NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD syndrome)

JillyBeanz

We all know the importance of sunlight for our birds, but something I have noticed is that since the clocks changed to British Summertime (BST) and sunrise is about 6am, and sunset about 8.30pm, Harvey has changed character.

I have had a terrible few months with him biting and other behaviour problems, but the difference in him is immense.

So - could parrots suffer from SAD syndrome like some humans do? It just seems too much of a coincidence that his personality has changed so much (he's like one of those African Greys that are advertised - cuddly, sweet, gorgeous.....)!

This could be what has tipped me over regarding UV lighting and perhaps the difference that it would make for his behaviour, as well as his health.

• Haha 1

We have two room of birds, our Conures, 'Tiels and 'Keets in one room and our big Parrots in the other. With our daylight savings time, very similar to your British summer hours, our fids have not only responded to the summer hours but have changed their personal time-clock. Example: if they were eating at 9am, when we changed the clocks to 10am, you would think they would eat at 10am. But no, they still eat at 9am, which is a full hour before DST. So that means, it's sad for me, not them. It messes up my eating and sleeping time :)

Grey't Post Jilly...

Maggie

Yes it must be true, Ana Grey is talking more now. The "Want some apple" is now accompanied by " I'll be good." Where did that come from. I do say to her--You be good-- but this is hers, "Want some apple, I'll be good". So it must be the warmer days and sunlight. Frankly, i wouldn't ponder on it too much Jill, just enjoy Harvey's great attitude!!!

Edited by luvparrots

Honestly, I doubt very much that what's going on with your bird has anything to do with lighting. In the wild both here in the US and the UK, the length of the daylight changes. Normally, when that happens, parrots adjust to that and when doing that, aggression has nothing to do with it. What does change is their activities.

I don't wanna sound like a broken record but I can't tell you how many times that I've told people here that a grey will go through changes as it ages. More of their natural parrot adolescence comes out. People get bothered by the slight aggressiveness and personality change that finally shows itself. The bird is no longer the *cuddly* bird that it was. Their true personality includes aloofness, more independence, loss of interest in many toys that are around, not wanting to be bothered as much, more aggressive attitudes when some of those things are interfered with. Usually, a normal healthy bird will go through the process I just described. There's no time limit to how long it may last. It's also a time that an owner needs to relearn the facts of a maturing bird as opposed to a baby bird and the changes that are going on and has to accept that babyhood is fading away.

Of course you can buy a light but a light doesn't change how the bird will be as it grows up.

PS--I've never heard the expression *SAD syndrome ** applied to birds

Dave is spot on.

There has been no change in our birds here at home or the birds at Mickaboo's rescue (50+).

I will say though, I have seen more aggression in some of the mature birds since spring started, especially the Zons.

It's Spring, when a young man's fancy turns--- And so do the birds, at least the outdoor ones have.
Ha Ha! I'll have to watch out.....!

Oh well, that puts pay to that idea then. I just find it extremely strange that a button has been flicked since the longer days started and Harvey is now back to his happy little self (after my hands looking like I'd poked them through the bars of a lion's den)!

I'll just enjoy it while it lasts - and when he turns into a monster again you will all have to just put up with my moaning!!!

Perhaps you made it through the nasty period Jill. That may have been in, and now Harvey is more of who he will be when he is fully grown. Hahahahahhahahahaha! Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face on that one! I read somewhere that Dave posted the 5 year mark for mature bird. Your little Harvey is still far from that, but if misery likes company, Paco has started biting me now if he is feeling intolerant of anythang that I'm doing, or not doing! He'll attack my "scratches hand" if he is on me and not giving him scratches when he wants them, or he'll bite my thumb if he figures we are going somewhere he'd prefer not to go, ie. the shower...

Yesterday putting on the harness caused me to nearly lose my life, although he was happy the whole time he was out hanging around in the magnolia tree...

, I have seen more aggression in some of the mature birds since spring started, especially the Zons.

I would have thought it happened this way too - rather than becoming sweeter in springtime (like everything should when the flowers are dancing on the breeze and the butterflies start to float around) the wild birds have become much more aggressive and territorial.

On the lighting note Jill, it may still be worth investing in a UV lamp - allthough the days are getting longer, unless our birds are out in the open air for most of the day, they still won't be getting the crucial UV rays as these are filtered out through most of the glass we have in our homes, and it's these UV rays that are beneficial to our birds, at least that's the way my vet explained it to me.