NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

"Amazon of the Week, Special" 4/24/10

Jayd

Yellow-crowned vs.Yellow-naped...

This week's Amazon of the Week is a subject I have chosen due to a thread that Talon, our administrator, started and asked the question; "What is the difference between a Yellow-crowned and a Yellow-naped Amazon?" My answer to this question is an extremely complex one and is that I side with those that believe that they are one and the same, just sub-species.

I have included pictures for those of you that like to look...I have enclosed technical data for those of you that need to know...to decide what Amazon that you have...please read on and please check the sites that I have highlighted for further verification.

Thank You!

Jayd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-crowned_AmazonTaxonomyA.

o. ochrocephala

The Amazona ochrocephala complex, which has been described as "a taxonomic headache",[6] is considered a single species by some authorities and split into three species, A. ochrocephala (Yellow-crowned Amazon), A. auropalliata (Yellow-naped Amazon) and A. oratrix (Yellow-headed Amazon), by others. The split is mainly based on the amount of yellow in the plumage, the colour of the legs and bill, the close proximity of the oratrix group and auropalliata group in Oaxaca, Mexico, without apparent interbreeding,[7] and the presence of members of both the nominate group and the auropalliata group in northern Honduras.[8] This evaluation has, however, been confused by misunderstandings regarding the plumage variations in the populations in northern Honduras, where birds vary greatly in amount of yellow on the head, crown and nape, but have pale bills and a juvenile plumage matching the oratrix group, but neither the nominate nor the auropalliata group.[6][9] The taxon caribaea from the Bay Islands is a member of the auropalliata group, and occurs in relatively close proximity to the members of the oratrix group. As caribaea may have a relatively pale lower mandible, this could indicating a level of gene flow between this and the nearby taxa of the oratrix group.[10] If confirmed, this could suggest that the two are better considered conspecific. Alternatively, it has been suggested that caribaea and parvipes, both typically placed in the auropalliata group, may be closer to the oratrix than they are to the auropalliata sensu stricto. Both are relatively small and have red to the shoulder as in the members of the oratrix group, but unlike auropalliata sensu stricto.[6][9]

The members of this complex are known to hybridize in captivity,[6] and recent phylogenetic analysis of DNA did not support the split into the three "traditional" biological species, but did reveal three clades, which potentially could be split into three phylogenetic species: A Mexican and Central American species (incl. panamensis, which extends slightly into South America), a species of northern South America (northern nominate), and a species from the southern Amazon Basin (nattereri, xantholaema and southern nominate).[11] The Central American clade can potentially be split further, with panamensis and tresmariae recognized as two monotypic species. The members of the clade from the southern Amazon Basin should arguably be included as subspecies of the Blue-fronted Amazon, as they are closer to each other than to the northern clades.[11][12][13] Disregarding these problems, the following taxa are part of the Amazona ochrocephala complex as traditionally delimited:[1]

* nominate group ("true" Yellow-crowned Amazon):

o Amazona o. ochrocephala: East-central and south-eastern Colombia, Venezuela, Trinidad, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana and the northern and eastern Amazon Basin in Brazil.

o Amazona o. xantholaema: Marajó Island, in the Amazon River delta of north-eastern Brazil.

o Amazona o. nattereri: Far south-eastern Colombia, eastern Ecuador, eastern Peru, northern Bolivia and south-western Amazon Basin of Brazil (east to around Mato Grosso). Often included in A. o. ochrocephala.[4]

o Amazona o. panamensis: Western Panama to north-western Colombia; sometimes called the Panama Amazon

* auropalliata group (Yellow-naped Amazon):

o Amazona a./o. auropalliata: Southern Mexico to north-western Costa Rica.

o Amazona a./o. parvipes: Mosquito Coast in eastern Honduras and north-eastern Nicaragua.

o Amazona a./o. caribaea: Bay Islands, Honduras.

* oratrix group (Yellow-headed Amazon):

o Amazona o./o. oratrix: Pacific and Gulf slopes of Mexico.

o Amazona o./o. tresmariae: Tres Marías Islands, off west-central Mexico.

o Amazona o./o. belizensis: Belize.

o Amazona o./o. hondurensis: Sula Valley, Honduras.

