NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How long are pellets "fresh"?

dw310

Yeah, that's the problem. I put all the pellets in plastic containers, and threw away the bag. That was in December. I have used less than half of those pellets so far, and wonder when they are no longer good. Thanks for your thoughts.

The pellets have lost all their vitamin value by now.

Here is Harrison's statement regarding storage of pellets:

Storage & Shelf Life

HBD is committed to protecting your bird from artificial preservatives. Here are some suggestions to keep your food fresh:

• Smell the product for freshness prior to feeding.

• Squeeze all air out of the bag and zip it shut at the top.

• If the zip lock gets removed or damaged, fold the top over several times and close with a clip.

Keep food in original bag. The Harrison's bag has a foil barrier that blocks oxygen permeation. The outer kraft paper barrier blocks light that damages the vitamin content. Do not repackage food into plastic bags or Tupperware as the food will remain much fresher for a longer period in the Harrison’s bag.

• Use contents within 4-6 weeks of opening bag.

• Purchase Harrison’s foods only in their original packaging.

• Refrigerating or freezing may help to maintain freshness

Most studies I have looked at show that vitamins (in addition to other supplements, drugs etc) have a MUCH longer shelf life than posted by the manufacturer. Depending on how you store them the pellets can be good for many months beyond the stated expiration date. I store mine in a sealed container in the fridge and may freeze some for really long term storage. I have gone well beyond 6 mo's and feel perfectly fine doing so. Of course Harrison's will say pitch them sooner rather than later, they want to sell you more pellets! As suggested, if they look or smell funny that would indicate degradation. If they look/smell "normal" to you they are probably still just fine.

This is interesting.

Mark (dblhelix) - With your chemical and biology background. Do you know of studies and data in regards how long vitamins and other properties of pelleted foods are actually good?

What affect oxygen, light, temperature etc. has on such foods?

BTW - I wish you posted more often. I miss your great comments and thoughts!!! :)