NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Grey Rules the Roost!

Journeyman

My almost 3 year old male CAG has been coming out of his cage for a few months now, and I thought it was pretty cute, and our relationship soared to new heights. However, he's been so used to coming out when I'm home (and our relationship soaring), he's starting to take advantage of me. I know I'm letting him, I'm just now trying to work with him on some boundaries. First of all, he's flighted (and staying that way) and does a tremendous job of flying around our one bedroom apartment. I secured perches around where I usually am, at any given time, in the apartment. I have one perch in the kitchen and one in the living room. He has a Manzanita tree I roll out for him in the living room next to his cage when he comes out and a 3'x4' play-net secured to the ceiling above his tree. He amused and satisfied with the arrangement, so far. My problem is lately, when I'm out of the apartment too long (usually for more than 4 hours) I'll find him out of his cage, either on one of his perches or on his tree. God only knows how long he's been out, and what he's been up to. I've adopted a 9 1/2 year old domestic short-hair cat, named Sylvester, this January. He and Cosmo (that's my male CAG's name) seem to get along fine. The cat respects Cosmo and Cosmo, well... let's just say he gets a kick out of the cat. :) I've tried everything to keep Cosmo from coming out as he wishes. (I don't want to get into detail, however I have some pretty amazing stories that back-up a Congo African Grey's intelligence) I've included some pictures, if they are upload-able. I don't want to "lock him down" for 2 reasons; 1. The more secure I have to keep his cage, the harder it is for me to work in the cage, i.e. feeding, cleaning... and 2. I'm afraid if I had my way, where he only comes out via my assistance (like it used to be) by somehow preventing him from coming out on his own AND maintaining some ease of taking care of his caged needs, I'd destroy our relationship that we had ever since he was a baby. Besides, who would come over my place to take care of a CAG who can (and will) come out of his cage at anytime? This is why I don't go on any vacations. This could also be a serious problem if, let's say, I had to go to the hospital. I don't live with any roommates that are human. So... does anyone have any feed back?

Thank for reading.

Cosmos Cage Low1..jpg

Manzita low..jpg

SBCkeylesscagelock.jpgthis is a cage lock, I have them on all of my birds cages, especially Rene my CAG he is an escape artist himself!!, I have one on his door and play top door, and I also have to tighten the screws for the food dishes with a screwdriver to prevent him from escaping through the food holes!, also he likes to move his grate at the bottom of the cage so that has a lock on it also.

ps. I have to put 2 on the front door of his cage the bars are thick there so one lock doesnt fit around them. I will try to snap a photo to show you what I mean.

http://www.windycityparrot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60101791001&gdftrk=gdfV21151_a_7c369_a_7c1858_a_7c60101791001

You didn't say how your grey escapes. If he can unlatch the door, I agree I would lock it. You can always take the locks off when you are home. I personal never trust different species of animals together without an adult around, anything can happen or be misunderstood between them. By the way, I love Cosmo's cage.

We lock Dayo's cage for the same reason.

It is just too dangerous in my opinion for a parrot to be out unsupervised. If my bird gets an attitude over that, so be it. I would rather have a living birds when I get home, rather than the alternative.

There are many things dangerous to a bird, like power cords for one (They love chewing on) that would mean instant death if bitten through.

I am not being mean, just honest regarding my thoughts on this. :)

Yip! Me too - Harvey "escaped" when he was very young - I'd put him in his cage to go and get ready to go out. I cam downstairs, and there he was, sitting on the bannister of the stairs. I use cage locks too - I would HATE to think what would happen if Harvey was unsupervised around my home. Not to mention the destruction - the electrical cables and gadgets would surely kill him - that along with plants that I have which are "available" when I'm not home (the doors are shut when Harvey's out).

Get that cage locked!!! :)

I met someone with a 21 year old CAG who told me that he had never closed the door to his CAG's cage one in the birds life. I thought I'd give it a try, especially considering that mine is clipped, and I have no pets. It was ok until I came home to find an empty cage, I started to call out nearly losing my mind in the process until I heard a whistle from my kitchen. Paco was unhappily nested on an area rug in my kitchen. Upon closer examination I noticed that I had a pair of shoes shredded, my floors, including my cream coloured bedroom carpet were all covered in bird shit, it was a horrible mess.

In hindsight, it was a stupid move on my part, and I don't leave Paco out for any short periods now either. I have learned my lesson and won't be repeating the freedom test again, I'm really lucky that I came home to a living bird. Their cage needs to be their safe place, and they must be secured in that place, especially when there is another pet or poisonous plant in the home.