Description

Head and upper body

Subspecies in the nominate group (including subspecies xantholaema, nattereri and panamensis) have a total length of 33–38 cm (13–15 in). As most other Amazon parrots, it has a short squarish tail and a primarily green plumage. It has dark blue tips to the secondaries and primaries, and a red wing speculum, carpal edge (leading edge of the wing at the "shoulder") and base of the outer tail-feathers.[1] The red and dark blue sections are often difficult to see when the bird is perched, while the red base of the outer tail-feathers only infrequently can be seen under normal viewing conditions in the wild.[2] The amount of yellow to the head varies, with nominate, nattereri and panamensis having yellow restricted to the crown-region (occasionally with a few random feathers around the eyes[2] ), while the subspecies xantholaema has most of the head yellow.[1] All have a white eye-ring. They have a dark bill with a large horn or reddish spot on the upper mandible except panamensis, which has a horn coloured beak. Males and females do not differ in plumage. Except for the wing speculum, juveniles have little yellow and red to the plumage.[1]

http://www.avianweb.com/yellowcrownedamazon.html

Description:

* Size: 12-15 inches (~35 cm)

* Average weight: 480 to 680 grams

* Their noticeable features are the green forehead and crown and a yellow band across the lower nape and hind neck. Some birds develop more yellow than others. Others don't develop any yellow feathers at all. Yellow feathers may increase with maturity. Yellow feathers are also at the back of the neck (nape).

* Dark gray beak with the base of the upper beak being somewhat lighter.

* Grey feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-naped_Amazon

Amazona_ochrocephala_-Jardim_dos_Lo.jpg

yellownapemaleandfemale.jpg

YellownapedParrot2.jpg

YellowcrownedAmazon2.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

600px-Yellow-crowned_Amazon_Amazona.jpg

220px-Amazona_auropalliata_-Roatan_.jpg

170px-Amazona_auropalliata_-captivi.jpg:o:o

Edited by Jayd
  • Haha 1

So basically the yellow crowned and yellow naped major differences: The yellow crowned has a large area of white skin surrounding the eye and the sides of the upper mandible are pink. The yellow naped has a dark beak, not prominent skin patch around eye. Immature birds are more difficult to tell apart at first glance, since most of the yellow feathers don't come in before 15 months of age. Thanks, Jayd!

As you can see from my Avatar photo, sunshine is certainly a yellow crowned amazon! The red feathers on the tip of his shoulders will become more prominent as he matures, you can't see them at all in this photo...

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone for your positive comments and feedback. I really enjoy posting these weekly posts and really glad that you enjoy them. Yes, underneath the feathers and skin, they are all basically the same birds. The only difference with our Salsa is that instead of red on her wing bend, she has orange.

Another interesting fact about Amazons in general, studies have shown that Amazons like to stay in their own tribes of natives and they will pick up the language of the tribes they are staying with. So, if you have ten tribes each two miles apart with their own flock of Amazons, you'll have ten different dialects (if all tribes have their own dialects.)

Jayd

WOW! Jayd, You've outdone yourself! I apologize for taking so long to read this, but I wanted to wait until I had the time to really absorb it.

You have described Nilah to a tee! She has the red and blue on her wings and it is beautiful! I wonder, will her eyes change at all as she gets older, I see the first picture you have of a yellow crowned has a reddish ring around its eyes.

Thank you for taking the time away from your flock to teach us all you do. What an honor to have you as a valued family member here. We are all very lucky! :)

This is what I found......Jayd

Yellow Crowned Amazons (Amazona ochrocephala ochrocephala) are an attractive parrot averaging 14 inches (36cm) in length with a wingspan of eight to eight and a half inches (198 - 220 mm). Like most Amazons, their plumage is largely green with bright red wing edging. The underside of the tail is a yellow-green with a red spot at the base of each tail feather. The beak is a dark gray color and the base and a portion of the upper mandible is a pink color.

The eyes are marked by orange irises.

Young Yellow Crowns exhibit the same colors as the mature adults, but it is typically more muted and the yellow is not as developed.

They also have dark irises.

Males and Females exhibit no noticeable differences therefore DNA sexing will be necessary to determine the sex.

http://www.cuckoosnestaviary.com/BreedingPairs/MIYCAmazon.cfm

• Haha 1