NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

baby CAG bitting ?

amiraweston

I have a 2.5 month old CAG on a Lay-away plan at my local pet shop. He was born Feb 14th. I go and see him about 4 times a week. He is still being hand fed but down to once a day. I was told I could take him home in about 4 weeks. Every time I go see him he nibbles at my fingers, sometimes very hard. The pet shop lady, the one that has taken care of him since birth and is hand feeding him, tells me he's just hungry and he also associates my fingers with food. I visit him at different times of day. I carry him around the pet store so he's not in the community play pin area and away from the other birds. Is this normal behavior for such a young bird? Is he just tasting me? Is it true about him being hungry? The pet store said he's from a local breeder in town. I'm very worried about owning a bird that bites and I realize that he will bite in certain situations and I am hoping just not all the time! I don't want a mean bird. Should I be concerned about the birds parents? Age, temperment ect? This is my first big parrot and I want everything to be perfect for him. I am reading a book "The African Grey Parrot Handbook" that is increasing my anxiety, it's seems I could have a twisted bird, it all depends on my actions and behavior. I'm loosing sleep over this. Please help.

Sleepless in Big Pine Key

Whoa! Don't panic just yet. Take a breath, and remember, all parrots bite at some point. Your baby could be associating your fingers as the feeding method that has been used on it, and is trying to latch onto your fingers to begin to "pump" for food. My Grey still tries to do this at nearly 11 months old. The bird could be treating you as a parent, and looking to you to provide the food in the method it has become accostomed to. Or, it could just be a matter of still working toward gaining the bird's trust, it may be nervous with you still and getting even more stressed as it moves further away from the area that it knows.

I'd like to give some of the owners who have more experience in this regard have an opportunity to chime in, but I can assure you, the differences you see in a baby parrot as it ages are remarkable. Some changes for the good, some for the bad, and some reverse. We are all nervous in taking on this big step, and I can still get overwhelmed with this all, especially at the moment when my Grey seems to be more sensitive than he has been before. Remember, patience, patience, and more patience.

Hi Amiraweston, welcome to our family. Xtreme575 and jacarual give good advice - but the best bit is that "all parrots bite". The definition of a bit should be taken into account too - parrots "feel" with their beaks, and sometimes this will hurt you. Other times if they are frustrated, or going through a hormonal phase they will "bite" and draw blood. It's nature for them to do it - it is frustrating to the owner, it can have you in tears - but you have to "train" yourself not to respond in any outlandish way that encourages the bird to bite. They love the drama - so if you scream or shout when "beaked" the bird will think you are enjoying it and it will encourage him to do it more.

At 10 weeks old though, there is no venom in the bite. The baby is merely tasting you, just as Jacarual says. You will, however, have to be ready for the bites that definitely will come. They are hormonal birds, with very strong personalities and wills. I'm not trying to put you off in any way - but please do be expecting the odd "bite". It's parrot nature after all x

They sometimes call it soft beaking where they are just testing everything. Human babies will grab everything & stick it in their mouths & as baby parrots don't have hands they use their beak instead. As others have said all parrots bite so you have to expect the odd bite here & there, you also get used to it & after a while it's not that bad. I know their beaks can look a little scary & My Fiancee Kate is still a little scared of Murphy's beak when he has a nibble but it doesn't bother me at all as I know he isn't being mean, just soft beaking.

The others have all gievn GreYt comments and advice.

Parrots "Feel" everything with their beak. As a baby, he could be wanting food or just taking a reading on the texture, firmness and taste of your finder. One thing a baby parrot does not know, is how much pressure is "ok" and when it hurts you. In nature with other clutch members. They quickly learn this due to the other chick or parent getting upset and "Nipping" which gives sensory and mental feedback that it just clamped down with too much force.

When your baby does that, pull your hand or finger back as you say, be careful or that hurts. Whatever words you wish to consistantly use, to let him know from know on it was too much force.

They have a very sensitive beak tip with a ton of nerves in the tip. They receive a lot of data back from it as the beak and apply various pressures to items the beak comes in contact with.

Note - If it was truly a "Bite", there would be blood. :)