NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Paco's 3rd Vet Visit

Xtreme575

Today I took Paco to the vet again. This time I was able to take him to British Columbia's foremost avian authority. As I expected, she did all of the regular tests, blood, bile, CDI, etc., and interestingly enough, he did have some fluid on his crop which she has sent away for analysis.

If this fluid ends up being anything, I gotta say, I'm going to be chocked. I asked the previous vet that I saw to do all the same tests I got today, and to do some tests on his crop as I was worried that he may have an infection or some other damage from before I got him. Hopefully we are a step closer to figuring out the chewing of his feathers under his crop.

Also, I found it interesting that the vet also requested that I stop allowing him on my shoulder. She explained that Greys will often use our heads as a shield to the world to protect themselves by hiding behind our noggins rather than being forced to face the world. I thought this was an interesting theory, and one that could make sense. After seeing how well Paco was interacting with a technician when I picked him up, I couldn't really argue. Rather than just being on my shoulder, he was really interactive with her, and was fully engaged. I'm going to try...

Well, after facing the bill today, I need to either get another job, or follow Jill's suggestion and sell a kidney. Oh well, he's worth it, I'll just have to tighten my belt somewhere else, like food for me! Ha ha! I'd eat pellets, but they are to expensive!

Anyway, I should find out in two weeks what the results are, but I really am hoping that we can solve this feather chewing!!!

Also, any suggestions on how to get going on towel training? Apparently he really gave the vet and her techs a run for their money... Ooops! I'll need to work on that.

I'm sure that this vet will get to the bottom of the problem with Paco Ryan - try not to worry too much (which I know is difficult)!

With regards the shoulder thing - pah!

With regards the towel training - I play "peek a boo" with Harvey with a soft fleecy blanket. At first I merely showed it to him, lifting it up and down in front of him - now I just throw it over him! He doesn't mind at all and finds it a bit of a lark!

If you're going to go down the line of eating the pellets - adding a bit of gravy will make all of the difference - but if it does get to that point, I am sure we can all club together and send you a food parcel!!

Fingers crossed all tests are good ~ I'm sure they will be :D

I echo Jill's sentiments, fingered crossed that all Paco's tests will lead to the culprit of Paco's chest plucking problems. You're a good parront Ryan and remember a little fasting is good for the soul. (So I've been told)

P.S. I would stir clear of Jacarual's blueberry pie, I know the secret ingredient and trust me you won't like it!

Edited by luvparrots

I hope you get to the bottom of this. It took me quite a few vet visits with Charlie until I got the answer to Charlie's plucking problem.It turned out to be a feather follicle infection which is now well under control and being treated with anti biotics and pain killers. Keep at it untill you know for sure.

Jacarual, brief history, I purchased Paco at 3 months, I was on the list for the clutch after Paco's, but the woman who was going to purchase him broke her hip, so it was an opportunity that I didn't want to let go by, I was all set up to adopt a grey already! In any event, I didn't have an opportunity to meet Paco prior to adopting him, the breeder had told me that he had some "feather damage" due to sticking his head between the cage bars in a cage that had to large of spacing, as well as from fighting with his brother. As inexperienced as I was, I took this at face value, and picked up Paco.

It struck me immediately that the feather damage was in a straight line across the top of his chest only. I saw a vet who specializes in exotic pets (locally), twice. The first time without research, the second with research, and a specific request to have all the tests done, and a request to check for crop damage/infection. He assured me that it was psychological and not physical, but did not perform the tests I requested.

I have finally been able to take some time off week to make the trip to see the "true" avian vet. So, no, he isn't exhibiting any signs of illness, just the feather chewing that leaves him with a shredded, downy look to his chest.

Thanks for the votes of confidence all. I have to admit, they did shake my confidence a bit yesterday when they told me that I had a "very paranoid" little bird. I felt as though I was responsible for not being sympathetic enough to his needs, or not introducing him to enough events. But the more I think about it, I can't imagine him having more "outings" than he gets, and he always seems to enjoy them. Nor is he timid or shy around the house. I think he knew he was going to get non-fun things done to him!