NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather picking - this worked to stop it

chezron

I figured out what to do and it works! After a visit to the vet we found out Brutus' calcium was low. It turns out they need sunlight to turn Vitamin D3 into D which helps with taking in calcium. Plus this process is closely tied to hormone regulation which could explain his recent nervous feather shredding. Well since the vet visit we have done two things 1) He gets put into a small cage and brought into the shower every Sunday and 2) Brutus comes outside with me into the sun for about an hour every day. We set up a dog crate outside and we put his small cage in it, so there is a good foot above and around him. Even though I sit right there with him I still worry about hawks. The good news is he is totally back to his old self- goofy and fun-loving. He has not hurt his feathers since we started taking him out, and I feel the sunlight (especially) changed his physiology! I cannot tell how happy I am for him. I am so glad he is obviously feeling better and happier!

• Haha 1

Be careful with a brighter reptile light. Talon repeatedly got sunburned around her eye from me using an avian light bulb from a well known company. It tokk 3 vet visits and terrible times for me having to put drops and ointment in her eye as our vet thought she had an eye infection. I finally figured out it was the lite. I bought her a new one and no problems since. Bottom line, there was no infection, just swelling from the burn.

A sunburned Grey, that is unique. Working at the Sanctuary has showed me how important sunlight is to all species. Getting to see them change over the time they spend outside compared to how they looked upon arrival is amazing.

A sunburned Grey, that is unique. Working at the Sanctuary has showed me how important sunlight is to all species. Getting to see them change over the time they spend outside compared to how they looked upon arrival is amazing.

Yes Greywings, it is as it is. Talon's eye that was next to her eye, was burned by the light. It would flare up and become red and swollen whenever she was put in her cage for an hour or so. When she was taken out, it went down, but remained red. This was happened the first day I put the new light on that side of her cage, however it took 3 weeks (medication that lasted a week) before I was able to figure out WHY her eye (the skin surrounding it) was so red. The vet never found any infection in her eye, but treated it for one because he couldn't determine WHY it was red. Better safe than sorry he thought. It was I that figured out it was the new lite. When I took it away, the eye very quickly went back to normal. So it is possible that being too close to a bulb CAN have some affect on the sensitive part of their skin. I posted a thread about this at the time it happened. Perhaps you didn't see it. :)

Chezron: I am so very happy to hear that the sunlight has helped with the plucking! What a great thing to know. Thanks for sharing this!!

I'll try this with Jacques! Too bad it's dark and gloomy outside... and that I'll be away for the next few days...

As far as the shower goes, do you just let him sit in the steam or does he actually go in the water? Jacques hates getting wet and always puts up a huge stink when I try to give him a birdie bath.

What are the best AG-approved veggies for calcium?

I have noticed a huge difference in Ozzy with just a few hours outside every day that it is nice and warm. After the first time he seemed happier he started cleaning himself better and moving around and exploring a lot more.

Brutus hates water, so I have to put him in a small cage and soak him in the cage. It seems kind of mean, but he is getting used to it, and much more tolerant of the spray. It is the only way I can get him wet. I avoid spraying his face though. Who knows, he may start to like it.

According to the vet, even if they get 15-20 minutes of sun a day, it is enough. I had the same experience as Ozzy's Mom as far as positive behavioral changes. He completely stopped mistreating his feathers almost immediately.