NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My new baby African Grey

laker4life24

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah! Thank you for the update. :) Luckily for me those were all a couple years apart. I know there are experienced breeders here who can give you far better advice than I. All I can say is from what I have read if Amigo is going to get sick statistically it's this second or third week when it will show up. Watch carefully for any changes, and take baby to the vet immediately if there is the slightest question in your mind. Best wishes and please keep us posted!

Jayd, I'm sorry if I took offense when you meant none, and if I sounded like a total beeeach in my reply which I did not intend. That's the biggest problem with message boards, you can't put across your tone of "voice" or facial expressions. I'll p.m. you.

One of the things we do on the forums is not only try to answer all the questions, but try to show every one how to find the answers to there questions!!!!! If we don't have all the info, we can't give the correct answer!!!! One thing we try yo do is never assume or judge!!! In the past couple of weeks, we have had some scary thread, this is one of them, and were all worried...We may not want to hear it, but if a person decides to hand-feed a baby, there is a 50/50 chance of failure, experienced or not!!!!! If you want to learn about a person on the forums, Example: click my avatar, then click, find all posts, or find all started threads....Jayd

Edited by Jayd

Hope all is still well, And glad to hear his eyes are starting to open. He will get to see you for the first time very soon!

You are defanitly Brave for taking in such a young baby, I am not going to say you should of or shouldnt of...I personally wouldnt just becuase I would be too afraid. I did get my Grey young too, Just not quite THAT young, She was 4 weeks...

I am glad it feel into the hands of someone who cares enough to ask questions and try the best to take care of it though, And not some idiot who just wants an "african Grey" and knows nothing about them and could care less, just as long as they can say, "Hey I have an African Grey" And then the poor thing ends up dead.

So Ask all the questions you need, Dont be afraid, I have had to ask some very seemingly DUMB questions too, lol And everyone here has been SUCH a great help.

Give pictures please! Cant wait to see little Amigo!

thanks guys, i'm sorry about being defensive in the begginning of this thread. i understand that you guys just want the best for the baby. He opened hiseye a little bit today and his feet are now more grey than pink. However, i need some help. He keeps his left leg straightand sticking out. Its not broken or damaged or anything like that, and i can bend it for him, but when i let go, it goes back into that position. i wanted to know what you guys think.

thanks guys, i'm sorry about being defensive in the begginning of this thread. i understand that you guys just want the best for the baby. He opened hiseye a little bit today and his feet are now more grey than pink. However, i need some help. He keeps his left leg straightand sticking out. Its not broken or damaged or anything like that, and i can bend it for him, but when i let go, it goes back into that position. i wanted to know what you guys think.

Thank you, and thanks for posting, my advice is a picture and see a vet, pm DanMcq and Dave007 or Spinner... Thank you, Jayd, Maggie and Spock

If in doubt on any condition, make a visit to the vet. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call the vet and ask when they recommend a visit. I have a very good relationship with mine, as they share my desire for raising very healthy birds.

As for the legs, while lounging around, they will often stick out their leg at what looks like a dangerous position for the leg. It's all good as long as long as it can tuck in the leg underneath while reaching up for food (which it should be doing by now). This behaviour actually continues as the bird gets older, as it stretches the leg under an out-reached wing while balancing on the other leg.

There is a condition called splayed leg, but thanfully it is infrequent for Greys and is easily correctable. As long as the legs are solidly underneath while they are awake, it should be ok.

I'd invite you to check my web cams on a regular basis - I pulled three chicks out of the nestbox a few days ago that are now 22-25 days old. This is probably very close to the age of your chick. They are currently in a brooder and on a feeding schedule of every three hours. Feel free to check it out.

Keep asking questions.

his leg is much better. i am keeping him in a round bowl type thing so his legs stay close to his body. i take him out a lot more though now because he cant really move in there. he is mostly gray now, and his eyes are really open, but not all the way. how do you post pics again, not using photobucket?

Click on the little image of the tree it says "insert image" if you put your cursor on it. And then you can either click on "my computer" or "from URL" if I do that it just goes to my stored pictures on my computer and I select the ones I want. I find photobucket a blessing and prefer to use that free site as you can resize there.

his leg is much better. i am keeping him in a round bowl type thing so his legs stay close to his body. i take him out a lot more though now because he cant really move in there. he is mostly gray now, and his eyes are really open, but not all the way. how do you post pics again, not using photobucket?
Thanks Janet, I also included this thread. http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?54297-HOW-TO-POST-PICTURES&highlight=upload+photos Jayd

Reply using Go advanced, then click insert image just above the text box & upload pics from your computer.

Edit: Didn't realise you guys had posted the same help. No excuse now for not showing us some pics, I'm sure a good few people would like to see them.

Edited by reggieroo