NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bad Bird, Bad Bird, Whatcha Gonna Do?

Elvenking

So last night Issac decided he would test my patience, and test his boundries. There are things that i do not want him getting in. Don't eat my plants, don't pick the keys off my key board, not the picture frames, please don't bite the seal on the fridge door EVERY time I open it...no not the grille on my speaker not the caps to the food items I am trying to prepare for you...and so on. LOL.

One of these things at any one time can be tollerable, but sometimes he just makes a round to everything i don't want him to get into. And what's more, he will try to bite me after I have taken say...the Enter key from my keyboard away from him. So he got time-out twice last night. (Two two minute stints...hardcore right?) I figure him for a fast learner and if he just kept at it...the time might get longer. It's usually in the first hour of freedom when I get home that he is really...let's say playful. I don't want to make him upset by removing from him the things that I don't want him to chew, but I can;t keep everything out of his reach and live normally at the same time.

I know one member that institutes a three strike rule, and that seems to be a good approach, but how do you handle your Grey when they just want to get into everything they shouldn't?

He looks so innocent eh? 'Who me, a bad birdie??? Nahhhhhhhhh.'

IMG_1275.jpg

Here is my opinion about your post. Parrots are VERY intelligent creatures. It is important that you adapt your living environment to your parrot and not the other way around. He's being a "normal parrot. If you don't want him to touch or damage something, remove it or put it away temporarily.

Do you have any out of cage hanging gyms for him with lots of entertaining toys that he can call his very own? I can understand his need to race around the place during his first hour of freedom at the end of your work day. I'd like to recommend spending some quality time with him when you arrive home from work... I think he needs one on one QUALITY attention from you for a little bit. I'm sure he missed you all day.

Afterwards you can concentrate on dinner or what not. jmo

Edited by lovethatgrey

When i am home...I spend a grand portion of time paying attention to Issac. Now he does have an Atom and a play area that literally goes from the floor to the roof and I rotate toys all the time. I am due to get some more soon here though. But yes he has all kinds of toys. I know he is being a normal parrot. Finding toys that keep him engaged....now that is a tough one. I am going to try to get some toddler toys and see if he likes those. I would say that I am making good efforts all around..and I am not complaining here...I am just looking for solutions on how to be a good bird dad. To say that I need to spend quality time...I think I do that...please elaborate on how I should do this if you have ideas...I am all ears. I even go out of my way to be home with him and give him as much out-time as I can possibly do...usually 5-8 hours a day....he is a free bird. Am I missing the boat...how else do i spend quality time with my baby. I love him up so much...I don't know what else to do. I hope I didn't make it seem like he is a trouble bird...he really isn't. He's just the bird I expect. I just really want to find what keeps him happy and give him enough outlets for his desires. That is the kind of information I need.

My guess after thinking about it is that I simply need to find things that engage him. When i see him going for things he shouldn't, I don;t just want to say no but I want to give him something as a fun alternative to do. If anyone finds this easy or even manageable on a regular basis...please tell me how you do it. I have managed it up to this point with nary too tough an issue...but lately he seems....hyper...lol. Do you think I really just need to get him some more toys? Maybe. I am hitting the stores tomorrow. You know I want this bird to be happy, I fly special foods in from all over just to give him stuff he loves.

Did you know that I love this bird?

;)

Edited by Elvenking

One other thing...the title is a joke...Issac is not a 'Bad Bird'. I just was trying to be funny ;) I will actually joke with him and sing the "bad boy" song as bad bird to be playful when he gets into trouble.

Edited by Elvenking

I think they can all be little trouble makers if given the chance, very curious little creatures :)

Murphy has a thing for remote controls at the moment. If he's on my chest at night having a cuddle he just decides to go a little mission after the remote controls. It's the buttons he's after, he tries to remove them & no matter how many times I say "no" he persists. I just move them to the table & turn them upside down so he can't get the buttons.