I've tried that. I've tried every lock I can think of. I have a Master lock on the door now. He's figured out how to open the door from it's hinges. He unscrews either bolt with his beak, then it falls open. He's even figured out how to open the food station doors by swinging the latch open from the inside of the cage using the very, very tip of his beak. (He's extremely smart!) Don't get me wrong, he's a sweetheart. It's just that I've been battling wits with him for years and I'm looking for some new ideas so I can go out of the apartment with some peace of mind without destroying our wonderful relationship.

I know. I have the same problem, it's just that I've never left the cage door open, ever. I don't know if I have a Grey that's genetically super-smart, I can tell stories that might astound you. I've asked everyone I know, and they give me obvious answers. Then I tell them what Cosmo is able to do, and they look at me like I'm crazy. I've tried every lock I can think of. I have a Master lock on the door now. He's figured out how to open the door from it's hinges. He unscrews either bolt with his beak, then it falls open. He's even figured out how to open the food station doors by swinging the latch from the inside of the cage using the very, very tip of his beak. (He's extremely smart!) Don't get me wrong, he's a sweetheart. It's just that I've been battling wits with him for years and I'm looking for some new ideas so I can go out of the apartment with some peace of mind without destroying our wonderful relationship.

I don't know if I have a Grey that's genetically super-smart, I can tell stories that might astound you. I've asked everyone I know, and they give me obvious answers. Then I tell them what Cosmo is able to do, and they look at me like I'm crazy. I've tried every lock I can think of. I have a Master lock on the door now. He's figured out how to open the door from it's hinges. He unscrews either bolt with his beak, then it falls open. He's even figured out how to open the food station doors by swinging the latch from the inside of the cage using the very, very tip of his beak. (He's extremely smart!) Don't get me wrong, he's a sweetheart. It's just that I've been battling wits with him for years and I'm looking for some new ideas so I can go out of the apartment with some peace of mind without destroying our wonderful relationship.

How about a combination lock. I doubt your grey can open that.... unless you give him the combination.

I need help, so my Grey doen't hurt himself, not wise cracks. I did not say he opens the cage door with the key to the Master lock that I put on, I said "He's figured out how to open the door from it's hinges. He unscrews either bolt with his beak, then it falls open."

• Confused 1

Pardon me Rick, I thought you were talking about hinges on the lock as you didn't provide a picture of your particular lock. I have an EZCare cage which I got from PetSolutions.com. It's hinges are covered front and back so a parrot cannot open the door hinges. The food bowls are enclosed in a sort of a mini-cage and the outside latch is a deadbolt which you can side into a notch so it just won't slide easily. Perhaps your parrot wouldn't be able to reach and open these.

004-15-1.jpg001-24-1.jpg

Edited by luvparrots

If he is opening the door from it's hinges by undoing the bolts then I have the answer. Take out the bolts, get some thread lock & put that on the threads of the bolt & tighten it up. Once the thread lock is set he should not be able to undo the bolts. I was out yesterday trying to undo some bolts on my Land Rover & the previous owner used thread lock & I had a nightmare getting the bolts undone & I'm extremely strong.

Oh & wow that is one smart parrot, I guess it's only a matter of time before mine figures it out. My cage door is easy to open :eek:

Edited by reggieroo

That sounds like a good idea Reggieroo.

Rick I have tooo say, i think you have been given good advice here. It is simply too dangerous to let your bird wander around when you are not home, and I would think all you have to do to secure the doors is padlock them - a couple along the top of the main door and some more down the sides will keep the door in place even if he does manage to unhinge it. He does sound like a pickle!! Keep us posted on how you come on.

My suggestion is maybe it is time to get a new cage, there are some good ones out there that may cost you a bundle but will do the job, I am lucky that my grey is not an escape artist but do a little research to find a cage that will serve your purposes.

This is a picture of Cosmo's cage. It's a 40"x30"x72" "Preview" cage with 5 food station that are outside accessible. I've tried everything I can think of. I've had Cosmo for 3 years. I'm not stupid, so don't post any replies that suggest that my cage isn't good enough or that I don't know how tom take care of an African Grey. I don't know if there's a communication gap, but please, stop posting how important it is to secure a cage, or that my cage isn't secure enough... If you don't relate to my problem, don't reply. I need a reply from someone who has enough experience with an African Grey by owning one for at least a couple of years. No offense.

Cosmos Cage Low1..jpg

This is a picture of Cosmo's cage. It's a 40"x30"x72" "Preview" cage with 5 food station that are outside accessible. I've tried everything I can think of. I've had Cosmo for 3 years. I'm not stupid, so don't post any replies that suggest that my cage isn't good enough or that I don't know how tom take care of an African Grey. I don't know if there's a communication gap, but please, stop posting how important it is to secure a cage, or that my cage isn't secure enough... If you don't relate to my problem, don't reply. I need a reply from someone who has enough experience with an African Grey by owning one for at least a couple of years. No offense.

