NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Color Me Grey!!wk1

Spock

What's in a Name?

Greetings; Spock here...What is a Congo African Grey Parrot? There are two agreed upon Grey Parrots from Africa. The nominate species is Psittacus erithacus erithacus. The subspecies is Psittacus erithacus timneh.

What I can't find is a Congo African Grey Parrot....What I do find is a Psittacus erithacus erithucus which we call a CAG or Congo African Grey Parrot, with his "brother from another mother", a Psittacus erithacus Timneh. So, it looks to me like someone tacked on the moniker of "Congo African". There is no such bird....Hmmmm!

There is a few people (not me!) trying to remove the Congo African from our Grey Parrots' name and have us go by Psittacus erithacus erithacus and Psittacus erithacus Timneh. So, Talon better get to work, she will have to rename the Forums Psittacus erithacus erithacus Forums. She will also have a Psittacus erithacus erithacus Lounge. Can you imagine starting a thread, "My baby Psittacus erithacus erithacus turned a year old today..." or Ana Grey, my Psittacus erithacus timneh.....

Spock

Live Long and Prosper

• Haha 1

Well.... Since we tend to use initials that would be PEE?

Ha Ha Ha!! I can just imagine excusing myself from a chat saying - "Excuse me, I just have to go and check what my PEE is doing". Brilliant! Well spotted Crossfit!

At least the Psittacus Erithacus Timneh (PET) owners won't have as much trouble!!!

Don't get yourself all worried Spock.

Everything on earth has an official scientific name.

Then they are given an official "Name" outside the scientific garble.

Your CAG and TAG names will never go away, just as you other parrot species names will never go away.

Don't try using logic to understand the human scientists constantly naming things in a weird and never used way outside of their very small community. I have heard them behind closed doors using the everyday "Common Folk" names myself. But, they will never publicly admit they can not properly pronounce most the scientific names themselves.

It's a human thing...... fergettaboutit. :P

The term Congo Grey is not a scientific classification. It is reference that came about over the years regarding the country, or geographical location the birds came from (were trapped in). Its becoming a less and less popular reference as the scientific/avian communities have better communication and harmonized approach. Some older school breeders and mis-informed owners may still use the term Congo Grey to describe the type of bird. Historically they were believed to be larger in size, although that is really muddied too as over time import laws prevented birds coming to US from some African countries and trappers lied about where the actual birds came from. This article speaks to this some:

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/other/variations.htm