NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Seed mix? Opinions and a question about feeding amounts.

carriekinz

Our new Grey came with two bags of seed mixes--two different brands (I'll have to check the names tomorrow, they are upstairs). I was wondering how many of you feed these seed mixes. Would I be better off switching to pellets? Pros and cons of each?

And, according to the packages, I should be feeding about 1/2 cup per day. That seems too little, no? I have been putting about a cup in and it lasts about a day and a half before he has picked through and taken what he wants. (Of course I am also giving fruits and veggies.)

I give my Grey Kaytee Fiesta Blend seed mix. It has good quality seeds, nuts, almonds in the shell, some nutriberries, died fruit etc. in it.

I also provide a bowl of vegetables, a bowl of harrisons pellets and of course a bowl of water.

He migrates between all of the when he fancies.

In my opinion, a grey will not over eat, some species such as Amazons will.

i give my fids Pretty Bird specifically for their breed (for african greys for Ana Grey) and (for eclectus for Sully) daily. I also always keep freeze dried broccoli, corn, spinach in their cages. They also get dried mango and banana. I alternate between fresh vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cucumber, squash, radishes) and a mix of frozen beans and pasta and vegetables (mix up my own then freeze) every other day. I also mix up my own seeds (safflower, oats, corn) which I give to them in the evening before lights out. They also get alternately shelled peanuts, pine nuts, walnuts, pecans and homemade mini-muffins full of nuts and raisin as treats. I don't find that my fids overeat and I don't measure their food out. I just feed what I feel they might need at the time.

Thanks everyone, for your replies.

The bags of food are:

Kaytee Fiesta Max

Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health

and we picked up:

Vitakraft Menu for Vitality (to mix in with the more expensive grub above)

Approximately how much (cups-wise) fruit and veggies would be appropriate for our 3 year old Grey, in addition to the seed mixes above?

(I think I'm putting too much food in the cage--1 cup that lasts 1 1/2 days approximately. Maybe I should give 1/2 cup a day or 1/2 cup then only add a bit more if he's gone through most of it?)

I put approximately a cup of veggies each day. The reason so much? Waste... I always mix up Broccoli, carrots, legumes, oat groats, Yam, Kale etc. He will rummage through and toss what he does not want that day, take a nibble out of say a carrot, toss it, then pick up another carrot, nibble toss.....you get the picture.

Also, I throw away all veggies or fruit not eaten in a few hours. I would not reccomend trying to save it by placing it back in the fridge. Fruit like apple, grapes etc. I only give a small portion 2 to 3 times a week mixed in with his veggies.

Seed, I fill the large stainless bowl about half way, He eats what he wants out of it and I toss it the next morning and refill again. Why, same reasons as above, he will eat different seeds, nuts, dried fruit etc. one day out of it and leave the rest or drop it through the grate or toss it out to the dogs. :)

LOL Yes, this little guy likes to give our dogs treats as well. Yesterday he dropped an almond on the floor...our Mastiff puppy tiptoed over and carefully picked it up. As she was sneaking away the bird says "I love you!" as though he tossed it out on purpose. Priceless.