I agree with Adina - you have to really change your home to accommodate your grey. I have had to throw certain plants out that I know are harmful, I've had to buy door stops, just to ensure that the doors can't move when he is on them (I shudder as I can remember all too clear the bird whose feet were amputated due to a slamming door). My windows were once flung open, now they stay shut. I could go on forever - but my home has DRASTICALLY changed since number one trouble maker came here! You don't need to apologise for calling Isaac a bad bird - you're just in practice for when he actually is (it won't be long until baby grows up)!

I have had a terrible time with Harvey lately, and I did adopt Lyn's three strikes and you're out policy - and I have to say - it works wonders! I just take him back to his cage, only for a few minutes, but his anger has subsided - these visits are much less at the moment as I have an absolute angel living with me - but I'm still prepared for the turn!!

Isaac is still very, very young, and is now starting to branch out and try and assert a bit of that pent up authority he is harbouring!

Unfortunately, you can do nothing to quell that curiosity and burning desire a Grey has for whatever item it is. When the inevitable moment in time comes that they see that place or item, they will go for it.

Not only is the item exciting to them, so are the the actions we perform and they react to. I can not count the times over the last three years I have gone to the same place, same item and told Dayo no and removed him or taken the forbidden item away.

I guarantee you that cage time outs, loud NOOOOoooooooo's (I've screamed at the top of my lungs in desperation and frustration), a million retrievals etc. will ever stop the desire and thrill they get out of whatever it is.

Now, we do our best here to either make forbidden items unavailable, covered or in our possession so he can not get to them. You may have noticed in some of my videos, the refrigerator has a large towel draped over the top. Thats due to the same issue you have. Dayo loves landing there and would at times chew the rubber door seal.

I will say, punishment and cage time outs will not quench the desire for forbidden fruit at all. Also, yes, when I try to take an item away from Dayo, say a pair of nail clippers, he does his best football moves, ducks, weaves, runs, fly's, beak to foot, beak to foot, and sooner or later normally nails me, many times as I am turning around and he fly's down and gives a tear rendering pinch right in the back of the neck.

I now sneak things like that out and use them when or where he can not see me or he'll drive you nuts trying to get them. :P

So good luck in your learning process of dealing with a normal parrot thats loves to get into stuff just like a young human child, oh...don't blink, they are into something again. :)

Edited by danmcq

Ana Grey likes to be with me a lot except when she is pestering my ekkie Sully and stealing his food. When Ana Grey is being a little pill, I just exercise her. I put her on my arm and gently launch her off so that she must fly to her window perch, playtop, boing or cargo net depending on what room we are in. She likes to maneuver around in a loop and come back to me and I just launch her again. She eventually gets tired gets a treat and everyone can relax and enjoy some quiet time. The point is to do something with my grey to give the excess energy somewhere to go. For us the mini-flights work.

In that case, keep doing all of the wonderful things that you are already doing. I guess this is what being a parront is about. There are times when I can't do what I need to do and look keep an eye on Emma either. She's a wonderful companion parrot but has her days where she is quite a handful.

During those moments, I insist that Emma stays in her cage for her own good.. no ifs about it.

I let her out once I can keep a better eye on her.

When i am home...I spend a grand portion of time paying attention to Issac. Now he does have an Atom and a play area that literally goes from the floor to the roof and I rotate toys all the time. I am due to get some more soon here though. But yes he has all kinds of toys. I know he is being a normal parrot. Finding toys that keep him engaged....now that is a tough one. I am going to try to get some toddler toys and see if he likes those. I would say that I am making good efforts all around..and I am not complaining here...I am just looking for solutions on how to be a good bird dad. To say that I need to spend quality time...I think I do that...please elaborate on how I should do this if you have ideas...I am all ears. I even go out of my way to be home with him and give him as much out-time as I can possibly do...usually 5-8 hours a day....he is a free bird. Am I missing the boat...how else do i spend quality time with my baby. I love him up so much...I don't know what else to do. I hope I didn't make it seem like he is a trouble bird...he really isn't. He's just the bird I expect. I just really want to find what keeps him happy and give him enough outlets for his desires. That is the kind of information I need.

