NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Yellow Crown vs Yellow Naped

Talon

Well, I just learned after looking at the difference in coloring between NIlah and the video that Dave posted, that Nilah looks quite different.

I now see that Yellow Crowned Amazons are not the same as Yellow Naped Amazons...I was told and some research says they are the same. But I just learned they are not!

Any info anyone has on the difference would be greatly appreciated. I would love to learn the difference besides coloring. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Jayd will fill you in with loads of interesting details but meantime, the basic differences are that the yellow crowned (yellow headed) amazon has the more gentle and sweet personality of the bunch. They are also not such proficient talkers as the yellow nape and double yellow headed. There are differences in the coloring of the beak, but the immature double yellow head, for example, has yellow only on its crown, similar to the yellow crowned amazon, whereas the yellow nape may have little or no yellow feathers on its nape. This yellow spreads as the bird reaches maturity. Can you please post a couple of photos of Nilah so that I can get a good look at her? I can't seem to find any right now.

I don't think that your Nilah is a yellow crowned because she is showing exceptional talking ability. Some yellow napes also have some yellow on their crown.

Here is a photo of a typical yellow crowned amazon:

Yellowcrownedamazonmale.jpg

Edited by SunnyBird

I'm sure Jayd will fill you in with loads of interesting details but meantime, the basic differences are that the yellow crowned (yellow headed) amazon has the more gentle and sweet personality of the bunch. They are also not such proficient talkers as the yellow nape and double yellow headed. There are differences in the coloring of the beak, but the immature double yellow head, for example, has yellow only on its crown, similar to the yellow crowned amazon, whereas the yellow nape may have little or no yellow feathers on its nape. This yellow spreads as the bird reaches maturity. Can you please post a couple of photos of Nilah so that I can get a good look at her? I can't seem to find any right now.

I don't think that your Nilah is a yellow crowned because she is showing exceptional talking ability. Some yellow napes also have some yellow on their crown.

Here is a photo of a typical yellow crowned amazon:

I have posted photo's of Nilah, but I will repost them. I do know for a fact that she is a Yellow Crown Amazon, well all her paperwork from the breeder and various other breeders and owners have said they agree. She is an incredible talker, but I think that is due to her breeder and care as a baby. She was bred from the best and never caged, and was hand handled from the day she was born by various people. Well, that's my reasoning anyways....:)

I have posted photo's of Nilah, but I will repost them. I do know for a fact that she is a Yellow Crown Amazon, well all her paperwork from the breeder and various other breeders and owners have said they agree. She is an incredible talker, but I think that is due to her breeder and care as a baby. She was bred from the best and never caged, and was hand handled from the day she was born by various people. Well, that's my reasoning anyways....:)

I didn't see you post any photos so I went back and looked at some videos you posted a long time ago. Yep sure does look like a YCA... I think the excellent start at talking she has must be connected with having a multi talking bird household. Younger human siblings always learn faster than only children too! :)