Journeyman: You posted the same posts 3 times, you start another thread in which you complain about not getting enough responses to your problem which wasn't completely clear in your first thread here, now you tell members NOT to reply if they can't help you???? This is a forum where members are free to post their opinions if they like and wherever they like. If you ask for help. take it if you want. or don't take it, I don't care, but DON"T reprimand people for taking the time out of their busy lives,who are only offering suggestions and TRYING to help you. If you don't like what you read, then ignore it, but don't SCOLD anyone.

Thanks for the idea. I've tried that and unfortunately over time, Cosmo's able to loosen the bolts anyway. He's a real sweet heart. He just wants to be with me always! I love him and yes, he is smart. One time I bought a puzzle toy for him, it was called "Tiki Takeout". You put a treat in from underneath the hut via a hidden door that has a latch that opens the door using a dime, then you put in 4 wooden dowels to keep the treat in the hut. The parrot can only get the treat by gnawing through the wooden dowels., or so this is how the puzzle is supposed to work. I put the treat and dowels in the hut out of Cosmo's sight, mind you. When I put the hut in his cage, Cosmo inspected it, saw there was a door on the bottom, found the latch and turned the latch with his beak, out comes the treat, dowels and all. It took him 15 seconds to discover he didn't have to chew through the dowels to get to the treat. End of puzzle, it's like that with Cosmo, he IS amazing. He also talks to me with a level of rationale. He tells me when it's "Time to take a nap"...It's time for sleep", and if I make too much noise when he's sleeping, he gets mad and says, "Be quiet, for Christs sake, it's time for sleep". He also reminds me to "Go get the mail" (somehow he can tell what time the mail comes, around 3:00PM. If he didn't see me leave out of my front door when I say, "I'm going to get the mail", he'll remind me! I swear to God!). I enclosed a picture of Cosmo's cage. It's a 40"x30"x72" preview cage.

Cosmos Cage Low1..jpg

No. problem. No hard feelings and I hope you find some one here that can help you. :)

I hope so. I love Cosmo (that's my almost 3 year old CAG). He's been coming out of his cage these past 3 months on his own, not that I want him to nor condone it. I've tried everything from pad locks to small chains...everything I can think of. I have an expensive 40 inch long, 30 inch deep, 72 inch high at the dome presentation cage. The kind pet shops use, however it's brass plated (not plexiglass). It could be inconvienient when I'm home, disastrous if I'm not. I think you can understand my delema.

Okay so now we all know you want to keep your present cage. Rick how much do the nuts on the hinges stick out? How about some heavy duty magnets. I have some that I use on my refrigerator that stick firmly. Perhaps Cosmo wouldn't be able to remove these or something like them from over the nuts. I, of course, am only guessing at solutions because I have no idea what these hinges look like.

These pictures are top and bottom of a single magnet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18134[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18135[/ATTACH]002-24-1.jpg001-25.jpg

Edited by luvparrots

Okay so now we all know you want to keep your present cage. Rick how much do the nuts on the hinges stick out? How about some heavy duty magnets. I have some that I use on my refrigerator that stick firmly. Perhaps Cosmo wouldn't be able to remove these or something like them from over the nuts. I, of course, am only guessing at solutions because I have no idea what these hinges look like.

These pictures are top and bottom of a single magnet.

Attachment 18134Attachment 18135

I don't know why my reply posted before I had a chance to insert a picture. I guess I have to get used to the new website...

Talon, When I click on the attachment link it gives me "Invalid attachment specified". The hinges are just one nut and bolt on top and bottom of the door, straight-bolted through the top rectangular bar into the top rectangular bar on the cage, and visa versa on the bottom of the door. I attached a picture that I just took, Cosmo jumped in to show you the type of hinge too..

Cosmo helps Rick show Talon the hinges..jpg

I don't know why my reply posted before I had a chance to insert a picture. I guess I have to get used to the new website...

Talon, When I click on the attachment link it gives me "Invalid attachment specified". The hinges are just one nut and bolt on top and bottom of the door, straight-bolted through the top rectangular bar into the top rectangular bar on the cage, and visa versa on the bottom of the door. I attached a picture that I just took, Cosmo jumped in to show you the type of hinge too..

You have to hammer the end of the bolt so that it kind of mushrooms out and does not allow the nut to be undone. Or get a lock nut..I can think of many things that would work. In the end, you are looking for something that requires strength, not wits to open.