My guess after thinking about it is that I simply need to find things that engage him. When i see him going for things he shouldn't, I don;t just want to say no but I want to give him something as a fun alternative to do. If anyone finds this easy or even manageable on a regular basis...please tell me how you do it. I have managed it up to this point with nary too tough an issue...but lately he seems....hyper...lol. Do you think I really just need to get him some more toys? Maybe. I am hitting the stores tomorrow. You know I want this bird to be happy, I fly special foods in from all over just to give him stuff he loves.

Did you know that I love this bird?

;)

Spock here, There's nothing you can do, I think, there for I am, can you fly? We know ahead of time what your next move is going to be, we anticipate!!! A quick beak and we're off to our next venture.. Haven't you seen me plan? I sit there rambling while you comment on how cute I am, I'm aiming for that ink pen...[you know they taste different when you remove the ink!] Ha Ha, your the one's who wanted us to think in the first place! The funnest move is "intended poop" When you try to discourage us from our task, we don't give up, we poop on purpose, and laugh when you say "Ohhh, you had a accident" LOL, We learn from watching, and guess who we watch?

Spock

P.S. Were training you........

Unfortunately, you can do nothing to quell that curiosity and burning desire a Grey has for whatever item it is. When the inevitable moment in time comes that they see that place or item, they will go for it.

Not only is the item exciting to them, so are the the actions we perform and they react to. I can not count the times over the last three years I have gone to the same place, same item and told Dayo no and removed him or taken the forbidden item away.

I guarantee you that cage time outs, loud NOOOOoooooooo's (I've screamed at the top of my lungs in desperation and frustration), a million retrievals etc. will ever stop the desire and thrill they get out of whatever it is.

Now, we do our best here to either make forbidden items unavailable, covered or in our possession so he can not get to them. You may have noticed in some of my videos, the refrigerator has a large towel draped over the top. Thats due to the same issue you have. Dayo loves landing there and would at times chew the rubber door seal.

I will say, punishment and cage time outs will not quench the desire for forbidden fruit at all. Also, yes, when I try to take an item away from Dayo, say a pair of nail clippers, he does his best football moves, ducks, weaves, runs, fly's, beak to foot, beak to foot, and sooner or later normally nails me, many times as I am turning around and he fly's down and gives a tear rendering pinch right in the back of the neck.

I now sneak things like that out and use them when or where he can not see me or he'll drive you nuts trying to get them. :P

So good luck in your learning process of dealing with a normal parrot thats loves to get into stuff just like a young human child, oh...don't blink, they are into something again. :)

I am pretty lenient with most items, sometimes I am just tired so I say...go ahead...tear that thing up...just give me 10 minutes. But certain things I can't limit....like the refrigerator seal. He is absolutely...100% on that fridge or freezer door the very second it is opened. Occasionally I have to pry his beak from it just so I can close the door again. I simply cannot allow it. Today he seems like his typical self. Gets into the occasional no-no...but way more manageable than the other day.

One other thing, I always see videos of birds just hanging out on their play areas and not really flying around too much. Is this just a peaceful slice of video that I see in a day that is otherwise filled with tons of flying? I pretty much don't limit where Issac can go. His new favorite place is the top of my sliding door blinds. He has discovered that it is nice and high up and it's a good place to sing too. Issac is typically not a hang-out-on-my-play-area bird until he gets a little tired and want to spend some time preening. (Which incidentally, he is doing right this very moment.)

I am headed out to find more entertainment for him. I am going to try colorful baby toys and also hit the bird store too. Hopefully I can spark his interest. I heard that I should get him a bell too...so I will pick one of those up.

This isn't the first time I hear about a parrot being attracted to the seal on the fridge. If I were in your situation, I would probably place something up there that he was frightened of to deter him. I hope you are able to find something that he finds alot more interesting than the fridge and the blinds.

On my end .. Emma tends to get herself into alot of forbidden spots when she feels that my full attention isn't on her.

Hope that helps.

