweetly again for me to pick him up.

Once again thanks a lot for all the help and advise. And a special thanks to Dave.

Thanks Dave,

There aren't any bald spots on my bird, And will it help if I post a video or her scratching, Can you tell me if thats normal?

She isn't pulling out any feathers except for the cotton like small feathers, about 10 of them every day.

Dave, looking at the picture of my bird can you tell me how old she is. Shall also post another picture if its helpful.

By the way...it will be snowing tiny downy feathers for quite some time. :) Sometimes Issac does this and i have to hold my breath as plenty of tiny white feathers rain down around me after he shuffles his wings.

Thanks guys,

I guess I worried too much about things.

I have another question, I couldn't find the answer on the "biting" post.

When I hold my grey using a stick, he climbs onto my hand. Then he feels my hand by licking it and after a few seconds or a minute gets a grip, bites lightly and then harder.

Not so much that it bleeds but it does take off the skin. What does he want or what does it mean. How can I avoid this?

I hold his upper beak and open it up slightly and loosen his grip and then return him to his stand. He then calls sweetly again for me to pick him up.

Once again thanks a lot for all the help and advise. And a special thanks to Dave.

It could mean that he would like you to hold your hand differently....just my wild guess. If there doesn't seem to be enough firm support for them to stand...they can try to tell you this way. They also do this when they want your hand to bring them somewhere in particular, closer to the ground or towards another perching location. Is your grey clipped or flighted? Again...just me feeling in the dark for answers. Resist the temptation to grab the beak back, their beak is sensitive and you wouldn't want someone grabing you by your nose or mouth. This will also only encourage more 'beaky' behavior. Just put the bird down and come back later. When the bird complies and sits kindly on your hand, praise lots.

Edited by Elvenking

I Then he feels my hand by licking it and after a few seconds or a minute gets a grip, bites lightly and then harder.

I hold his upper beak and open it up slightly and loosen his grip and then return him to his stand.

Greys really use their beaks as an extra hand for checking things out, he is making sure your hand is steady enough to hold him. I'm not sure if there is any more to it than that. There will/may come a time when he starts to push boundaries with you, and harder bites may have another meaning, but I think your a way off that yet. You are doing right just removing him gently when he bites and returning him to his stand. Ask him not to bite - tell him it hurts you! It might sound daft to you, but I think they understand - certainly the sentiment if not the words.

I think our birds are close to the same age. Mine was born Jan. 11. He definately mouths everything. Remember, they don't use their hands to explore, they use their much more sensitive beaks and tongues. Talons are for holding things. And like a young human child, he is trying to learn about the world. Hawkins (my baby) loves to hold my finger with his beak and I have taught him just as others have said to be gentle. Then I will very lightly stroke his beak or scratch his head for him with other fingers on the same hand. Its a very sweet moment for us and we often do when I don't have time to take him out of the cage and play. I just slip my hand through the cage bars and he will lightly hold on while I pet him. In the beginning, he definately tried a few harder bites but I just told him, "gentle" each time and pulled away so he learned. These guys learn quick.

In India, the oils you get will be different than we get here in the United States or in Europe. Canola might be hard to find as you mention. Personally, I would choose coconut as chemically it is more similar to red palm oil than safflower. The oils all have different types of fats in them and the birds need all of them. So maybe to be sure, you could rotate through the week. I might call my avian vet and ask her that one for you. Are you in a city? I have friends in parts of India who might be able to help me find good solutions for you. They don't know birds but they know American products and Indian products and could help us to better compare for you.

edit: just reread first post. Your in Bangalore. Thats where my friends are. Excellent. I will let you know if my vet gets back to me and we can see what we can learn.

Edited by crossfit
correction