NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Screaming outside, quiet inside

Gizmo_efc

Hi everyone,

Gizmo has got me confused.

When I let him out of his cage, he gets into his favourite position (on the door) and then after a few minutes starts to scream and make horrible sharp noise time after time. When I return him to his cage, he just starts preening and stays quite quiet.

How can I overcome the screaming and him making a horrible noise when he's out??

Where are you in relation to the cage when he starts to holler? Are you within sight? If not, then he is contact calling you, remember, you are Gizmo's flock, flocks stay fairly close, and if they can't see one another, they contact call. Try hollering back to reassure Gizmo that you are still around to see what happens.

If you are in sight, try having some contact with him before he starts. Open up the cage, when he climbs onto the door as him to step up and spend some time together before putting him down, but its important that you do this before he starts to scream, otherwise he is going to think that the screaming is going to get him the attention. Which is the reinforcement behaviour that parrots look for.

At the end of the day, remember, screaming and noise are part of the parrot parcel. Remember, they are wild animals that have been tamed, they still run on jungle instincts, jungles are noisy. I can guarantee that there will be way more noise than you ever expected, and that it usually happens when you don't want it too, like during a business call, or during your favourite tv show.

How old is Gizmo, and how long have you been sharing your home together? Some of the more experienced owners may have additional information from you, but I think you may need to give them a bit more information to understand what stage your parrot is in beofre they can offer you a fair assessment on your situation.

Good luck!

• Haha 1

Noogie does the same thing but not all the time. It sounds like Gizmo is calling you. I've tried talking back to Noogie to let him know I heard him and that I was there but it doesn't work all the time. I usually have to go get him and bring him into the other room with me. Sometimes Noogie will do it when I'm in the same room and he just wants me to come get him or he wants to be closer to me. I think it's also a jealousy thing with Noogie because it seems to happen when I'm spending time with one of the other birds and he wants to join in.

Murphy does the exact same thing with me, I have tried making soft contact calls back to try & get him to do those instead of the scream. He has started making the softer calls mixed in with the screaming type calls. He also seems to do it a lot more if I walk off from his cage & go spend time with my baby daughter. If I'm sat in the study like now where he is close to me, I hardly ever get it just low noise, mumbling, practising speech & playing on top of his cage etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Gizmo is almost two years old now, his cage is next to the TV and I've thought he may not like this but the only other alternative is on the other side of the wall where he cant see anyone so I think it may make problems worse.

I've put im in his cage, this didnt work, I've put the cover over him, which works for a bit but when he comes back outside the cage he just starts all over again?

He's got me confused?

Gizmo is almost two years old now, his cage is next to the TV and I've thought he may not like this but the only other alternative is on the other side of the wall where he cant see anyone so I think it may make problems worse.

I've put im in his cage, this didnt work, I've put the cover over him, which works for a bit but when he comes back outside the cage he just starts all over again?

He's got me confused?

When bringing a new object into a Grey range of sight, or changing a room or moving furniture or cage, a GREY can "FREAK OUT", sometimes they never get use to it. It can be a simple object, it sounds to me , the TV is the culprit. To bring or move something in the home, sometime you have to take you bird to another room, then slowly introduce them to the change slowly.

Jayd