NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

That's one stunned parrot..

hveusnthbrige

When you work at a hobby shop you encounter large pieces of balsa wood that nobody seems to buy. A smart hobby shop worker then waits patiently for the boss to leave and then, claims that giant block in the name of his wooden objects that are otherwise perfectly fine the way they are now.. not chewed.

Needless to say Mirek took no time in second guessing this ridiculously excellent over sized chewing festival and got to work on it in seconds. I give him 2 weeks for this mammoth to disappear. My wager is... get another one when hes done.

8aug2007-1.JPG

8aug2007-2.JPG

But no chunk of balsa wood no matter how big can win him over for a green bean. He was eating zucchini and cherry tomatoes yesterday quite happily. He also now eats banana willingly and as always still deeply enjoys raspberries and blueberries.

8aug2007-3.JPG

Oh, Geoff, how cute Mirek is in those pictures, and that is a whopper of a piece of wood, I give him about 2 weeks also, and then another one will be needed.

Thanks for sharing these with us, he is still a young one, he has the dark eyes yet, he is a beautiful boy.

wow, very cool photos! I would think balsa wood is a bit soft for them to get any real exercise going?!? Granted I have never really messed around with a piece as big as you have, so I don't know how dense such a large piece really is, but my experience with balsa is I could more or less pick it apart with my finger nails. No? Kip tears through some pretty hard woods. Often gets small pieces of 2x4 type wood and I am amazed how she turns it into tiny wood chips in short time...B)

Yes Dan, the pysch poster really does make him dizzy!... I think. I dunno.. He likes chewing the edge of it. And for the record its genuine, made from black velvet and black light reactive colours. It's even dated for original printing in 1975. Maybe when Mirek's half grown up he can invite over his girl buddies, I'll get him some Christmas lights and shag carpet. Ooo a lava lamp, and I'll show him how to use my dimmer switches and put on some mellow ambiance music. Then I'll kick him out and change the locks. Ha.

Dblhelix, ya balsa is pretty soft. But he attacks the stuff like crazy. If you get the little thin sheets they break easy but the thick pieces seem to entertain him quite a bit. I've little experience with his chewing as I've only had him nearly a month now. Thus I grabbed a piece of bass wood, thats the smaller shorter piece in the picture. It's about the same hardness as mahogany or spruce.

I have those colourful 2x4 slice toys too which he readily destroys but it takes him much longer.