Yes, in the first hour I am home....I do not attempt to engage myself in anything other than Issac.. He would just never let that happen. So I talk and play with him. Just got back from the bird store with a lot of new goodies to deck out his play area. He is currently enjoying a couple of them now. I think this will curb his curiosity for a while. He is currently as happy as a clam with some little wooden toys. And I haven't even shown him anything else yet....I have some things I know he is going to love. Thanks for the replies. :)

Ana Grey likes to be with me a lot except when she is pestering my ekkie Sully and stealing his food. When Ana Grey is being a little pill, I just exercise her. I put her on my arm and gently launch her off so that she must fly to her window perch, playtop, boing or cargo net depending on what room we are in. She likes to maneuver around in a loop and come back to me and I just launch her again. She eventually gets tired gets a treat and everyone can relax and enjoy some quiet time. The point is to do something with my grey to give the excess energy somewhere to go. For us the mini-flights work.

This is a great tip. Issac is super content on this saturday...as I have spent tons of time with him today and he has had tons of out time. He is a perfect angel right now. I got him some really chewable toys that I knew he would like....and he is all over em. He is perched on my shoulder preeening an raining little white feathers on me...which I do not mind at all...I love him with alllll of my heart. My little baby just needs more outlets. I will try to keep him flying like you say you do...great idea. Thanks. :)

If you don't want him perching & flying about everywhere you have to teach him what's an ok perch & whats not. I have been doing it with Murphy all through his flight training with some success. He has now stopped landing on my expensive flat screen TV, house plants, tops of doors etc. They are naturally curious mischievous little creatures & that's one aspect that we all love about them but they do need to respect your house as well.

When Murphy lands somewhere I don't want like the TV, I shoo him off with the "Off there" command & then praise when he lands on an acceptable perch like his play stand. It's took about four weeks but now when he goes for a fly he returns to his stand every time :) You have to be persistent & do it every time he lands on the fridge door for example, it won't take Issac long to learn. I still have lots more training to be done but overtime I'm sure I will get there, you will too.

I keep a T-stand downstairs (the playstand is upstairs) where we watch TV. If Tobie gets too persistant in trying to chew something he shouldn't (persistant isn't a stong enough word) he has time out on the T-stand. For some reason he usually forgets what he was doing by the time I bring him back to the couch. Also - this might not work when he remembers he can now fly. He hasn't figured out that he can just fly off the T-stand yet.

Steven, I think you are doing everything you should for Isaac, and Isaac is just being a normal, inquisitve grey - who is just starting to push boundaries! I have suspected for sometime that you love this bird, and heavens, Isaac gets more out of cage time than a lot of birds do. You are dead right though about not just wanting to say "no" to all the forbidden stuff that Isaac has his eye on, but instead, wanting to give him something in it's place. All greys develop differnetly though, and one thing I have observed with Alfie is this. For the last year and a half, Alfie has had no attention span whatsoever, so trying to teach her something to take her mind of whatever she has her eye on at the time has been a non starter - until recently. This might not be the case with Isaac, so instead of giving him a new toy, why not try actually teaching him something, like wave hello or fetch, or whatever. The other thing, Alfie is not into her toys at all. She will play with them when she feels like it, but not very often. She has hundreds of toys that I rotate regularly, but she hardly plays with them, and can go for weeks without playing with any toy at all. She will play with toys that are inside her cage 4 or 5 times more than she will play with them when they are out of it. In light of this, when she is in "one of those" moods when absolutely everything is on her hit list, I put her in her cage and she goes round every single toy in there and knock seven bells out of it!

I have used time outs for Alfie in her travel cage, but that's just for biting. She hasn't bitten in months. :)

As for keeping Isaac off of stuff that you really don't want him on, like the fridge seal (one of Alfie's favourites too) try hanging something unusual there - like a sock adorning your favourite picture, or a hat on the fridge! Some members have had great success with the old "sock on the door" trick!

I'm not saying any of this stuff will work for Isaac, but it's always something else to try!

Good luck, with this, the next phase in Issacs development. Just enjoy it, for he'll soon move on to the next!!