NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about CAG

duffyblue

Our new neighbor has two breeding pair of CAGs and we re enjoying the beautiful noises that are coming from her townhouse. We stopped by today to see her latest arrival, only one of the last clutch of eggs hatched. She made a major move during this time and may have lost the others due to fluctuating temps. Anyway, she pointed out that this little chick has lost one toe on each foot. The vet she uses has helped her save the rest of the toes but I am curious as too how common this is. Have any of you ever heard of this before.

My wife and I are considering getting a bird from her but we are trying to learn as much as possible first. I frequent the wood working groups and found this one a couple of weeks ago. We are enjoying the give and take here and learning a lot about grays. We had a "yellow bill" while we lived in Jamaica. (That may be a local name) Wonderful little fellow who was very entertaining. We had to leave Jamie there, they were protected from export.

Gave her to a nice family.

Any thoughts on the toe loss mentioned above?

Guest cyberknock

Hello Nut Tree,

You don't say what the move was about. If she relocated her breeding pair with their eggs, I am surprised that any hatched at all! Or does she incubate the eggs in an incubator rather than leaving them with the parents?

In any case, I really can't understand someone moving in the middle of the nesting/hatching cycle!

As to the missing toes, it can be due to one of several causes, depending on circumstances: If the chick was in the nest box with the parents, maybe they became agitated due to the move and they may have become aggressive towards the chick. You say this is the only egg which hatched. Therefore one can eliminate clutchmate aggression.

If the eggs were in an incubator, I am no vet, but missing toes could be due to a genetic deficiency. I can imagine a fluctuation in temperature killing the chicks in the eggs but I have problems reconciling this with missing toes..? You say the vet helped "save" the other toes. Does that mean that the chick originally hatched with all of its toes intact? That could indicate another problem rather than genetics.. Maybe the vet could advise you directly.

However, If I were you I'd chose another breeder, or at least, wait for the next clutch to see how healthy the new chicks are generally and also to check if the same problem reoccurs. Did this person breed those greys prior to this? Maybe you can visit other owners who bought birds from this 'breeder' and check out their birds. Are they healthy, have all their toes, appear happy and well adjusted?

There are several things to look for in a good breeder. There are excellent web sites and articles on the subject if you need help in that area. I can provide you with a couple of addresses if you wish. Among other things to look for, check with your neighbour to see if the birds are fully weaned before they leave her home, and if she lets the bird fledge before their first wing clip.

There are breeders on this forum so maybe some will provide you with more information.

Good luck

Lorraine

Guest phishbook

constrictions on the toes which die off. Bad husbandry is the cause of that and I for one would be looking elsewhere for a breeder.