NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Strawberries Stink!

Xtreme575

So this morning Paco and I had to make a road trip. Rather than holding us up I decided to offer him breakfast in his travel cage, figuring it would give him something to do while we made the hour long trip to my campus to pick-up the books I need for the upcoming semester.

I offered him peppers, brocolli, different lettuces, carrots, spinach and decided that I'd give him a treat so I cut up one small small strawberry to mix in for a bit of a change and to add some sweetness to his usual breakfast.

We made the trip, I think it was enjoyable for both of us, and Paco devoured his breakfast. Upon delivering him home, I put his travel cage in the spare bedroom and went out to do some shopping. Later, while Paco and I were hanging out together on the couch I noticed a foul smell that reminded me of the sour smell of brocolli/cauliflower fileds in the fall (anyone who has lived near a brocolli farm knows this is the most horendous odour ever!).

I was suspicious of the smell as I had just done a major cage cleaning yesterday, which also involves moving all of my living room furniture so that I can steam-mop the hardwood floors. I even resorted to sniffing around near Paco's.. ahem, poop, worried that perhaps he might be sick and that it was his movements that were giving off the odour. Nope.

Finally, my sister phoned and I complained to her about it as I was sniffing around the house trying to figure out where the nasty smell was coming from when she asked if I had strawberries. I told her that I had given Paco one earlier, and that I had completely forgotten about cleaning his small cage after we had used it. As soon as I walked into the spare room, the foul smell hit me like a ton of bricks! I actually gagged!!!

I had to hang up from my sister so that I could deal with it immediately. I scrubbed the cage and all the perches so hard it would have satisfied Jill! I now have the air purifier on full blast and the windows all open airing out the place.

I had no idea that strawberries spoiled so fast, nor did I know that they got so nasty when they did! I'm not supposed to eat strawberries anyway, and I can't imagine that they are so beneficial to Paco that I would need to keep offering them, so I threw the whole works out, and I'll stick to grapes as his sweet-treat. I'd much rather scrape grape skins off the wall and floor than to put up with the foul smelling strawberries... If he gets them again, it'll be while we are outside with the harness.

So, with spring here, and strawberries coming back into season, for those of you who might be wondering what the foul smell is, check to see if there is even a remnant of the berry anywhere in the vicinity. Yuck!

Thanks Jay, you might have ruined me for life, if I hadn't already sworn them off due to their high uric acid level and my ability to pump out enough kidney stones per year to recreate the Great Barrier Reef!

Janet, remember, I'm in Canada, the majority of our produce is imported at all times except for our short growing season, and often not until late summer/fall when it is our harvest time. It could be something like that, and the fact that our berries have probably been on a boat for weeks!

Jay, this is what I came up with... I cleaned the berries, but they were still stinky!

"STRAWBERRIES - Cleaning

Strawberries are frequently highly infested with tiny insects although they may appear to be insect-free. The trained eye can find these on the outside of the berries and particularly on and under the green cap.

1. Either:

1. Cut off the green leaf with about 1mm of the fruit, or

2. Carefully twist off the green, Don’t pull, otherwise you’ll make a hole into which the tiny insects can fall.

2. Cut off any mushy parts as well as deep folds.

3. If in the process of doing this you’ve reached the cavity, cut the strawberry in half and check internally for worms.

4. Rinse the strawberries in very soapy water, gently rubbing under the green leaves.

5. Rinse the soap off under running water."

• Haha 1

I spray them and all fruits and veggies with hydrogen peroxide let them sit a few minutes then rinse well the I use a little vinegar water for the final scrub and rinse with clear water. This removes any insecticide as well as the usual dirt and bacterial nasties.

Good idea, remember, when you use "hydrogen peroxide", you dilute it 10 to 1 and do a clear water rinse, then re-rinse with "apple cider vinegar" not white....Some people use "GSE" Grapefruit Seed Extract, I prefer vinegar.... Jayd

I scrubbed the cage and all the perches so hard it would have satisfied Jill!

Ha Ha Ha! I don't know what you mean :) I think fresh strawberries stink, never mind rotten ones!! They don't smell like "strawberry fragranced" anything! They are awful!!

Great post Ryan - and oh what a modern man you are - cleaning tips, from a bloke, whatever next!!!

Haha Jill! You will notice that Jay lovingly pushed me along. I normally throw something like that out there in the hopes that he and Dan, our resident researchers will allow me to continue to be lazy and just wait for the answer! I think everyone is starting to catch on to my ways! Anyway, strawberries are now on my nasty list, and will no longer be served, Hydrogen Peroxide or not. I thought the apple cider vinegar was going to solve all my problems...