NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Little Nilah History

Talon

Yesterday, I spoke with the Bird of Paradise store that I bought Nilah from, and was telling them how impressed I was by her talking abilities at such a young age and what a wonderful bird she is. The woman I spoke with asked me if she was a VAT or BAT...........:confused: I said, " she's a yellow crowned amazon". She giggled and said,

"NO, what does her band say?" I quickly looked at her paperwork and said, "oh, it says "VAT". She said, "OH, that's my good friend Vicki, she has really nice birds". I said I agreed and then she told me Nilah is from Mississippi! I was so excited to have her birthplace and a little history from her hatch day! ;)

I HIGHLY recommend anyone looking to bring a bird into their family to go to the Bird of Paradise store in New Jersey. All their birds are hand raised, handled all day by many different people and customers. They are all from chosen breeders that they hand pick to do business with. Most birds are never caged, they are out in the open for you to pick up and play with. They even have a sitting room set up like a large living room with many comfy chairs and couches, perches, tables, toys for you to spend hours with your bird until the day you are able to take it home. All birds are vet checked and tested for disease before they are brought out into the living portion of their store. Others are kept in the Hospital. They have a nursery, a huge boarding room, rooms and rooms of toys, perches, food, cages, swings, etc.

Everyone wanting to purchase a bird is scrutinized, and questioned about many things, family, living conditions etc. They explain the needs and care of each individual bird, if they are known to bite, get aggressive, talk, their attention requirements. They are not out to SELL you a bird, they want to be certain that YOU will be their FOREVER home. After purchasing your bird, they are weighed and you are required, ( or they will call you) to call them 3 days later with their weight once you are home. If the bird drops too much weight, they want you to bring the bird back for a day or two to up their weight again.

This store is enormous! Many employees work there, but all are bird lovers, they are kind, will answer all questions, and truly care about the hundreds of birds they have there. You are treated with the utmost respect as a customer. It is worth the trip just to see their facility. When I went there, I was overwhelmed, it was like walking into Disney World for the first time. Rooms and rooms of birds, toys, etc. It was a 5 hour trip for me one way, I will definitely be going there again. But walking out of there without a bird is sooooo difficult, that is what has kept me away for now.....:rolleyes:

Here is the link for their store, check it out and see just some of what they are about! even Irene Pepperburg among others has given lectures there.

http://bird-paradise.biz/

• Haha 1

What a great story.

Bird Paradise is pretty much a one of a kind.

I wish all the large petstores would model after them. It is not only good for the birds, it's good for the people too in an educational sense.

Thanks for sharing this Penny! :)

Thanks for this Penny. The Bird of Paradise store sounds fantastic. I wish I could go see it. Nilah must be a very clever and lovely amazon. I hope this site calms down enough soon so you will have more time to tell us more about Nilah, Talon and Rikki. Great photos of your flock in your signature line!

What a great place! We have nothing like that here - perhaps one day! You must be delighted that they are such caring, sharing people - and learning that bit of history about Nilah is priceless! I agree with Janet - put the website "pen" down - and get posting some pictures!!!